Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Westfalia Joker City

Gooldmike

Gooldmike

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I'm currently looking at the VW Westfalia Joker City as an option. I already have a California Beach . However , the fixed toilet and the gas hobs make the Joker very attractive. I appreciate this reduces the amount of storage space but our current storage space in the boot is taken up with the portaloo , stoves ,cooking/eating utensils , cool box , electric cables , roof cover, front window cover wrap, food, clothes, duvalets and a quecha base 2 seconds pop up shelter tent. Obviously much of this could be stored in the available storage cupboard space in the Joker. There looks to be a sizeable storage space also behind the fixed toilet which would accommodate much of the above. That would leave our quecha tent and duvalets , which looks to me , as if could be stored whilst travelling , in the corridor between the toilet and kitchen . When pitched up, the duvalets go up on to the top bed and if not pitching the tent ( if a short stay) just chuck it under the van .
So the storage issue that I've read about the Joker doesn't seem to be a big issue as far as I can see. So my first question is Am I missing something ?
My next question is if people have any knowledge of Westfalia vehicles ? The standard and spec seems quite high when I read about the vehicles?
My final question is if people have any experience of driving it . I'm assuming it's more or less the same as my beach ( with auto dsg etc) ??
I'm hoping to arrange to have a look at one in the near future and test drive one but would be grateful for people s thoughts
Thanks

I'm currently looking at the VW Westfalia Joker City as an option. I already have a California Beach . However , the fixed toilet and the gas hobs make the Joker very attractive. I appreciate this reduces the amount of storage space but our current storage space in the boot is taken up with the portaloo , stoves ,cooking/eating utensils , cool box , electric cables , roof cover, front window cover wrap, food, clothes, duvalets and a quecha base 2 seconds pop up shelter tent. Obviously much of this could be stored in the available storage cupboard space in the Joker. There looks to be a sizeable storage space also behind the fixed toilet which would accommodate much of the above. That would leave our quecha tent and duvalets , which looks to me , as if could be stored whilst travelling , in the corridor between the toilet and kitchen . When pitched up, the duvalets go up on to the top bed and if not pitching the tent ( if a short stay) just chuck it under the van .
So the storage issue that I've read about the Joker doesn't seem to be a big issue as far as I can see. So my first question is Am I missing something ?
My next question is if people have any knowledge of Westfalia vehicles ? The standard and spec seems quite high when I read about the vehicles?
My final question is if people have any experience of driving it . I'm assuming it's more or less the same as my beach ( with auto dsg etc) ??
I'm hoping to arrange to have a look at one in the near future and test drive one but would be grateful for people s thoughts
Thanks
The man you need to speak to is @4x4 joker

Thanks
Hi, I used to have a Club Joker (high top) until recently. The Westfalia is an excellent campervan but as you've said the use of space and storage is different and not to everyones taste. Different to a Cali, especially a Beach as you lose the boot space. More fixed storage with a proper toilet, shower and hot water are huge plus points. Great beds too. One plus point is that you can leave beds in place and still use the kitchen and toilet etc. One negative is camping chairs and table are not stored like the brilliant Cali ones so harder to store.
All depends on what you're using the camper for.
Driving experience will be the same. Westfalia stuff is harder to source than Cali gear due to small number of uk dealers. Quality is generally good and they are good value compared to a Cali.

Thanks
That must be the van Rob (campersales) has, westfalia make great vans! That won’t be around long so don’t hang about.
Owned my joker hightop for 3yrs, drives the same as a cali apart from when windy (as mine is high top).
Build quality is great mines 4 1/2yrs old, had to replace 12v pump and kitchen tap and the dimmer switch packed up. No other probs really.

There’s always great ways to solve storage, I have a bike rack with box and front runner chairs and a cali outside table will fit in the sliding door (doing away with the big internal one), or you can add extra legs to the existing table.

If you want to check out build quality you can always have a nose at mine if you’re near new forest.
Like I said don’t take to long to decide if it’s that 2nd hand one
3690CB83-D5B6-482F-8637-1458A10383CA.jpeg

I have recently seen a detail review of the Westfalia Joker City.
Unless you are extremely desperate to have a shower, I couldn't find anything that would make me prefer the Joker City to the Coast /Ocean. The Thetford Portapotti 335 gives you a onboard WC anyway. By far more flexible that a fixed toilet, as you can put it in the boot, in the kitchen wardrobe lower right, or like me strapped behind the front right seat with a small rachet strap. In that position it is always available to be used, also en route. I use a tailgate bike rack. With the bikes on it, you wouldn't be able to empty the toilet-cassette if for example you are stopping overnight on the way to your destination and of course you don't want to unpack everything.
Same is true for filling up the fresh water tank, you have to open the tailgate.
There are no windows to air where the gas stove is, unlike the Cali.
You have NO wardrobe for clothes, nor a place where to hang the Vanessa bags like in a Beach.
The sitting area is very small. the table is not as convenient as the sliding Coast/Ocean one.
The bench seat is smaller. Can't see two adults travelling comfortable or being able to eat .
The downside bed is ridiculous, as it is 185x100, being generous, vs 200 x 110/115 in a Coast/Ocean.
Where would you put the bedding while travelling ?
As you mention you can't carry anything else, there is no boot. The boot on a Coast/Ocean is huge, and you don't have to fill it with clothes, portapotti, stoves etc. All these has its own place in the "living area of the Coast/Ocean, including a massive drawer under the bench.
The space for the shower is very tiny, and using a tent to protect the splashes it will stick to your body. I can't see that working and somebody being happy with the solution. If you really have to shower inside, it would be more convenient to use the Thais one ina Coat/Ocean/Beach.

