Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW bike rack v other tailgate bike racks?

S

Solgal

VIP Member
We are looking into buying a bike rack for our 2013 Beach. Being new to vw camping we would love some advice! We will be carrying 2 bikes and are thinking about the vw tailgate bike holder. We've loved the thule car bike racks in the past but the tailgate ones they produce seem to be tow ball mounted. One thing that I noticed was the height of the vw seems to go above the van. Any advice of your experience of the vw tailgate would be great or should we go for something different?

I have used both - the official VW one (which I have now sold) and the Thule rack. I cannot remember the Thule ref number, but yes, you can get Thule racks for the T5 tailgate.

Both have the disadvantage of the bikes sticking above the rear of the van some way - nothing you can do about that, take care at car parks!! I think the VW one is better engineered and looks much tidier, probably easier to get on and off in the winter etc, but a major problem with the VW one is that if you do not make sure the locking clamps are tight when not in use, on a long run the clamps and arms can just fall off. This has happened to people here and a friend with a Caddy rack which is very similar. Whether or not the current model has got round that problem I don't know

For me, the Thule rack has the advantage of being easier and cheaper to repair and get spares for, and to adapt for unusual loads e.g. my dismantled tandem. But it boils down to personal choice I guess.

Lewis

Good afternoon,

Just to let you know that forum VIP members can get the genuine VW tailgate rack for £444.00 inc vat.

I have two left in stock at the moment.

If you are not local then shipping is around £30 depending on location. So you are still saving on the retail price.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards

Steve :D

Have a look at the Atera Linea as well if you are thinking of a tailgate rack. I've got one and been very pleased with it. Quick to take on and off and nicely made.
As with the VW rack the bikes will be higher than the roof. This is because the wheel trays sit above the numberplate for visability.

Pic of 2 bikes on mine on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4915

Thanks for your advice and suggestions! So quick too :p

Back