Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T6 Recall

What does it involve battery replacement, ecu software upgrade?

ECU reprogram to modify battery management.

Don't know. My dealer told me mine needed the upgrade when I took my Nov 2016 204 hp Ocean in to get a leaking windscreen washer hose replaced. Give your dealer a call.

Thanks. Yours is six months younger than mine but mine is also a 204 Ocean so I'll give the dealer a call.

Is this all T6s ?
I was going to ask whether it was engine battery or leisure batteries as it wasn't mentioned by the OP.
If engine battery then I guess my 16 plate transporter could also be affected?

I was going to ask whether it was engine battery or leisure batteries as it wasn't mentioned by the OP.
If engine battery then I guess my 16 plate transporter could also be affected?
It would be interesting to know more but unfortunately not a lot was said!

I have a Nov 2016 150 hp Ocean, and after seeing this I have asked the dealer if they know of anything. Now waiting for a response.

No worries once my lease ends next month I'll give Carrs a ring and see what the situation is.
Got any trips planned for this year yet?

Interesting regarding the battery recall. I have just got back from a weeks package holiday and was very surprised when i went to use the calie, my battery was completely dead. 4 53v not being started for 9 days but kept in a garage. The leisure batteries were reading 60% on the overhead display. only thing I can think of is - did I leave the front interior light on? or is there a genuine problem. It's only 10 months old ocean 5k on the clock. Have charged the battery on a external 6A charger however even after 14 hours charge the the interior heater won't work. That includes a 80 mile drive today I would of thought there would have been enough charge in it. Any ideas?

Interesting regarding the battery recall. I have just got back from a weeks package holiday and was very surprised when i went to use the calie, my battery was completely dead. 4 53v not being started for 9 days but kept in a garage. The leisure batteries were reading 60% on the overhead display. only thing I can think of is - did I leave the front interior light on? or is there a genuine problem. It's only 10 months old ocean 5k on the clock. Have charged the battery on a external 6A charger however even after 14 hours charge the the interior heater won't work. That includes a 80 mile drive today I would of thought there would have been enough charge in it. Any ideas?
1. Front Interior Light - if you mean the cab light, is on a time delay so switches off automatically after a set interval or if doors locked.

Leisure batteries have to be showing a voltage of at least 11.5 v or greater for the Diesel Heater to start.

I can understand using a separate charger for the Engine Battery, as it only gets a trickle charge from the in-built Charger when plugged into the mains. Have you plugged the Ocean into the Mains- Is the built in Charger working? What voltage are the Leisure Batteries showing?

1. Front Interior Light - if you mean the cab light, is on a time delay so switches off automatically after a set interval or if doors locked.

Leisure batteries have to be showing a voltage of at least 11.5 v or greater for the Diesel Heater to start.

I can understand using a separate charger for the Engine Battery, as it only gets a trickle charge from the in-built Charger when plugged into the mains. Have you plugged the Ocean into the Mains- Is the built in Charger working? What voltage are the Leisure Batteries showing?
The leasure batteries on the overhead display is reading 12.5 v at 90%. Going to put it on charge again over night when I get home ( another 80 miles drive home) the inbuilt charger works, however my external charger was putting a lot more charge in to it. The heater still won't work , not even with the engine running.

Ours was done during a service in December. Knew nothing about it until we picked it up.

The leasure batteries on the overhead display is reading 12.5 v at 90%. Going to put it on charge again over night when I get home ( another 80 miles drive home) the inbuilt charger works, however my external charger was putting a lot more charge in to it. The heater still won't work , not even with the engine running.
Ok, heater should work.

Check Control Panel Diagnostics.

Control panel On
Press and Hold R lower button and then press Control Knob for 5 secs.
New Hidden Menu . Scroll to VW Diagnostics.
If there are any codes shown, take note and then Reset/Clear.
Return to Main Menu.
Switch Off Control Panel using L lower button. Wait 30 secs and Switch On.
Try Heater.

Ok, heater should work.

Control panel On
Return to Main Menu.
Try Heater.[
Ok, heater should work.

Control panel On
Return to Main Menu.
Try Heater.
put my engine battery on charge when I got back tonight, measured the voltage first 12.23v.
Tried the heater again and still not working.

