Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Won't sell me a California

C

californianot

The title is not exactly 100% true but they won't sell me what I want!

I went into our VW dealer in Yorkshire today to purchase a 150 DSG Ocean only to be told you can no longer buy a diesel California and I can only buy a TSI petrol which is not what I want due to the poor MPG, I realise they are doing away with diesels but I did not realise it would be that quick.

Anyway, off to Mercedes tomorrow to hopefully buy my second choice ( a diesel marco polo)

Read other postings on the forum regarding this. They are not 'doing away' with diesels just a temp hold up to sort out emission levels. Will probably see other manufacturers follow suit.

VW currently have an issue with their 150 diesels

I went into our VW dealer in Yorkshire today to purchase a 150 DSG Ocean only to be told you can no longer buy a diesel California and I can only buy a TSI petrol which is not what I want due to the poor MPG, I realise they are doing away with diesels but I did not realise it would be that quick.

Anyway, off to Mercedes tomorrow to hopefully buy my second choice ( a diesel marco polo)
See here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/important-news-new-vehicle-registrations-on-hold.22236/

Seems to have affected 150 diesels more widely than 204 diesels - some EU purchasers have had no problems with the 204 and I think that some people have had their order changed from manual to 204 DSG by VW. It will probably get sorted out.

Search on here for Marco Polo and amongst the partisan chuntering you will find some considered opinions of the differences.

Edit: spelling.

Just go on the used site and buy what you want with just Delivery miles??
And save some money

VW currently have an issue with their 150 diesels

See here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/important-news-new-vehicle-registrations-on-hold.22236/

Seems to have affected 150 diesels more widely than 204 diesels - some EU purchasers have had no problems with the 204 and I think that some people have had their order changed from manual to 204 DSG by VW. It will probably get sorted out.

Search on here for Marco Polo and amongst the partisan chuntering you will find some considered opinions of the differences.

Edit: spelling.

Yes I have read all the posts on here about the Marco Polo and they are mainly just comments from California owners with chips on their shoulders so I have taken with a pinch if salt. The more precise reviews are on the Marco Polo Forum from real owners.

Yes I have read all the posts on here about the Marco Polo and they are mainly just comments from California owners with chips on their shoulders so I have taken with a pinch if salt. The more precise reviews are on the Marco Polo Forum from real owners.
Bit rude to suggest chip on shoulders to members of this forum. All are permitted their own views and can perhaps be biased but they are their views. If you want a Marco Polo good. I have looked at Marco Polo, Club City etc and don't dismiss but recognise the Cali for its true capabilities. I like the MP leather but I had my seats recovered in full leather so no disadvantages. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Not a bad second choice. You ain´t really gonna be roughing it in a marco polo.

Amazing how many people come on to a VW forum, make a first "slagging off post" then pronounce they are going to the competition.

Silly really. No need for it. The MP is a fine vehicle, The Cali is a fine vehicle, if you can't get what you want on one but can on the other then just go and do it and don't run around ruffling feathers for nowt.

There are 22 registered 150 dsg Californias for sale in the used section VW Vans website with lots of choice and some with delivery miles only. If a Cali is your first choice you could look at them??

Amazing how many people come on to a VW forum, make a first "slagging off post" then pronounce they are going to the competition.

Silly really. No need for it. The MP is a fine vehicle, The Cali is a fine vehicle, if you can't get what you want on one but can on the other then just go and do it and don't run around ruffling feathers for nowt.
GrannyJen,
Surely you are not suggesting Californianot was just trolling and baiting? :shocked
Oh OK then maybe he was.
:welcome californianot.

AND plenty of fine examples on the used section in here. Fine vehicles indeed. Grab them while they are hot (I like the full red one. It’s a beaut) ;)

just comments from California owners with chips on their shoulders so I have taken with a pinch if salt. The more precise reviews are on the Marco Polo Forum from real owners.
Seems the best place to look if you are buying a MP rather than on a California Forum being we a have big chips on our shoulders here,

GrannyJen,
Surely you are not suggesting Californianot was just trolling and baiting? :shocked
Oh OK then maybe he was.
:welcome californianot.

It happens on all forums. "I've got better than you "..... Nothing unusual.

