Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

vw fuel additive

calikev

calikev

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
My cali beach is going in for a minor service and mot in a couple of weeks under a sevice plan agreement they also say it will have a fuel additive added
my beach does not have adblue so why would they add a fiuel addative? any ideas?

Last edited:
Very strange, I almost feel like VW are trying to find things to charge for of late. More than once they told me I needed a service when I didn't to try and use up my package.

My latest MOT when a service is not due for another year has some weird charge on it so I challenged and was told it was an oil service. However I know they don't change the oil they just top it up. The call centre is clearly incentivised on upselling but they try to make out you need whatever it is.

I would challenge just in case its revenue generating.

To clean the injectors possibly.

The items listed mot minor service fuel additive all paid for by monthly direct debit

The items listed mot minor service fuel additive all paid for by monthly direct debit
I've never had anything like that.

Maybe on Low milage vehicles to ensure a MOT Pass?

Very strange, I almost feel like VW are trying to find things to charge for of late. More than once they told me I needed a service when I didn't to try and use up my package.

My latest MOT when a service is not due for another year has some weird charge on it so I challenged and was told it was an oil service. However I know they don't change the oil they just top it up. The call centre is clearly incentivised on upselling but they try to make out you need whatever it is.

I would challenge just in case its revenue generating.
My 14 plate is going in for a "inspection service" I'm sure exactly 12 months after the last full service and the guy on the phone said they may have not reset it for a variable service only a yearly but they will only know once they have tested the oil.
And if it doesn't need changing will not charge me.
I smell a rat and think they will charge me the £174 but will be checking that they did change the oil and filter. Gonna mark the filter and check the oil. Dont trust the crooks

What ever addative VW say they have / will put in your tank will be available elsewhere at a fraction of the price.

I would ask what the additives are for then just go and buy it and apply it yourself

It may be a DPF cleaner !
It may be a wallet loosener !
It may be an upsellamathingy With spondoolicks attached !
Eyes wide open ?

Ours went for a service today, first one at 14000 miles, oil change, paid for a flush as an extra also they added a fuel additive to clean the fuel system. Never used any myself in several hundred thousand miles of Land rover ownership.

Last edited:
Snake oil. Shouldn't need any fuel additive if you're using decent fuel Kev.

i use shell brian never use supermarket fuel in the cali

Snake oil. Shouldn't need any fuel additive if you're using decent fuel Kev.
Agree, the company I work for develops oils and fuels for the major industries and OEM's

i will tell them not to bother then

Hi it’s a treatment to clean the fuel system we have had a lot of issues of late with euro 6 T6 and crafter fuel injectors blocking’s up due to poor quality fuels so vw have recommended a additive to use if the engine starts having dueling issues. Some vw dealers have decided to use this as a up sell during service and is not really needed if your using good quality fuel I.e Esso, shell, BP etc.

As an aside.

My Daughter who has a Ford Focus was told that she would be charged for a fuel additive despite having a service contract.

When actually serviced she was informed that they had made a mistake as it is a petrol engine and only diesels need the additive to clean the injectors, engine and emission system to ensure that the vehicle meets the exhaust emission MOT test.

Using an additive either continuously or periodically can assist in the performance of the injectors and reduce wear and need for replacement or servicing.
With MOT testing getting more stringent it could be money well spent. One of those things with no proof either way.

Just to clarify another point that I've noticed being misunderstood a few times. Adblue isn't added to the fuel or engine, it goes into the exhaust system to assist in the emission control process.

I don't get why you would buy cheap fuel in France and then spend more money on an additive which is already in branded fuel.

Hi Everyone, I"m a bit confused here -- I was under the impression (from a different thread in this forum) that the collective wisdom was that supermarket fuel is pretty identical to the more expensive shell / esso fuel ?

Whats wrong with a fuel aditive once a while ....?
In general this has been done for ages , not that i ever done it in my Cali , maybe i should as i frequent fill up at the french supermarket . Planning to do so one of these days as on the tollroads in saw 1,6...€ and only 1,4...€ at the supermarket.
It's always thesame when it comes to this kind of debates , there's no wright or wrong .
How much is the of price a botle of fuel aditive compared to the last botle of wine you opend ....;)

Last edited:
Whatever fuel is cheapest for Amarillo, and then after each AdBlue refill, we treat Amarillo to a tank of premium diesel to flush through the system.

Back