Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Comfort mattress

B

BeeBee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We are trying to decide on ‘set up’ for lower bed. The pic is what van came with. Do you know if VW Comfort mattress (if I can get hold of correct product number to order) goes on top of this ... need all the advise we can get !C2C4A206-1CAA-4177-A79E-B501687709D7.jpeg

No - Comfort matress replaces it.

In essence, that portion is double thickness, with the thickness of that mattress in your pic spread across the seats. Three foldout parts, rather than a single slab.

We are trying to decide on ‘set up’ for lower bed. The pic is what van came with. Do you know if VW Comfort mattress (if I can get hold of correct product number to order) goes on top of this ... need all the advise we can get !C2C4A206-1CAA-4177-A79E-B501687709D7.jpeg
As above. Your best bet is to get a Mattress Topper that will go over what you have + the seat.
The full Comfort mattress is at least £300+ and incorporates what you have.

As above. Your best bet is to get a Mattress Topper that will go over what you have + the seat.
The full Comfort mattress is at least £300+ and incorporates what you have.
Thanks for the advise re topper. I am still a wee bit unclear re the vw mattress .. would one of the 3 piece sections go on top of what we already have or would I have to remove the section that we already have ?

Thanks for the advise re topper. I am still a wee bit unclear re the vw mattress .. would one of the 3 piece sections go on top of what we already have or would I have to remove the section that we already have ?
It would replace what you have. It is foldable in 3 sections. The rear section is double thickness and then 2 single thickness sections to cover the bench seat in bed mode.

It would replace what you have. It is foldable in 3 sections. The rear section is double thickness and then 2 single thickness sections to cover the bench seat in bed mode.
Ahha, now I fully understand why you would advise ‘a topper’. Purchasing a VW mattress makes our current section redundant... wish it had come with the full 3 sections instead, but I guess given we didn’t spec the van can’t be helped. Back to the drawing board on toppers... I just felt that the original looked like it was a better ‘fit in the boot’, took up less room !
This wouldn’t be an issue if like we planned we both slept up top but ‘hubby’ prefers lower setting .... so it’s him and the dug yo cater for lol

I think some of the aftermarket toppers Z fold so still sit in the boot space Ok and the single thickness can be thicker than the fold out section of the VW one. Some people don’t find the VW comfort mattress is that comfortable and change it for a topper anyway.
Personally my wife and I have found it very comfortable but I think that is because we aren’t particularly tall so our hips are still just on the double thickness portion sleeping head to the tailgate. The single thickness portion is obviously not as padded but my legs don’t mind!

I think some of the aftermarket toppers Z fold so still sit in the boot space Ok and the single thickness can be thicker than the fold out section of the VW one. Some people don’t find the VW comfort mattress is that comfortable and change it for a topper anyway.
Personally my wife and I have found it very comfortable but I think that is because we aren’t particularly tall so our hips are still just on the double thickness portion sleeping head to the tailgate. The single thickness portion is obviously not as padded but my legs don’t mind!
My husband is 6’1” and has been sleeping on lower bed ‘without topper’ and found it OK... just. We both like firm mattress’s so VW would have been suitable, but heh ho I guess I’ll be looking at toppers. I would have gone for the VW one but just hate discarding the section that we have... wasteful !

One advantage to a topper is, if you don’t use the thin VW section but just a full length topper (so it is single thickness over the boot) is that you can have the rear shelf in the upper position, giving more boot space day and night.

Do these inflate and where do you store it?
They self-inflate and then you top them up. I use the Sea to Summit "pump", bought separately. We fold ours into thirds and store on the rear shelf. Much thinner than the VW mattress when folded.

Can I ask, is there a valve at both ends or just the boot side?
Both corners by the tailgate. That is the only annoying point of the design in that you need to get out of the van to easily top up the inflation. If it is chucking it down you could slide the mattress forward, so it touches the front seats and then climb over the mattress, but you couldn't be on top of the mattress whilst inflating it.

Last edited:
Ahha, now I fully understand why you would advise ‘a topper’. Purchasing a VW mattress makes our current section redundant... wish it had come with the full 3 sections instead, but I guess given we didn’t spec the van can’t be helped. Back to the drawing board on toppers... I just felt that the original looked like it was a better ‘fit in the boot’, took up less room !
This wouldn’t be an issue if like we planned we both slept up top but ‘hubby’ prefers lower setting .... so it’s him and the dug yo cater for lol
I'm not sure that the VW comfort mattress will make your topper redundant. I have the VW comfort mattress and it folds away nicely BUT, it need another topper...it's still too hard...for me anyway!

I have the VW Comfort mattress and, like many others, found it too hard. I looked at lots of options but after reading some helpful suggestions on the forum, have added the 4ft IKEA mattress topper and this has helped enormously.

I like that I can make a ‘bed roll’ with the duvet and pillows rolled in the topper, that then sits on the mattress. At bed time, pull the mattress flat and roll out the topper. Takes less than 2 minutes from moving the bench, to being able to get in to bed. I could also take the roll upstairs should we travel without the kids (wishful thinking!).

Back