Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California Ocean Styling Packages

HectaTheSpecta

HectaTheSpecta

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi all,

Looking to re-order an Ocean by the end of August 2020 and since I last looked at the online configurator there's a couple of new options that can be ticked :

Sport Styling Package
Style Package

Has anyone got any more info or pictures for the above please?

Thank you.

Thank you mate, that's very useful.

It was a tad difficult to pass judgement until I knew what the option(s) were and I totally agree, not very good vfm

No 'S' mode on DSG boxes in future. I do use this from time as I find 'D' a bit sluggish to respond but fine for most occassions. Shame that.

Mind you, the flippy flappy paddles help with a bit of overtaking. Would miss them too. Admittedly, theyre not used all that much.

No 'S' mode on DSG boxes in future. I do use this from time as I find 'D' a bit sluggish to respond but fine for most occassions. Shame that.

Mind you, the flippy flappy paddles help with a bit of overtaking. Would miss them too. Admittedly, theyre not used all that much.
Wonder is sport is still available as part of DCC But yes sport mode will be missed

I agree. l will miss the sports mode. Was really useful for sharpish getaways from junctions.

I never use Sports mode but do knock it sideways into the Manual +/- option very often.

I never use Sports mode but do knock it sideways into the Manual +/- option very often.
The S mode is really useful in helping engine braking for those of us who have Cali's with DSG and live in hilly areas... As it holds the gear longer and disables the 'cruise' function it makes steep descents much safer... as well as quicker getaways..... that its no longer specified is a step backwards....

The S mode is really useful in helping engine braking for those of us who have Cali's with DSG and live in hilly areas... As it holds the gear longer and disables the 'cruise' function it makes steep descents much safer... as well as quicker getaways..... that its no longer specified is a step backwards....
The Environmentalists don't see it that way I'm afraid.

I've spent hours configuring and comparing with and without this pack and it's driving me mad! I want a Cherry Red one and think the black styling goes well. To us it would cost £1k for the styling pieces around the under carriage as we'd pay for 18" wheels anyway and also the chrome pack if we don't have the sport pack (as like the black panel on the front door and also the chrome just gives the body a bit of extra quality look). We wouldn't have chrome wit the sport pack as it then spoils the black and red combo. Thing is would we lose out at resale? Can't imagine this pack having much residual value. Has anyone seen one yet in real life? Thanks for help!

I've spent hours configuring and comparing with and without this pack and it's driving me mad! I want a Cherry Red one and think the black styling goes well. To us it would cost £1k for the styling pieces around the under carriage as we'd pay for 18" wheels anyway and also the chrome pack if we don't have the sport pack (as like the black panel on the front door and also the chrome just gives the body a bit of extra quality look). We wouldn't have chrome wit the sport pack as it then spoils the black and red combo. Thing is would we lose out at resale? Can't imagine this pack having much residual value. Has anyone seen one yet in real life? Thanks for help!
You can blackout the B pillar with one of these if you decide not to. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/?s=B+pillar.

Options like this don’t offer anything at resale. It will be a good looking California for sure, but others won’t pay a premium at resale. I wouldn’t factor that in. If you like it and want a campervan that other California owners might think looks a little different when you park next to them, then go for it. Nobody else will notice I feel.

Aha I didn't realise you can buy the B pillar black aftermarket. Much cheaper option! Thanks for your comments.
Also don't really like any of the standard wheels. Which no cost option would be worth most to sell do you think? I imagine the Woodstock as I think they're new?

Aha I didn't realise you can buy the B pillar black aftermarket. Much cheaper option! Thanks for your comments.
Also don't really like any of the standard wheels. Which no cost option would be worth most to sell do you think? I imagine the Woodstock as I think they're new?

Woodstock, I’d say. Great looking wheel. Brand new design.

Hi, to belatedly add to this... i'm looking to spec this Sports Styling Pack - from what I have learnt and can see (on the configurator) it comes with the following - £ values estimated...

Black B-pillar - £120 (dealer fit quote)
Darker Window Tints - £200 (estimate)
Black wing-mirror caps - £50 (estimate)
Black Springfield Wheels - Edition - £1,725 (rader.de)
Black Under Chassis protection - £300 (estimate)
Darker LED rear light clusters - £450 (spares.de)
Black accents to arches, sills, boot - £100 (estimate)
Estimate - £2,825

If you wanted to add the above to a stock vehicle - i think you would be looking at £2,500 - £3,000.

Is it worth the option price of £2,650 - of course not - this is a VW upgrade - you don't get a sufficient credit for the value of the standard parts.

An option price closer to £2,000 would be more palatable.

Still think it looks good tho!

Cheers, SB

I agree. l will miss the sports mode. Was really useful for sharpish getaways from junctions.

Going to make handbrake turns more difficult without S mode o_O

Sport mode was a great For the getaway from the bank job we pulled to pay for the California. Still suffering from balaclava itch mind you

I would be VERY peed off if I had an Ocean 6.1 on order now and it came as a My21 without S mode on DSG box

I would be VERY peed off if I had an Ocean 6.1 on order now and it came as a My21 without S mode on DSG box
Can’t say as I’m too happy about that with my recent order, but nothing I can do. Gone for the 199 so should be nippy enough anyway.

Can’t say as I’m too happy about that with my recent order, but nothing I can do. Gone for the 199 so should be nippy enough anyway.
‘S’ mode doesnt make the van any faster, nor does it accelerate quicker. All it does is hold it in gear longer so the higher rev range is used more. I.e. coming into a corner in S would drop down to say 2nd and hold in 2nd at higher revs meaning power is there when you come out of the corner. Having said that the cornering abilities of a California are similar to turning an oil tanker.

‘S’ mode doesnt make the van any faster, nor does it accelerate quicker. All it does is hold it in gear longer so the higher rev range is used more. I.e. coming into a corner in S would drop down to say 2nd and hold in 2nd at higher revs meaning power is there when you come out of the corner. Having said that the cornering abilities of a California are similar to turning an oil tanker.
Obviously you have never experienced a Cali fitted with the heavy duty anti-roll bars and the 30 mm lower springs. Apparently these mods transform it into something rather more athletic than the said tanker.

Obviously you have never experienced a Cali fitted with the heavy duty anti-roll bars and the 30 mm lower springs. Apparently these mods transform it into something rather more athletic than the said tanker.
Haha! Still not exactly featherweight!

Back