Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Cycle carrier and Thule Tow bar mounted with Easybag

Actionwave

Actionwave

Novice California Owner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I have the VW genuine cycle rack for our bikes but I also have a Thule tow bar mounted bike rack which I use for my other car.
Has anyone used both racks together bikes on the top and the tow bar mounted rack for the Easybag???
Would be a good space saver......

I have the VW genuine cycle rack for our bikes but I also have a Thule tow bar mounted bike rack which I use for my other car.
Has anyone used both racks together bikes on the top and the tow bar mounted rack for the Easybag???
Would be a good space saver......
I’d be a little concerned about the extra weight, not so much the bike rack but the weight of the towbar rack + stuff hanging behind the rear axle combined with the rack and bicycles could be significant.

I have recently bought a Thule easybase to go on the towbar complete with easybag. When fitted on van with cycle rack with barn doors I found the rear hoop on the easybase was an inch too tall and would not allow the rack to fold completely down . The rack can be used without the rear hoop or it can easily be modified.

The Beach does look over loaded at the rear but only had a Cadaq bbq, towels, clothing ect so not over weight.
From the factory it was very Arse low, I had adjustable coil overs fitted to sort that out.

The Beach does look over loaded at the rear but only had a Cadaq bbq, towels, clothing ect so not over weight.
From the factory it was very Arse low, I had adjustable coil overs fitted to sort that out.
So now its nose down.:cool:
Wheel arch is higher at the front than rear. Check the Transporter Technical drawings and dimensions and there is a reason for that.

So now its nose down.:cool:
Wheel arch is higher at the front than rear. Check the Transporter Technical drawings and dimensions and there is a reason for that.

Bet it looks good though ;)

Yep. Very nice.
How was the ride...?
Do you go for Bilsteins?

question for Kevthegas , what modification did you carry out to ensure the two racks worked together ? I could try to use the lower mounts on the tow hitch but this may cause it to bottom out on things like speed bumps , or I could just drill new mounting holes on the rear easybase hoop .

Yep. Very nice.
How was the ride...?
Do you go for Bilsteins?

Yes Bilstein B14 coil overs, full 4 wheel alignment afterwards.
Tyre wear after 10k miles was totally even, my son now has the 18 inch Sportline wheels on his new T6.

If Im honest the Beach on the coil overs was fantastic when carrying weight in the boot, if no load was in the boot it was a little bouncy for the rear passengers.

question for Kevthegas , what modification did you carry out to ensure the two racks worked together ? I could try to use the lower mounts on the tow hitch but this may cause it to bottom out on things like speed bumps , or I could just drill new mounting holes on the rear easybase hoop .

I simply cut off the lower part of the hoop, below the bolt hole to allow it to fold down and not hit the bumper.
The tailgate opens when this is done, and the rack can stay on the van whilst on site if reqd.

Back