Possibly a bit of having a larf over the comms. predicament VW have got themselves into again. Possibly even frustration, the same frustration that I had when I went to three MP dealers trying to order or find out just what could I have or not have, then bought a cali instead when I couldn't get what I wanted in an MP.

Who knows.

All of those wrapped up in one no doubt.

Trolling looking for a reaction to copy and paste into his forum of choice I expect

I went for the mp rather than the Cali, basically because I just liked it better. I could give you a long list of why one is better than the other but it would only be my opinion, not objective fact. At the end of the day, they’re both pretty much the same - neither will get you far off road or up off piste wild and craggy mountains, but last time I looked, we don’t have many of those in the uk.
Both could be seen as ideal day vans rather than for extended camping by motor home journalists but for many of us the adaptability of these vans outweighs their compromises.
I, for one, find this forum really helpful, as a soon to be first time camper van owner, but I do not like the bitching by some folk about ‘big whites’ and other makes of camper than their own.
PLEASE could everyone keep this forum a pleasant place to visit and not some children’s playground where people are afraid to visit, in case they don’t conform to the bullies rules.

I went for the mp rather than the Cali, basically because I just liked it better. I could give you a long list of why one is better than the other but it would only be my opinion, not objective fact. At the end of the day, they’re both pretty much the same - neither will get you far off road or up off piste wild and craggy mountains, but last time I looked, we don’t have many of those in the uk.
Both could be seen as ideal day vans rather than for extended camping by motor home journalists but for many of us the adaptability of these vans outweighs their compromises.
I, for one, find this forum really helpful, as a soon to be first time camper van owner, but I do not like the bitching by some folk about ‘big whites’ and other makes of camper than their own.
PLEASE could everyone keep this forum a pleasant place to visit and not some children’s playground where people are afraid to visit, in case they don’t conform to the bullies rules.

I agree
I had motor homes and like them maybe later in life I will own one again they definitely have benefits for longer trips.
I had a Westfalia Columbus that was by far the best van I have owned.
I’m now back to a California at the min that’s all we need... I love the California too
I looked at the mp before we bought our California and really liked it.westys are quality end of....
The reason we didn’t buy one was the California is a safe option at the time being they hold there money well...
My aims are to go back to a Columbus or the crafter based one in a few years.
The fiat base van was ok but a totally different breed to a vw
This is my 4th California
I think the California is externally better looking and easily modified to look how you like

Last edited:
I find this forum one of the better policed. Free speech is allowed and when out of order the moderators step in. It is the VW California Owners forum so you will obviously get some bias but hopefully within reason. The Marco Polo has its own forum which will develop and hopefully you have also joined that forum.
As often quoted if something does not meet your approval ignore it. We all find some responses we do not agree with or object too. Just ignore. Free speech is too precious to lose.

I appreciate this is the California forum so do understand that most people on here will love their pride and joy above all others. However, it gets a bit tedious when some people hijack a perfectly reasonable discussion with unnecessary ‘name calling’.
Never mind, such is life, and I suppose I can always ignore any member who is being particularly unhelpful ( in my view of course!).

Bitching is something that goes on in every forum. You will never stop partisan feelings going that extra mile. The sister site to this one, the MP owners club forum, with just 100 members and a relatively new to the UK vehicle, is also afflicted with bitchy comments about the Cali. Such is life.

As a first time camper you are most welcome here. We all share the same lifestyle and we all, MP or Cali, and many conversions, have brilliant vehicles to indulge that lifestyle with. I hope you can find a lot of good advice and common sense here, the Cali has been around rather a long time so there is a huge reservoir of experiences, good and bad, to tap into.

Last edited:
Thanks - I do find this forum is excellent for the sort of advice you can only get from experienced campers so shall continue to use it. Hopefully, once I have more experience I shall be able to have a positive input myself
Meanwhile, is there anything anyone can do to improve this lousy weather (other than move abroad)? Just come back with the dog - we're both muddy, wet and cold and I’ve not even got my van yet to cheer me up.
Perhaps a few more pre delivery purchases to go under the bed. I can’t wait to try the ridge monkey toaster out but that will have to wait as we’ve only got an induction hob here and no gas.