Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Camping Shower

calicasas

calicasas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Looking to track one of these down for my van. Handy for travel to hot climates...

Roll on summer.....

image.jpg image.jpg

campervantastic put these pics on Facebook recently.. apparently a new option coming for the cali's

10004015_10152344509516660_1354089529_n.jpg

Cousins Hillside T5 conversion has a similar thing on it. Hot water as well. Works really well .

]Again, seen similar thing on another Cali.....

image.jpg

]
rippers said:
cvt put these pics on Facebook recently.. apparently a new option coming for the cali's

10004015_10152344509516660_1354089529_n.jpg

Install method as follows... I just didn't have the heart to cut the panel....

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Maybe I am missing something here but why would you want to shower in cold water on full view of everyone?

...curtain around tailgate for those who feel inclined.. And when it's approaching 40 deg C trust me, cold waters not a problem.
Personally I use a solar shower at the moment - works fine..

Frankly, I can't see the point in building a shower into a Cali - I can just imagine the cost for something hardly ever used. If wild camping / swimming, maybe you need something to wash off the salt water until you can get to a shower, a solar shower should be fine.

To get a better shower, you could always use it to heat the water as it is designed for heat absorption, pour it into a bucket and use a cheap 12v shower. I reckon all for less than ÂŁ25.

Andy

300657632.jpg 307364000.jpg

i tried a solar shower when wild camping in the cali. rubbish - take ages to heat up and need to be hoisted 20ft into a tree to get a good flow.

I bought a 12v electric shower that plugs into an aux power socket and suckers on the side of the van similar to one nearer the top of the thread. A pump unit drops into a bucket, big stewpot, collapsable water container or even through the window into the sink if needed. There's a good strong jet and you can switch it on and off on the power lead on a switch.

The beauty of it is that you can fill the pot/ bucket/ sink up with cold water and then boil the kettle and adjust the water temp accordingly by adding more of less hot water to the bucket.

It really is brilliant and only cost ÂŁ20 or so, if that. It takes up no rood in the back of the cali and w generally always have a rubbery trug type bucket for washing up trips, fish cleaning, washing things outside etc.

Yep,
Bought the solar shower,
Tried the solar shower,
Threw the solar shower away....
Lots of limitations, namely..
1. Away all day and settle somewhere for the evening... Supposed to hook up solar shower on the side of your van while driving?? No.
2. If u do heat it up, then don't use too much soap because the excuse for a shower head won't be taking the soap away any time soon.
3. So let's say you do successfully have a shower... Then you have explain to your wife why she has to wait a few hours for her shower. Of course that doesn't actually matter because by the time u have had your shower in the evening, there won't be any sun left in the day to heat the water up.

We do a lot of wild camping abroad and a lake is a far better solution than a solar shower...

Definitely the worst of all the options I have tried so far...
Just my experience, for what it's worth....

P.s. Shower curtain for rear of Cali, €12 from LIDL in Spain....

We showered the whole family (4) with a solar shower a few times; very well impressed.
Decathlon does a powered version for about ÂŁ40 but the capacity is much smaller.

Used the Cali this Summer for 4 months non-stop, we put around 6 Litres in a 'solar shower' on a towel on the dashboard every morning (test yours with HOT water to see if it leaks before placing on dash!). If there was little or no sun (as was often the case high in the Alps!), wrap half the towel over the top and put the passengers heater on full blast and it will be hot in about 1 hour. If there is sun, test carefully as it could be scalding!
We then transferred this to Decathalon's excellent hand pump shower (they claim its a solar shower, but only if you're in the Sahara), two people can shower in the small Decathalon pop up instant cabin tent - usually with some water left. This remaining water is perfect for washing up pots and pans (with the hand held shower head)

Solar showers are brilliant.
Just takes a bit of practice and then its easy.
They hold loads of water for multiple showers. We often only half fill ours.
If its not sunny just add a little hot water into the cold from the kettle.

Job done, cheap, cost effective, no installation, takes up no space, we upgraded from the really cheap ones with the long tube to the pocket shower Outdoor Adventures. The advantage with the Pocket shower is not only the pack size but not having the long tube means you don't have to suspend it up too high. We will be using one for the next 6 weeks, nice with cold water too just to cool off.

Give it a go. I will make a video when our Cali is delivered.

Ace! Well done, any chance of a how to :)

The install is pretty easy.
The outlet is from;
http://www.laleisure.co.uk/motorhome-re ... shower-box
The shower head is from;
http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/carava ... ction.aspx

The inside diameter of the water hose is 10mm. I installed a 10mm tee in the existing water pipe as it exits the water tank, one leg goes to the sink and the other leg goes to the new outlet. I have run a 2core 0.75mm flat flex from the sink micro switch connector to the new shower outlet switch and connected them in parallel so if either switch is operated the pump will run. I have taken the measurements for the hole from a factory fitted outlet in our local van center. The main hole is 64mm and the fixings are M5. I installed M5 nutcerts to save fiddling about with nuts on the rear of the fixings. The install took 2-3 hours. I plan to add a blue LED to indicate the pump is running to make it identical to the factory fitted option.

Dumb question but how do you turn the shower on / off?

reserves said:
Dumb question but how do you turn the shower on / off?
The shower outlet has a switch, this is connected in parallel with the main sink tap/ micro switch. If you operate either switch the pump will run.

Good work :thumb what was the total cost :?: