Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T6 Ocean 204 PS vs 150 PS?

My only problem with the 150 is that I want both 4 motion and DSG and it does not appear to be an option.
I have a 150 4motion DSG - bought in Spain though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Of course (and it's your choice to tinker with a vehicle under warranty) there are an increasing number of non-intrusive (plug in) engine chips that will give you, on average, 10% better economy and 20% more power, taking the 150 PS up to 180PS and a similar torque to the 204PS. Combine this with the DSG and I'm confident the only place you'd notice the difference was in your pocket.

I'm tempted when my T6 150PS DSG Beach arrives. As I said, just plugs in and unplugs for servicing. You'd be taking a gamble not letting your insurance company know though!
Any more info on this @Rhyddin? E.g. where to go / what to search for?

I don't understand, if it is so easy to get more power and torque whilst achieving better fuel consumption and without damaging the engine or gearbox, why don't the manufacturers do this from the off?

I don't understand, if it is so easy to get more power and torque whilst achieving better fuel consumption and without damaging the engine or gearbox, why don't the manufacturers do this from the off?
Exactly!
However, although remaps and these chip boxes can make the vehicle perform " better " it will be at the expense of something. Emissions would be top of the list.:thumb

https://www.chipexpress.com

Concerned about the power output of the 150?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Totally happy with the power output, but better fuel economy would not be a bad thing

I still stand by my original comments in my initial van review that the 150 is great, I do not feel like I'm lacking power ever. I do definitely drive more conservatively (i.e. slowly!) than I did in my car due to fuel consumption, and because I occasionally scare myself in corners.

It is my daily driver and I live at 300m on a mountain, which canes the fuel economy, if I could get that down a bit then great.

Thanks for the link WG :)

Totally happy with the power output, but better fuel economy would not be a bad thing

I still stand by my original comments in my initial van review that the 150 is great, I do not feel like I'm lacking power ever. I do definitely drive more conservatively (i.e. slowly!) than I did in my car due to fuel consumption, and because I occasionally scare myself in corners.

It is my daily driver and I live at 300m on a mountain, which canes the fuel economy, if I could get that down a bit then great.

Thanks for the link WG :)

I would take a giant pinch of salt with regards to the supposed fuel consumption claims.

I asked this very question and a Mercedes dealer, of all people, answered the question:

Basically, a manufacturer has to take all the country specific emission and regulation requirements for all the countries in its potential chosen market and then include all of them into the model that it ships. Therefore, each and every model in Europe, for example, is legally compliant to be sold in every country in Europe, even when it is overkill in some/most of the countries.

As a result, what a UK chip does is remap the engine to be UK compliant only and our regulations are such that it results in a power increase. Good news but also points out that we are not as conscientious as some of our European neighbours.

He emphasised the example that the Mercedes C200 & C220 (or any other class, for that matter) are literally exactly the same engine hardware with the differentiation being nothing more than software. Same with the Mini and the Mini Cooper - nothing more than software, apparently.

Well, in this case the vw engines are different with different number of turbos etc. Each to their own, but I would never mess arround with chip tuning on a new vehicle.

Well, in this case the vw engines are different with different number of turbos etc. Each to their own, but I would never mess arround with chip tuning on a new vehicle.
You're right, there is a physical difference between the 150PS and the 204PS due to the extra turbo (much like, further to my example, the Mercedes C220 vs. C250). A chip would get the single turbo engine closer to the power of the extra turbo but not match it.

I'm intrigued but will probably not do anything to my Cali when it comes unless I feel there's a performance issue, which I don't anticipate.

Regarding modification of engine output by chipping. If insurers are not notified and you are involved in a serious accident they will inspect and check for any modifications and they do not forgive if not notified prior to event. Engine modifications are high on their list!
If you have a 150PS be happy. I have ordered a 150PS as it is best for my purposes and I am content.

the smaller motor was that it reacts faster as the turbocharger for the 200hp motor reacts a bit sluggish until it kicks in. I drive electric otherwise so am used to instantaneous torque -:)
Yea, don't look at exact data and testdrive engines ;)
450nm at 1300rpm and oh boy it fires right away.
But 450 vs 340 is not a big difference, right?
This graph got me confused the 1st time I glanced because vertical scale isn't same for both graphs. Visually looking like not much of a power difference.
download

youve answered your own question Keith

You mention possible overloading but the 140 manual is allowed to carry 122kg more than the 204 dsg so bigger engine doesn't always mean more pulling power, can mean a lot less payload.
When comparing 110 vs 150kw new engines there is just 33kg difference.
4motion is around 114kg that's a serious difference.