Of course I am biased, as I own an Ocean, but I would never swap it with a Joker City. The longer Joker with fixed high roof maybe, different type of vehicle though.

I strongly suggest you rent a Ocean and the Joker City before buying it. I have a strong feeling you'll regret buying the Joker City within the first trip.

And it looks like a plumber van, with the metal panel between pillars C and D, instead of like a minibus like the Coast/Ocean.

I have recently seen a detail review of the Westfalia Joker City.
Unless you are extremely desperate to have a shower, I couldn't find anything that would make me prefer the Joker City to the Coast /Ocean. The Thetford Portapotti 335 gives you a onboard WC anyway. By far more flexible that a fixed toilet, as you can put it in the boot, in the kitchen wardrobe lower right, or like me strapped behind the front right seat with a small rachet strap. In that position it is always available to be used, also en route. I use a tailgate bike rack. With the bikes on it, you wouldn't be able to empty the toilet-cassette if for example you are stopping overnight on the way to your destination and of course you don't want to unpack everything.
Same is true for filling up the fresh water tank, you have to open the tailgate.
There are no windows to air where the gas stove is, unlike the Cali.
You have NO wardrobe for clothes, nor a place where to hang the Vanessa bags like in a Beach.
The sitting area is very small. the table is not as convenient as the sliding Coast/Ocean one.
The bench seat is smaller. Can't see two adults travelling comfortable or being able to eat .
The downside bed is ridiculous, as it is 185x100, being generous, vs 200 x 110/115 in a Coast/Ocean.
Where would you put the bedding while travelling ?
As you mention you can't carry anything else, there is no boot. The boot on a Coast/Ocean is huge, and you don't have to fill it with clothes, portapotti, stoves etc. All these has its own place in the "living area of the Coast/Ocean, including a massive drawer under the bench.
The space for the shower is very tiny, and using a tent to protect the splashes it will stick to your body. I can't see that working and somebody being happy with the solution. If you really have to shower inside, it would be more convenient to use the Thais one ina Coat/Ocean/Beach.

Of course I am biased, as I own an Ocean, but I would never swap it with a Joker City. The longer Joker with fixed high roof maybe, different type of vehicle though.

I strongly suggest you rent a Ocean and the Joker City before buying it. I have a strong feeling you'll regret buying the Joker City within the first trip.

And it looks like a plumber van, with the metal panel between pillars C and D, instead of like a minibus like the Coast/Ocean.
I think he has a cali already.

storage doesn’t look great in a city agree, one place there is will be under the rear seats (pretty big if it has the older type seat with no head rests as base bum section bit lifts up).
Have never measured but rear seats are pretty much the same width as a ocean and just as comfy.

Probably a reason you like the city, but if you want the creature comforts and don’t mind the extra height then look at the hightop.

That must be the van Rob (campersales) has, westfalia make great vans! That won’t be around long so don’t hang about.
Owned my joker hightop for 3yrs, drives the same as a cali apart from when windy (as mine is high top).
Build quality is great mines 4 1/2yrs old, had to replace 12v pump and kitchen tap and the dimmer switch packed up. No other probs really.

There’s always great ways to solve storage, I have a bike rack with box and front runner chairs and a cali outside table will fit in the sliding door (doing away with the big internal one), or you can add extra legs to the existing table.

If you want to check out build quality you can always have a nose at mine if you’re near new forest.
Like I said don’t take to long to decide if it’s that 2nd hand one
View attachment 84925
Thanks for that, it's extremely helpful

I had though long and was very tempted by the Westfalia Kepler One. Which id quite similar to the Joker City but LWB not SWB.
Eventually the lack of storage discouraged us and we’re very happy we got an Ocean.
It’s different however if you want to live inside the van for longer times. Then I d serious insider the high top Joker which looked great and with a much much more usable loo and shower.

Fitted toilet, shower, hot water,
how can you not agree with this van.
Sorry the vid is in German.

Fitted toilet, shower, hot water,
how can you not agree with this van.
Sorry the vid is in German.

Wish you could actually see these options, van looked good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Autohaus lwb hightop conversion has almost the same equipment as this one. The key difference is that the shower, with hot water, requires one to stand outside the van. For privacy we use a small pop up tent but no need if in swimming costume. This and having the gas tank underslung results in more space in the van.

Back