H

Hotel California

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
IMG_7024.JPG Visited VW at the annual Brussels car show ,
One Cali Ocean in a closed stand no entry to the general public only with a salesmen.
Talked about the verhicles beeing held back to register and he said to me the affected verhicles need a software update and it's VW themself that found out and VW took action by holding all verhicles at the dealer to sort out not a action taken by the governement .
Only saying what he told me but i find it a rubbish explenation.
Anyway , i was not intrested in the Ocean ....but ...

The XXL was also on display only visible after standing in line 5min then you could enter the stand with a salesmen letting you in the XXL .
He gave us the oppertunety to take a quick look arround inside .
The white plastic looks to bright and "hard" imo , the concept itself is nice with some very clever storing solutions and a nice bathroom/toilet compartment.
Did not get the chance to lie down on the bed but it all looks good .
The window in the roof would be great to look at the stars at night.
But it's a prototype and nobody knows if it will be this if it ever goes on production.
He also said noting actually works (cooker,water,coffee machine ) or at least they can not show it.

And in the end it's nothing world-breaking VW did , if you look in other Van sized campers they are compareble imo . I am not totaly over the mood with the XXL .
Price is estamated 80-100k
IMG_7026.JPG
IMG_7031.JPG
IMG_7032.JPG
IMG_7034.JPG
IMG_7035.JPG

Some nice things in the VW shop also
IMG_7036.JPG
IMG_7037.JPG

So they had a California on the stand - of which no-one can buy at the moment-
a prototype xxl - or LT/ Crafter which probably won´t go into production
and a 70,000€ Multivan covered in fookin flowers.

Looks like the fridge could boost profits this year if it has a good energy rating.:D

Just wondering why VW call it the XXL (with two Xs). Could there be an California XL (one X) in the planning based on the long wheelbase T6?

What an ugly vehicle - nearly as bad as the Club Joker!
If you must have a vw, at least the California has no pretensions to be anything other than what it is.
Otherwise, you might as well buy a ‘proper’ motor home.

What an ugly vehicle - nearly as bad as the Club Joker!
If you must have a vw, at least the California has no pretensions to be anything other than what it is.
Otherwise, you might as well buy a ‘proper’ motor home.
I’m of a similar opinion. By the time you have a vehicle that is too high to park anywhere, too long to park in a parking bay and too obvious to stealth camp, you might as well go really big and get a one year old motor home with 4K on the clock for about £45k. However, If I was going Big, it would be a 4x4 sprinter converted myself as a go anywhere stealthy base camp. That sat, as someone who has built their own campervan previously, I love what VW have done with the concept XXL. They have thought widely and demonstrated ideas that can only really be done mass-market like the roof light and perfect interior finish without anything stuck or screwed to the walls of your precious vehicle.

Just wondering why VW call it the XXL (with two Xs). Could there be an California XL (one X) in the planning based on the long wheelbase T6?
There is a new camperbus based on T6 long wheelbase: Westfalia Keppler six. I is an attempt to get best of all in one vehicle: a transporter, a beach with 6 seats, an ocean. There is an article in Camper Vans magazine nr1/2018 (german).

Back