Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Cartridge Awning - After Sales Purchase/Fitting

Blakey

Blakey

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hey guys,

When we bought our Beach we asked the garage to remove the awning. We don't really like the look and noise and marginally lower mpg it gives. As we lacked storage space at home we didn't keep it - we basically gave it to the garage.

Now I'm wondering about putting one back on. Yeah, I know. Anyway, obviously we have the rails/channels for it but no cartridge.

So, how easy is it to get hold of one? How much are we likely to be looking to pay for it? And is it feasible to fit yourself - given that I have zero practical skills and do not want to damage my Beach!!!

Cheers
Blakey

Speak to Nick at the club shop as they are held in stock and he has fitted a fair few.

I fitted my own awning (a Fiamma f45s) I would say it took an hour or so, was relatively simple but needed two people for the lift and fit. Nick provided mine and it has been a great addition. Hasnt really effected my MPG that much (roof bars made a bigger noticeable difference for me). I am a DIY numpty too.

The brackets bolt on underneath the poptop with the factory (Thule Omnistor) or the Fiamma and rest upon the black rail with bolts to hold it in place (but with protective film in between). If I can fit one anyone can. ;)

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/fitting-a-new-wind-out-awning-a-california-beach.18006/

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/fiamma-f45s-from-comfortz.13602/#post-142435

Last edited:
Hi,

I didn't include an awning, with my factory order.... Then had second thoughts, and wanted to add myself. Unfortunately, to my shock/horror, this would cost almost £1000 from VW. However, I ended up purchasing a second-hand one via this forum, for £400 for the cartridge piece with brackets and winding tool.

It's a bit cumbersome fitting, ideally two, or even better three, people to make it easier.

Hey guys,

When we bought our Beach we asked the garage to remove the awning. We don't really like the look and noise and marginally lower mpg it gives. As we lacked storage space at home we didn't keep it - we basically gave it to the garage.

Now I'm wondering about putting one back on. Yeah, I know. Anyway, obviously we have the rails/channels for it but no cartridge.

So, how easy is it to get hold of one? How much are we likely to be looking to pay for it? And is it feasible to fit yourself - given that I have zero practical skills and do not want to damage my Beach!!!

Cheers
Blakey

You could consider the Isabella Shadow 240 canopy. Simple to erect directly into the Cali awning channel, good quality and a fraction of the cost of the VW standard.

20170419_1146LR.jpg 20170419_1147LR.jpg

Oooh, nice one High Flyer. That might make a top option for us as we'd only need to pack it when camping and can keep the smart profile of the van without the cartridge on the side. Less than £150 is a bonus too.

How long does it take to put up?

We sell the wind out awnings including brackets in the club shop

Oooh, nice one High Flyer. That might make a top option for us as we'd only need to pack it when camping and can keep the smart profile of the van without the cartridge on the side. Less than £150 is a bonus too.

How long does it take to put up?

It takes a few minutes, a little longer than the VW canopy perhaps. Just click on the Isobella video link for a demo.

Highflyer

We are about to pull the trigger on the Isobella 240. Can I ask where you got yours from please?

Thanks
Blakey

Sorry, another question: is this canopy at all rain proof?

Thanks!

Sorry, another question: is this canopy at all rain proof?

Thanks!

The Shadow 240 copes with rain very well, it's quality canvas. It is supplied with two poles but, if rain is due, I use a third pole in the centre and lower the corner poles thus creating an pitched roof effect which prevents puddling.

Sorry for the thread-romancy but do either the Isobela or Stiches and Steel options come with sides?

I'm wondering if I can make a tunnel out the side of my van with these?

Sorry for the thread-romancy but do either the Isobela or Stiches and Steel options come with sides?

I'm wondering if I can make a tunnel out the side of my van with these?

Hi Blakey, there dosn't appear to be any side panels for the Isabella Shadow on the Isabella website.

Back