VW California Configurator

fozzybear

fozzybear

fozzybear63
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,

Looking at buying a new California after the summer after out trip in our T5 to France for 3 weeks. Been using the VW Configurator looking various options. Still can't decide on Manual or DSG (another story). Configurator was working great up to last night and now seems not to be available. I know there is a new 2018 model on the horizon and was wondering if that might be a problem. Is anyone else having a similar problem It would be good to share specifications as I am struggling a bit with how far do I go.

Hi Kevin, and welcome.

I'm in the process of finalising my order and it isn't working for me either.

I was told the configurator would be updated last weekend for MY18 (including the price rises)...it didn't. So I assume that is what's happening now.

As for how far you should go? I can't help you there. I'm having enough trouble stopping myself from adding bits.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It seems to happen when they do an update to the configurator. This happened about three weeks ago when they removed some of the engine / gearbox combinations and increased prices.

I'm hoping that it's going to be the new petrol engine, but it may well be something a whole lot simpler. Should be working again at some point on Monday, if it follows what happened last time.

There are currently some errors on the webpage that still works, for example the top of the page says 'From £40,455' but if you scroll down just a little it shows the Beach 'From £38,214'. Their webpage / configurator are out of line, so it may just be a case of them tidying it up.

Thanks Guys - I guess its great when its working!

I have a manual, but have been won over by the DSG. I would probably tick that option when it comes to replacing my current vehicle.

However, if the purchase is for a long ownership period. I would consider manual as it's a cheaper affair should anything go wrong

The configurator down? Part of the VW experience! ;)

As I work in IT, I find it incredible that it takes them 3 or 4 days to upgrade their website. I assume it's because it's their commercial website, and if it were the car site they'd get a bit more money and do it much quicker.

Can't imagine it'd take 4 days to stick the configurator for the new golf published!!!

I am trying to have an open mind before I test drive the DSG but finding it very difficult as I have always driven manual cars and our T5 California, 180BHP is also manual. I would be looking at the 150 and not the 203. Agree with Soulstydevon that a long term situation would lean towards a manual should anything go wrong. Looking at selling my 2012, California after the summer if any one is interested. Would have around 22k miles and in excellent condition (with the roof sorted).

SOOOooooo......the configurator is back up and only 3 engine options....all 150PS !!!! :shocked

The manual, the DSG and the manual 4Motion!! No 204PS options at all. :(

Well, for the Ocean anyway...haven't checked the Beach yet.

[EDIT - once you select the engine type, the configurator stops working again. Clearly the updates have not been completed yet. ]

Last edited:
Still not working properly though. When you choose an engine and try to progress it shows a problem.

Last edited:
I still can't get into the configurator. I get this message "Sorry, this configuration is no longer available."

I had a look this morning and Cali was back but the "We are currently updating our configurator..." message is still there so didn't bother trying.

I'm guessing the either do the updates by hand or the team responsible get paid per day as its taking an ages!

Beach configurator is working for me. Can't do the Ocean though

Tried the configurator this morning but it's down again. Does anyone have any inside info on a petrol engine version because that's what I'm waiting for. Bilbos are advertising a petrol spec conversion but the only petrol van I know of at the moment is a Caravelle.

Don't think its been working fully for over a week now. I've been checking most days as waiting to put spec together for a quote.

Tried the configurator this morning but it's down again. Does anyone have any inside info on a petrol engine version because that's what I'm waiting for. Bilbos are advertising a petrol spec conversion but the only petrol van I know of at the moment is a Caravelle.
For info only. check out the CO2 emissions and consumption of the petrol variant. I know a local caravelle owner who gets about 24 mpg if lucky and moans about high CO2 as his tax is set on that figure. I think a fully loaded Cali would struggle to get 24 mpg ever. Maybe the Tesla guy will ride to the rescue :)

The configrator has been down for about 2 week. I rang VW customer service yesterday but they could not say when it would be back up.

I've been watching this too, as my order is already in, I want to ensure that there's not a better one around the corner (or 2018 changes/T7 on the horizon...)

I made my dealer aware 10 days ago.

For info only. check out the CO2 emissions and consumption of the petrol variant. I know a local caravelle owner who gets about 24 mpg if lucky and moans about high CO2 as his tax is set on that figure. I think a fully loaded Cali would struggle to get 24 mpg ever. Maybe the Tesla guy will ride to the rescue :)
It's not the CO2 issue although this does effect tax. A lot of city centres are looking at banning Diesel engines due to particulates. Living in and around London and the van being my daily drive this would effect me.

Don't think its been working fully for over a week now. I've been checking most days as waiting to put spec together for a quote.
I was in a similar position but have gone ahead and put an order in anyway. You can use the latest price list as this was effective from June 2nd for MY18. However, beware there are a few obvious errors on it (e.g. a cupboard option for the beach and standard suspension as a cost option).

Dealers' systems are up to date so they will (at least a good one will) be able to guide you through it. Having said that I still keep checking because I want to make sure everything is as it should be.

There is nothing new coming that the dealers don't already know about - it's just the public configurator that is lagging behind. MY18 and the higher prices effective from 2 June. For the Beach the only new standard item is the city safety. Didn't ask about the Ocean.

Just checked and it's now working for Crafter, Caddy and Amarok. For over a week it was just the Crafter...so I guess they're making some progress?

I see the German Konfigorator has had a redesign so could explains why the uk one is still not back up.

Not up for me. :( Can take a while for updates to propagate to all servers I guess.

During the last update (about 3 weeks ago) the only engine option left was the 150PS. The site went down again shortly afterwards. It was basically DSG or Manual, 2WD or 4Motion....same engine all the time.

Back