Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California Ocean Awning Weight Limitations

GollyOlly

GollyOlly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi, I am thinking of mounting the Brandrup Big Box 20L water butt to the side of my Ocean like Brandrup shows on their site. Does any one know the weight load limitations of the awning rail? Since water weighs about one kg per litre, that would mean a gross weight of 20kg (44lbs). The force on the awning rail would be almost straight down toward the ground meaning that may actually work in the awning rail favour. Just wondering whether anyone else has done this? Alternately, does anyone know the weight of the factory mounted awning on the VW California Ocean?

The awning is 19.8 kgs according to this link.
So the weight of your 20L water butt is almost the same as the awning but don't forget the water butt will have its weight distributed over a much shorter distance/area than the awning and consequently will exert a much higher load.

That's a good point, Jabberwocky.

So, I could mount an aluminium flat bar using the awning thumbscrews to distribute the weight between two points, (or more, depending upon how many thumbscrews secure the flat bar to the awning rail). Thoughts? And mucho thanks for letting me know the weight of the awning!

I hadn't looked at the Brandrup photos but I see they use a section of Cador webbing.
This seems like a good approach. I am reasonably sure this would work quite well in cool conditions but in direct sunshine with very high surface temperatures? Hmm, not so sure about that.

Sorry I can't quite visualise your idea of an aluminium flat bar with thumb screws so difficult to comment.

1616690678761.png

Well, you've been a big help anyway. I think I have to agree with you about the Cador. I was more worried about the weight of the full water butt pulling the awning rail off the mounts.

Guys, you are getting your assumptions wrong regarding the awning. It does weight 20kg, but it is supported by two brackets screwed on the top side frame of the vehicle, not by the rails. Please go check out you vehicles.

Thanks Calimili, but the question was about hanging the Brandrup 20L water butt off the awning rail and how much weight the awning rail could take. I understand that the awning is supported by the screwed brackets and not the awning rail. Looking at previous threads, the awning rail is glued to the body and will only hold about 38kgs before it pops off. I'd like to be able to use something a bit more secure than relying on a bonding agent to hold a water butt. I'm beginning to think the best way to use the solar butt is to leave it on a chair in the sun and not on the Cali.

Back