Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW servicing outside of warranty period ?

G

gatvol

Mine is now out of warranty. Needs its third service now, it is on the annual regime.

Do you guys still go to vw ? And would you value full vw history if you bought a used one ?

I have experienced complete stupidity at Leicester and Sheffield VW. Typical car industry incompetence (but not stupidity) at the now closed Newark VW. So a full main dealer service book means absolutely zero to me, but I must be mindful what a future buyer might think.

Thank you

I had mine serviced at vw for 4 years dont forget next year it will need a cambelt also if you have anything major happen you are more likely to get some goodwill from vw. After that i would then find a good independent.

A decent independent is fine, but make sure they complete the service book.

Alan

By the time they come out of warranty many cars have drastically reduced in value and may not be worth spending main dealer prices on. However, a California is a valuable vehicle still and I think it best to stick to VW franchise.

In general
  • It WILL help sell it easier.
  • You will have the benefit of any recall work carried out
  • It may be cheaper because they (are supposed to) know what they are doing and will carry out the work more efficiently (I have experience of this on my previous Cali and also on my wife's Golf)
  • They have access to the VW bulletins, training and service equipment
  • An independent will probably not know anything about the pop up roof or other camper equipment and will be more used to dealing with plumber's and builder's vans
  • You are more likely to get more sympathetic treatment from VW for a goodwill claim
Having said all this, the VW (van) dealers in my area do still leave much to be desired and are some way behind the passenger car counterparts.

My 9yr old came with a full VWSH. I decided to have the extended service + brake fluid change done by SMG using my VIP discount. The invoice came to just shy of £400, but that will last me 2 years, so + £200 a year for servicing, it seems a no brainer to me to keep using VW - especially as SMG know their onions on Cali's

Stuck with vw last 7years for servicing had a brake fluid change and it was cheaper than a independent garage who done the same job on a ford connect.

Back