After reading your post regarding Control Panel Diagnostics. I thought I would try

Lost part of the last post.
I thought I would try to reset the control panel, T6 must be slightly different than T5 .
For R I pressed the return button with the control knob, it didn't do anything, I ended up turning the complete panel on and off several times, the panel must of reset itself and the heater is now working correctly.
I still need to find out why the engine battery went dead? I never lock the van when its in the garage, so as for the interior cab light timing out. I might have to experiment with it tomorrow.

Glad to hear it is working. That engine battery voltage is not right, especially after an 80 mile drive.
The Control Panel is exactly the same in the T5 and T6 as is the Software. You have to hold both buttons for at least 5 secs to get to the hidden menu.

Glad to hear it is working. That engine battery voltage is not right, especially after an 80 mile drive.
The Control Panel is exactly the same in the T5 and T6 as is the Software. You have to hold both buttons for at least 5 secs to get to the hidden menu.
Ok, got the diagnostics working on the overhead panel. Just say's No errors found.
Tuesday night charged the engine battery overnight again. LED's on the battery changer from 6A charging down to 1A charge rate reading 15.53 volts (on charge) in the morning (that should be fully charged). Then had a 70 mile drive that day. Left the van over night. Left bonnet open so I could check voltage across terminals without any power being used. Reading was 12.29v I was expecting to see about 12.5 - 12.7. and the leisure batteries read 12.5v + 90%
Then I found In the central phone pocket my daughter has left her cigarette socket USB adaptor plugged in. I can't believe that this should use enough power to flatten a battery in a week, I plugged this adaptor into the socket at the rear of the van to check the power consumption used, it was drifting between 0.0A to 0.2A on the overhead display, therefore I would say its using about 0.1A , over the time away that would be 20 to 30A . Anyway I would of thought The van should of started. Thanks for you help WelshGas. I will keep a check on the voltage and be booking a visit to the dealers soon.

Ok, got the diagnostics working on the overhead panel. Just say's No errors found.
Tuesday night charged the engine battery overnight again. LED's on the battery changer from 6A charging down to 1A charge rate reading 15.53 volts (on charge) in the morning (that should be fully charged). Then had a 70 mile drive that day. Left the van over night. Left bonnet open so I could check voltage across terminals without any power being used. Reading was 12.29v I was expecting to see about 12.5 - 12.7. and the leisure batteries read 12.5v + 90%
Then I found In the central phone pocket my daughter has left her cigarette socket USB adaptor plugged in. I can't believe that this should use enough power to flatten a battery in a week, I plugged this adaptor into the socket at the rear of the van to check the power consumption used, it was drifting between 0.0A to 0.2A on the overhead display, therefore I would say its using about 0.1A , over the time away that would be 20 to 30A . Anyway I would of thought The van should of started. Thanks for you help WelshGas. I will keep a check on the voltage and be booking a visit to the dealers soon.
Ok. The Control Panel Display can show upto 0.2 amps normally as that is what the Panel + Display use until it goes into Sleep Mode.
Some USB adapters can be less than efficient.
I would suggest that there is something up with the charging system. I left my California for 3 weeks at Heathrow. On return. Leisure Battery 100% and 12.7 and Engine Battery 12.5 having run the alarm for all that time. Started 1st time in outside temperature of -2c.

Maybe your problem is related to the T6 Recall.

T6 recall on battery management is active. Mine done today. Don't know the technical details but presumably important.
Rang my dealer they had no knowledge of my his recall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I took mine in to the dealers last week I checked with them, and there was nothing on the system indicating a recall for mine. Wonder if it just relates to the 204?

Are we sure these are recalls and not just software updates being undertaken during your routine visits to the dealerships for servicing, warranty etc? Recalls are more formal in nature and are usually initiated by some type of formal correspondence from the Volkswagen Group and more than often involve a safety issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure if this will affect any of us but saw this in the news this morning:-

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Germany’s motor vehicle authority (KBA) has ordered a recall of about 200,000 Volkswagen T6 multivans that were built between 2019 and 2021, it said on Thursday.

The KBA said that penetrating water at temperatures below freezing point could impair the door locking mechanism, making it appear as though the doors were is locked and creating a risk that they could open unexpectedly while driving.

Back