Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California Road Trip to Italy in 2020

I am planning a trip to Italy next year but it will be a few weeks earlier than this road trip (over Easter). Is Easter a terrible time to visit Italy? I am thinking that a lot of campsites, restaurants and other places of interest could be closed.
Any of you frequent visitors to Italy have experience over Easter?
Hello Johnny
We went to Italy on Easter since I was a child (not every year though), and it is perfect to find an early spring. This year we visit Tuscany the 2 weeks after easter. Tourists are there, enough campsites are open, but it is not too crowded or too hot, so we never go in summer ...
Roland

Please count us in . We haven't even been on a trip yet.But if it's possible and I dont know how many you are taking ,we are 100 % interested.

We picked up our cali (Basil) today from Tonbridge SMG.

The salesman Martin is very very good at his job,we highly recommended him.

Regards John and Gwen

@MattBW , @dayslikethis and myself are currently planning a road trip down to Lake Como in Italy for May 2020, we have already had a great response to this on Facebook so it looks like we have plenty of interest.

The initial plan is to drive down to Italy in convoy over the course of three days and arriving at Lake Como where we will be meeting some members of the VW California Club (Italy) for the weekend. We also have a great contact down in Italy who is researching campsites for us as well as a few day trip's.

This is all in the planning stage at the moment and we will keep you all updated once campsites and dates are confirmed later in the year.

Remember, this is for 2020 and not this year

View attachment 40585
Hello Martin, how many days in total are we possibly looking at if trip goes ahead please. Thanks Lorri & Doug.

Hello Martin, how many days in total are we possibly looking at if trip goes ahead please. Thanks Lorri & Doug.

Hi there, it's all very early days at the moment but we are looking at 3 days travelling down and then a long weekend in Italy. Everyone will then either stay at the site or go their own way.

Hi there, it's all very early days at the moment but we are looking at 3 days travelling down and then a long weekend in Italy. Everyone will then either stay at the site or go their own way.
Thanks Martin

@MattBW , @dayslikethis and myself are currently planning a road trip down to Lake Como in Italy for May 2020, we have already had a great response to this on Facebook so it looks like we have plenty of interest.

The initial plan is to drive down to Italy in convoy over the course of three days and arriving at Lake Como where we will be meeting some members of the VW California Club (Italy) for the weekend. We also have a great contact down in Italy who is researching campsites for us as well as a few day trip's.

This is all in the planning stage at the moment and we will keep you all updated once campsites and dates are confirmed later in the year.

View attachment 40585
Please keep me in the loop as I to am very interested in going. Regards Dave

View attachment 40585
Sounds good I’m interested

Thanks to everyone who has responded both on here , Facebook and via PM.

I must admit we had no idea this would be so popular as we originally thought we would have just 10 vans but we are now at over 50!

Due to this being the first time we have ever attempted something like this we may have to restrict numbers, also we could do with another organiser to join the team, especially if you have done the route before or if you are a French speaker?

Last edited:
Count us in please. Interested.

Intrested
290ee2fb85c8800f91a72a138d10009d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hell yes, this sounds great fun. Now i have my camper, aka little robin, she needs an adventure planning :) :bananadance2

I am planning a trip to Italy next year but it will be a few weeks earlier than this road trip (over Easter). Is Easter a terrible time to visit Italy? I am thinking that a lot of campsites, restaurants and other places of interest could be closed.
Any of you frequent visitors to Italy have experience over Easter?
We toured Italy between 20 November 2017 and 7 February 2018 (79 nights). Most campsites were closed, but many were open all year. Those that were open had reduced facilities, typically only one heated toilet block open, were quiet but with a strong community feel. The exception was Camping de Wijnstok in Imperia which was diabolical in nearly every respect.

And us.

AlanC

We’re interested. :thumb

Hellow everyone

Souds interesting and we'd love to attend a meet with you all but my spouse is kindergarten teacher and we have two children so everything outside a school holiday is unfortunately a no go for us :(
We are still dreaming of a COTF in the summer months ;)
Been twice to Italy and it's fascinating and... special; will certainly go back.
Enjoy Italy and the road trip!

Many greetings
Calibusje

Great Idea - we are up for it (with a cairn terrier in tow), please add us to the list:thumb

We still need extra volunteers for this to go ahead, anyone interested please get in touch.