Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW t6.1 Coast / Beach manual roof

COAST22

COAST22

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi all,

Can anybody comment on the alignment of the manual roof clamps. Mine seem out of alignment I.e not central on the connection bar- see attached photos. I watched the California Chris Coast manual roof YouTube film and on this the black clasps are central.

My dealer said they are functional and the alignment doesn’t matter.

Any feedback welcome.
FE66AC52-5ADD-4E22-A7C7-9E5C18E264C8.jpeg77849C81-8E3A-460B-923E-7B89F30F99CD.jpeg77849C81-8E3A-460B-923E-7B89F30F99CD.jpeg05F656DD-1559-49A9-AC2E-05518F18595B.jpeg

Has any work been done on the poptop? I would imagine with that much gap the seal performance is greatly compromised.

@COASTjacwacdac - I have the same- there’s another group we’ve been discussing this in - see ‘ROOF ISSUE. ONE SIDE OF ROOF IS NOT FLUSH’ group

Hi,

No work done it’s new (3 months old)

Can you post a pic of the other side. Is the drivers side clip easier to attach? If the attachments are not equal that could cause this if the right corner is not being tensioned enough. If all things are equal the roof may be buckled and a spirit level might expose this when checked along the entire length of the poptop. I would go to a different dealer and get their opinion armed with some info.

I have taken pictures of mine. one clip central one to one side. Roof alignment looks like yours. No problems. However the fabric can get caught so watch out for that. IMG20220803131637.jpgIMG20220803132008.jpgIMG20220803132029.jpgIMG20220803132235.jpg

H
Can you post a pic of the other side. Is the drivers side clip easier to attach? If the attachments are not equal that could cause this if the right corner is not being tensioned enough. If all things are equal the roof may be buckled and a spirit level might expose this when checked along the entire length of the poptop. I would go to a different dealer and get their opinion armed with some info.
i

The initial pic is drivers side. This is the other side which is a tighter fit.

I’ll check with a spirit level

Thanks

John

4B8A2D1D-FB4A-4480-8E83-D8EEC48227ED.jpeg

Well that confirms drivers side is not tensioned enough but the question is why. Is the fabric bunching, the clamp not tight enough etc. A visit to another dealer is in order.

Ive just checked my Coast & the clips are both central & the seal is tight with no gap, my clips are very tight to shut & am hoping to bump into another Coast owner one of the days to compare!

Hi, we are new to the site. We have exactly the same problem on our 2 month old Coast. The roof has always been put away as per California Chris's video. PHOTO-2022-08-06-12-54-42.jpgPHOTO-2022-08-06-12-55-46.jpgPHOTO-2022-08-06-12-55-22.jpgPHOTO-2022-08-06-12-56-08.jpgAny solutions gratefully received as our nearest California dealer is 150 mile round trip.
Our other gripes are that the nearside bed extension frame collapses when being raised! And the steering wheel is slightly off centre to the right. Otherwise we love it.

If this is of any help: Coast, 3 months:
Left sideright side
F79FBB0C-826C-4E37-8E40-3E918A55FC5B.jpeg6420D68B-0D35-4F2E-8633-42C075325B12.jpeg
C0B57F32-F9AF-4178-B82C-B189415BDC6A.jpeg0505C4B4-A847-4693-9D32-5D1437281ECC.jpeg
The left side is harder to close. The alignments are what you see; Haven't had any problems with the folding roof yet.
Greetings
Calibusje

Left side is not quite flush. Was it like that from new? Curious if something is happening over time, like the fabric folds changing
Yes, it’s not flush, saw it some time ago, guess it’s like that from new (coast only 3 months old). There is an inner isolation mounted but before that, the left side was already like that. Got no problems with it, yet :Nailbiting ;)

We have a new Coast with the same issue: the right side is not flush. We have not been exposed to rain yet, but worried it will leak. For those who contacted a dealer, what did they say?

652C75D2-7AB9-4913-85F3-7978322A5889.jpeg

21933512-7C91-4F73-8F2E-644F4AA328E6.jpeg

We have a new Coast with the same issue: the right side is not flush. We have not been exposed to rain yet, but worried it will leak. For those who contacted a dealer, what did they say?

View attachment 98836

View attachment 98837
That looks like Calibusje's only on the opposite side. Its unacceptable and needs to be checked out by the dealer. Both sides should be flush.

Update- dealer took it in to repair. Arrived back after 3.5 hrs to collect. Was told the adjustment screws appeared to have been ‘tampered with’ and one screw is cross threaded. They Advised to go back to selling dealer. Selling dealer advised going back to local dealer. Left it with VW customer care. Awaiting a resolution. Reported on June. Appalling service.

@calibusje - did you get your roof fixed to close flush? I took mine (Coast, July 2022) to Hermans Herentals. The couldn’t fix it (not sure what they tried) but their theory was the awning clamps were not fitting properly and said they would order new ones and get back to me. I haven’t heard from them in four months though… I’ll try Mertens Sint Niklaas now and see what they say.

Hi, thanks all for the feedback and images. After getting messed about by VW Lancashire & Cleckheaton I was advised by Breeze Poole that it needs a new roof panel. They are now replacing the panel and correcting clamp alignment. VW requested measurements to conclude the need for a new panel.

Thanks got
Hi, thanks all for the feedback and images. After getting messed about by VW Lancashire & Cleckheaton I was advised by Breeze Poole that it needs a new roof panel. They are now replacing the panel and correcting clamp alignment. VW requested measurements to conclude the need for a new panel.
Thanks for the response. Roof panel - what part is that exactly? The entire roof? Our clamps are not perfectly aligned either.

Hi, yes the entire roof panel plus realignment of clasps. I will post some pics once it arrives back with me.

John

I checked the clamps on my Coast and they are perfectly central in the bracket. Rubber seal is also flush with the roof spoiler.

Cheers, thought it should be like that.

Finally got my van back from Breeze Portsmouth. New roof panel & bellows fitted. The drivers side roof clamp remains off centre. I have been advised that it’s ‘in tolerance’ but unclear the tolerance figures. I took it to @CampervanBits today for measure up of a Cali wrap. Noted the canvas is not fitted properly - see image- follow light grey piping on each side- appears assymmetrical as if canvas is pulled around to the drivers side. Awaiting feedback from @breeze. Any images from other manual roof owners?

IMG_5814.jpeg

IMG_5813.jpeg

Back