Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California Club Wishlist - We want your feedback

Billy

Billy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We want your feedback!

Since October last year the club has grown day by day and from talking to people we have realised members wanted a 'real club' rather than just a resource to refer to every now and then. We have a brilliant team who put in loads of hours on the forum and website, also a great deal goes on behind the scenes with finding partners and sponsors.

Due to the 'other' website cutting their links with us over the weekend ( for which we have no idea why this has happened ) it has made us realise we now need to have a plan for the future of the club.

Although we charge for VIP membership we are a non profit club and all proceeds go straight back in for the benefit of our members, this includes funding meets, events, competitions, hosting etc...

So, What do you want from the Club? What do you dislike about the club?

We are also working with some manufacturers so as we can bring you dedicated Cali accessories in both single and group discount purchase, what products would you like to see?

In this thread please feel free to tell us or ask us anything We are open to any suggestions you may have and we would love to hear your feedback

Forum Team

What is the plural of glis glis?

(sorry but you did say anything and I have always wondered....)

Might I suggest that all posts that criticise the FB group or the VWCalifornia website be banned, and if posted that they are removed by the moderators ?

That way people like myself will be comfortable using both forums. Although I have no idea why their website has removed the link to this forum, could it be that as they are in the business of selling Cali related products, perhaps they are not happy to refer a competitor.

Someone on here even suggested that they maybe anti T5.1 vans, not helpful.

That's my suggestion for this forum which on all other matters is progressing so well.

Thank you for your suggestion Bernd, I must point out that we are not a competitor in any way and never have been, for a start we do not sell any products, we have been speaking with the VWCalifornia and they were happy for us to continue working alongside each other and then for some reason all links to us were removed without any consultation.

We have always linked back to them and allow promotion of their products on this forum and also in the early days they were offered to be involved with the forum but it was declined.

I don't want anything from a club as such, but would like to see more write-ups and how-tos this is something i'm more than happy to contribute to.
- Group buys are a great idea (in my experance hard to organise)
- Access to a VW technician to answer technical questions would be great ( ie ask the master tech once a month may have to be moderated to stop silly questions that anyone could answer)
- A Parts number database with pictures (eg sidebars, mudflaps)

I'm happy to help with backend web stuff where i can.

Thank you very much for your comments Jamie, a few answers below:

jamie said:
I don't want anything from a club as such, but would like to see more write-ups and how-tos this is something i'm more than happy to contribute to.

Something we are working on, video guides and photo guides in PDF, but we need more members input please.

jamie said:
Group buys are a great idea (in my experance hard to organise)
The companies we are working with are very small and the products will be 'made to order' We are working on putting a system in place to allow this to happen over the coming months, there is even the chance of some bespoke accessories if the interest is there.

jamie said:
Access to a VW technician to answer technical questions would be great ( ie ask the master tech once a month may have to be moderated to stop silly questions that anyone could answer)
We already have this, if you don't get an answer straight away from Alex at VW he will happily answer your PM's, we should also see some more forum input from them over the coming weeks. http://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=79

jamie said:
A Parts number database with pictures (eg sidebars, mudflaps)
We are currently talking to VW head office, I will add this to the list of what we want from them

There seems to be some sort of "issue" with the other site and the FB page - I have no idea whether there's some history or something but it seems quite bizarre. I see nothing wrong with either and nothing wrong with using all of them.

The "criticisms" I've seen haven't come across as anything of the sort - to a relative "outsider" like me, the super sensivity that's clearly evident is rather puzzling.

Flipping it on it's head, I think anything that appears to be over sensitive/defensive should be culled. It's just been lighthearted comments and that's all. Is saying you get more responses here more quickly really so bad?

I posted when I got ours on the FB page, got a few likes and nowt else. On here I've had amazing help, enthusiasm and support. I'm not sure what the issue is but may I suggest that it simply doesn't matter, all can live alongside each other and mentioning a complete lack of email response to sales enquiries isn't exactly an offensive thing to say - it's just helpful to other members.

This is a great website, it's getting busier by the day and it's brilliant. Best £10 I've spent.

I would love to encourage more use of photo's and good campsites, and packing hints and tips all from members.

I think the forum is great and a good source info.

keep up the good work...

I was looking to say something similar to KernowLad but didn't want to hijack another thread! Briefly I think it is about misconstruing observations as criticisms. The turnaround here is far quicker though. OK enough.

I like the way this site is devloping. There is a growing information base which is easily searchable. I look forward to more "products" coming along but equally welcome reviews, equipment heads up, links etc etc. I think the sections on using the Cali are very helpful and site reviews and trip reports go a long way to enhancing the site. I haven't really explored the gallery section here as I have on FB. Seeing vans set up is great and certainly helps me with ideas on what we want/need.
There could be a place for "Special Interest Groups". This gives more opportunity for people to get to know one another and share other interests. I have seen this elsewhere where someone takes the lead and "moderates" a particular forum. MTB; Surf; VDub; seem to be obvious but there could also be family,sports or other hobby sections. It would be good to see more women involved also; it is a bit blokey!!

The way this has devloped in the short time Shani and I have been using it is testament to the hard work of a the staff....and to the contributors for making it informative and fun. A big thanks to you all.

Oh I just remembered one useful item that may help.

Is there a way to mark all read posts and only flag up those that have not been read?

Currently I only look for the most recent posts, but am sure i miss a whole lot of good info.

Cheers
Mark

Maybe a "kids" section to share ideas of camping with little ones?!

KernowLad said:
Maybe a "kids" section to share ideas of camping with little ones?!

My daughter had this idea aswell Matt as quite a few members have kids on here so could be a popular section

LickeyEndBlues said:
MKRW said:
Is there a way to mark all read posts and only flag up those that have not been read?

I use "View Unread Posts" on the main Board Index page. Is that what you are after Mark?

As Iain says that is the best way, I also click on 'mark forums read' ( top right when in index screen) each time I log out, that way when I log back in again it will be all new content I am seeing.

Great thanks...

I also agree a kids section. Only a week to go until we have a new one.
That will make 3 boys and the new Cali arrives in 6 weeks ....

How about some more accessories like a Cali keyring? Plenty of old style camper accessories but next to nothing for the Cali?

Great lub by the way :D

Thanks nobby we are thinking of something along those lines. Keep the idea's coming.

If you post something, and someone replies, is there a way to be alerted that a reply has been posted in your thread.....it probably exists already but I have missed it. :?:

Hi Richard, this is a handy setting, go to User control panel - Board preferences - Edit posting defaults

Then select YES To notify me upon replies by default

Really like your photo V3RN - very stylish!

Just an idea but how about a VW living area mat. I personally don't want a complete living area covered so use a "bath mat". I have seen others use rubber backed door mats.
How about a personalized VW CALIFORNIA door mat? Just scanned interweb and found there are sites that can custom order. £50 is alot for a mat. Group discounts might bring this down to a more pleasant figure.
http://www.floormats.co.uk/

just found this
http://www.matsnationwide.co.uk/logo-mats-p-187.html

Your thoughts?

Thanks for that Chris, I like the idea of the Logo mats ( http://www.matsnationwide.co.uk/logo-mats-p-187.html ) They will also cut to size so we can get a perfect fit for the Cali.

If we get enough interest we can get a quote from them, if anyone else fancies getting some custom mats made up please let us know and we can look further into this.

Back