Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW bike rack

Chris Dawson

Chris Dawson

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I picked up my new T6 Ocean in April. I had VW fit a four bike rack as an extra. Whilst driving through Spain (without any bikes fitted), I heard a boom from the back of the vehicle. I pulled over to find the bike rack had dropped down. I checked all the fixing and repositioned it . However within a couple of miles it happened again. I therefore had to tie a wire to it to stop it happening! I have reported it to the supplier but so far no joy. It is of course dangerous and so I have had to fit a tie to hold it in place. Has anyone else experienced this problem? My old Beach had a tie fitted but this new bike rack just relies on pressure !

I know this is an old thread but we’ve just had the same happen. We stopped and checked the rack and put the back in to the closed the rack. We then continued our journey and it did it again after a few miles. I could have put the first one down to “one of those things” but the fact it did it again after we’d been especially careful checking it was properly in the upright position means there’s something wrong.

The weather was very windy and it could be that is doing 70 on the M6 and a gust from the side triggered it. We certainly didn’t hit any bumps or potholes.

If needs another clip on the top and It terrified the car following us who slammed on their brakes.

I’m going to contact CS as there’s a definite design issue.

There is another rather long thread in here on the same issue. Some have had the problem. We have never discovered it with ours. It is rather tight when snapping by locking.

Thanks @Kmann Ill try to find that thread. I agree there’s a very positive snap when you close the rack - it’s clearly just not positive enough! When it was fitted I was surprised at the lack of any top fixing but you assume the device has been tested extensively.

Thanks @Kmann Ill try to find that thread. I agree there’s a very positive snap when you close the rack - it’s clearly just not positive enough! When it was fitted I was surprised at the lack of any top fixing but you assume the device has been tested extensively.

I never tried this, but I am sure you can move the "snapper lock". If you move it as low as possible it might be better (less tension)? Mine is placed close to the buttom when the rack is locked … does that make sense?

Never thought of it before. But maybe the position of the lock is the difference between success and failure?

Last edited: