Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Retro Style alloys...centre trim removal?

Wrinkly Ninja

Wrinkly Ninja

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Morning all..
I have recently fitted the VW Retro Style alloys to my T6 Ocean - please see photo attached.

20180908_133135.jpg
These have as you can see a fairly large plastic centre trim.
As with the small centre trims usually seen they have a single hole to remove them when you need to get at the wheel nuts in the event of a puncture or to clean the wheels.
Using the small round trim puller supplied this is normally ok....however...
The retro style trims fit into the alloys with a number of expanding springs in the centre and are a VERY snug push on fit.
I have tried carefully to use the standard puller but am scared that I might crack the trim, and at £120 each the thought of doing this makes me wince.:Nailbiting
Even with a slightly modified puller to get more of a grip than one finger I'm still nervous.
I know some may say I should never have gone for them but I love the style which finishes the look I wanted to achieve.
I know Gazellio has these wheels too and have asked him separately.
Dealers helpfully say they have never had to remove one :headbang
So...can anyone help please.
Many thanks

You’ve nailed it with this Cali. Don’t know the answer to your query but of course the dealer should be able to advise you. What will happen in the event of a puncture!

Asked my local dealer for a price on these wheels in silver but they said they can only order with a valid chassis number of a special edition and declined to quote me!

Found these pics on an Oz website that got me thinking...D5B141B7-46C0-4987-AB0F-6226219881C7.jpeg D1669E6C-78FB-43D3-9153-11AD91786B90.jpeg BC7E7383-E6D9-445F-B897-CEC5400EAB21.jpeg (I also like the matching lower wing mirror covers).

Just read in My California a thread by burnercan who said how surprised he was at how easy the hub caps are to remove on the retro wheels.

Thread heading is 2018 Beach 150 DSG 4Motion. Maybe pm him.

You’ve nailed it with this Cali. Don’t know the answer to your query but of course the dealer should be able to advise you. What will happen in the event of a puncture!

Asked my local dealer for a price on these wheels in silver but they said they can only order with a valid chassis number of a special edition and declined to quote me!

Found these pics on an Oz website that got me thinking...View attachment 39517 View attachment 39518 View attachment 39519 (I also like the matching lower wing mirror covers).

Thanks Dub 10...glad you like it as we sure do.

Thought you might like what I did with the rear VW roundel badge too:

IMG_3751.JPG 20170315_123138.jpg

And some colour coordinated cushions my wife made

20170226_141019.jpg

Ref you dealers reaction..I got the same rubbish answer when I first explored getting the Retro alloys which are called "Disc Alloys"

Contacted a few other dealer parts departments and had no problem getting them from Inchcape Cheltenham.

Really like the silver ones with the grey and black bodywork :)

Cool looking van. Love the colour :thumb

They are a bitch to get off. You just have to yank them. Problem is putting them back on. I thought i had put them back on when i changed the tyres but now one is missing.

Anyone know the cost of a replacement?

They are a bitch to get off. You just have to yank them. Problem is putting them back on. I thought i had put them back on when i changed the tyres but now one is missing.

See Post 1, about £120 GB.

I learnt the hard way about putting them back on properly...and lost one on the motorway on the first day of our 2 week holiday (before the Pandemic!)...annoying.
Replacement when I got home as WG says about £120
Now I put them on and the go over them once or twice again hitting them quite hard around the centre section with the soft part of my palm.
Taking them off I follow the advice given on the forum to me by one of our German colleagues...
get my fingers of one hand behind one of the sections between the spokes and the other hand behind the next but one...then yank towards me hard.

I learnt the hard way about putting them back on properly...and lost one on the motorway on the first day of our 2 week holiday (before the Pandemic!)...annoying.
Replacement when I got home as WG says about £120
Now I put them on and the go over them once or twice again hitting them quite hard around the centre section with the soft part of my palm.
Taking them off I follow the advice given on the forum to me by one of our German colleagues...
get my fingers of one hand behind one of the sections between the spokes and the other hand behind the next but one...then yank towards me hard.
Hi Wrinkly

see post #7 attached link, hope this helps with part number / cost