Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Buying Experience

A

amountainhigh

Vehicle
Looking to buy
A brand new impressive 4 floor VW dealership has opened in West London (visible from the M4) yet to see/enquire about a VW California I'm forced to go the arse-end of an industrial estate. I understand the California is based on the Transporter van but it's not quite the buying experience you'd expect when potentially spending £60k!

Full order books and a long waiting list will do nothing to affect VW's complacency so it will be interesting to see whether Mercedes entry into the market will force VW to not rest on their laurels. Reading about continued roof issues on the T6 and VW's general apathy to customers there's no doubt they've been relying on customer loyalty for far too long!

A brand new impressive 4 floor VW dealership has opened in West London (visible from the M4) yet to see/enquire about a VW California I'm forced to go the arse-end of an industrial estate. I understand the California is based on the Transporter van but it's not quite the buying experience you'd expect when potentially spending £60k!

Full order books and a long waiting list will do nothing to affect VW's complacency so it will be interesting to see whether Mercedes entry into the market will force VW to not rest on their laurels. Reading about continued roof issues on the T6 and VW's general apathy to customers there's no doubt they've been relying on customer loyalty for far too long!

Saw a 14yr old T4 online last night for €35,000. With residuals like that you can be sure that they feel they can abuse their customer base a little more yet!

I do understand why its preferable to have Cali's distributed via commercial dealers. The chances of them being able to field a question is much better than a main dealer as they deal with thousands of other Transporter variants, and they would always be your service agent as main dealer mechanics won't be trained on commercial vehicles.

What drives me bonkers is how poor the order mgmt process is.... Even with demand high their communications with the client are dreadful at best. Long lead times are, at times, to be expected but some of the stories on here beggar belief.

Ultimately, it's the only product on the market most of us will consider. The MP will win a few hearts but I doubt it'll make a huge dent just yet. As such, VW are at liberty to treat us as they see fit. At least the product's (generally) good!

Why does it matter if you go to an industrial estate ? The Cali is a Cali wherever you buy one from.

New to the planet then?

Saw a 14yr old T4 online last night for €35,000

I wonder how much a mint 2004 (or whenever they first went on sale) T5 Cali would fetch? Would be an interesting comparison.

:welcome I am very happy with my "van centre" they know the base van inside out I am sure my local VW car centre will not have the in-depth understanding of a van. My van centre has been very good at repairs to the "Cali" part of my van. My van centre is in a residential area while my local VW car centre is inside a industrial estate. The way I am treated is the same no difference if looking at a £50k van or buying a £3 part. If waiting for my van I get nice seating TV free Tea Coffee & wifi.
:Iamsorryhow you feel amountainhigh enjoy your search for your van.For info our local Mercedes dealer is at the end of Southampton airports runway and next a building site of the old ford transit factory but looks very nice from the road.

My dealer is on industrial estate. They have always given great service. As above, free wifi, tea, coffee and chat. Always made to feel welcome as they understand EVERY customer is important to them. Their words not mine.

and chat.
forgot that and if the Cali was sold in car centre they would not have a stock of the basic van parts to the same level

I would not let Lookers Vw in Walton on Thames anywhere near my Cali, they managed to scrape the bumper and damage 2 wheels on my new Golf Gtd. God only knows what they would do moving a Cali :mad:

Van centre labour rates are usually cheaper than the retail outlets.
I have used both locally and this is the case.
The retail outlet is close by and therefore more convenient.

From a servicing point of view the car dealers workshops don't have the means to lift the Cali. Only the van centres have the hydraulic lifts that can handle the weight, according to VW Preston.

From a servicing point of view the car dealers workshops don't have the means to lift the Cali. Only the van centres have the hydraulic lifts that can handle the weight, according to VW Preston.

The dealers do come out with some bull**** I'm sure the touareg is possibly the same weight as a Cali? They are dealt with at car dealer network.

I asked a local Vw car dealership (Caffyns) years ago if they would service our Caravelle, they said they could not until it was out of warranty ??

My Dealership is combined Cars & Vans in the same showrooms, separate sales staff but same showroom and serviced in the same workshop but with separate mechanics and separate bays for commercial, large cars and small.
Best of both worlds.:thumb

I wonder how much a mint 2004 (or whenever they first went on sale) T5 Cali would fetch? Would be an interesting comparison.
I got mine (2004/5 Cali CL) 2015 for 36k, 94k km on the clock.

Last edited:
Back