Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Green Algae on my VW T4

Bobt4westy1998

Bobt4westy1998

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi, I have something like a green algae growing behind the front wing just wondering how easy would it be to remove the front wing to clean the inside or recommend someone that does this?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi, I have something like a green algae growing behind the front wing just wondering how easy would it be to remove the front wing to clean the inside or recommend someone that does this?

Thanks

Interesting. Photo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All bar the earliest t4s have bolt on wings so you can remove them but you’ll need to remove the bumper and lights first.

There may be some sealant holding the wing on as well.

Be warned though - if it has got to the algae stage it is almost inevitable you will find that the inner wing will have rotted badly when you clean it up. The outer wing is likely to have some rust in the lip and around the vents as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is it just in the air intake you can see the green stuff? Its notorious for building up. Theres nothing to stop crap dropping down the drain holes and building up a little garden behind the front wings.

I've seen picture of folk routing hose pipe down thought the void behind the wing and below the bumper once the wing is off to stop it happening again.

All bar the earliest t4s have bolt on wings so you can remove them but you’ll need to remove the bumper and lights first.

Be warned though - if it has got to the algae stage it is almost inevitable you will find that the inner wing will have rotted badly when you clean it up. The outer wing is likely to have some rust in the lip and around the vents as well.

Hi it's not wet or damp I just know it shouldn't be there so if it wasn't a big job I would attempt it.

Hi it's not wet or damp I just know it shouldn't be there so if it wasn't a big job I would attempt it.

It’s not a big job to remove the wings - but just be prepared that the inner wings are rust traps.

I have a spare vented outer wing for a long nose if you need one.

Hi thanks for that , I'm based in Oxford where abouts are you. ??

Thanks for your reply

Not too far away - near Towcester

Blimey, I drive through Silverstone and Whittlebury every day. :cheers

As above there might be inner wing rust,removal of the airbox bumper ect ect or just remove the air box and hit it with a jet wash

Back