Regarding modification of engine output by chipping. If insurers are not notified and you are involved in a serious accident they will inspect and check for any modifications and they do not forgive if not notified prior to event. Engine modifications are high on their list!
If you have a 150PS be happy. I have ordered a 150PS as it is best for my purposes and I am content.
too right digger - a california is not a sports car - its an overweight commercial vehicle that shouldnt be as good as it is - the 150 is comfy enough, economical enough , fast enough, easy to drive and manoeuvre and entertaining enough if you want to hustle it along .......... it does everything thing surprisingly well and then it does all the fun stuff - weekends away, holidays, outdoor fun home from home - be content be very content

too right digger - a california is not a sports car - its an overweight commercial vehicle that shouldnt be as good as it is - the 150 is comfy enough, economical enough , fast enough, easy to drive and manoeuvre and entertaining enough if you want to hustle it along .......... it does everything thing surprisingly well and then it does all the fun stuff - weekends away, holidays, outdoor fun home from home - be content be very content

Perfectly put.

I would take a giant pinch of salt with regards to the supposed fuel consumption claims.

Our T6 150 Ocean runs at 7litres /100km and its great in all areas and never ceases to amaze me when we go on trips. If u want to boot it you’ll wheel-spin away from standstill( only by accident) and overtaking is never a problem compared to our T4 that was chipped to 135 hp.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Our T6 150 Ocean runs at 7litres /100km and its great in all areas and never ceases to amaze me when we go on trips. If u want to boot it you’ll wheel-spin away from standstill( only by accident) and overtaking is never a problem compared to our T4 that was chipped to 135 hp.

Sorry, but I don’t understand your comment.
2 Vehicles, 3 generations apart and different engines with vastly different technology and emissions profile.

I think everyone agrees that fuel consumption figures have a significant degree of wishful thinking attached. Even the legislature agree, hence the new fuel and emissions testing regime that is being introduced.

No one is doubting the capability of the 150 engine, but the 204 will do more of the same but fuel consumption may be worse.

That was on a long trip covering 5000km in the T6 in town it does 7.7 liters over 100km

After traveling 12,500 km, average fuel consumption at the level of 8.9 l. The 204 PS engine combined with DSG gives a lot of driving pleasure and significantly improves safety. I travel by car for summer trips and everyday trips around the city.

After traveling 12,500 km, average fuel consumption at the level of 8.9 l. The 204 PS engine combined with DSG gives a lot of driving pleasure and significantly improves safety. I travel by car for summer trips and everyday trips around the city.
Pretty much ties up with mine which has averaged 35.18mpg over 6866 miles, or if my conversion is correct 8.03 l per 100km over 11050km. (Slight improvement but 2wd only.) Pretty good for such a perky engine :)

Napęd na cztery koła zwiększa zużycie paliwa, ale fakt, że nadal jest to dobry wynik, biorąc pod uwagę masę i rozmiar samochodu.

Napęd na cztery koła zwiększa zużycie paliwa, ale fakt, że nadal jest to dobry wynik, biorąc pod uwagę masę i rozmiar samochodu.
Surprising how little difference the 4wd has made to consumption on the 204. There is a much bigger difference between our current 204 2wd and our old 180 4motion, which only did around 30 - 31mpg over the time we had it. I guess the technology has moved on.

I've owned both. Had a 150 manual beach. I loved it and never felt the engine wasn't capable of anything.mi had it up to about 114mph on the autobahns with the bike rack falling down and the electric flap flapping in the wind.but it wasn't carrying the kitchen I suppose. I now have the 204 manual ocean and i think this engine is so much sweeter. Leaving cars standing at the lights when your in a 3 ton camper is a good feeling.I would have had another 150 if the price was right. Either way good luck.

Back