Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wait for T7 Hybrid?

Andyclockwise

Andyclockwise

VIP Member
I was looking at changing my Cali this year but whilst at dealer on Friday he possibly put me off as he said they are expecting the T7 Hybrid to launch in early 2020. Armed with this information I did some more research and there is a lot of information to suggest this is true.

Is it worth waiting for the Hybrid or shall I chance another diesel ?

Unless you fear a price hike I'd wait as long as I could.
Warranty issues are out there in force with diesel and petrol models so its not like you should fear jumping from reliable proven technology to unreliable unproven technology.
It should uphold the residual value more than the diesel if all goes well.
I'd be happy to be a guinea pig without a price hike or long delay.

I also read about this at weekend, I would also wait for the Hybrid, at least you already have a Cali until the new one arrives

It will be hideously complicated and weigh more so even less payload. I wouldnt hang on for a hybrid plus they are not economical either. The EV technology is advancing so fast at the moment that it will quickly become obsolete just look at the depreciation on i3,s and i8,s that nobody wants without a warranty. Just like iphones you need to wait for it to mature. Devil you know and all that.

Well as far as engines goes hybrid tech is well proven and very common. Then it’s more a fact that it’s a new model and “assembly line”. I’ve bought several new-new cars before they were released and very few issues have come up, even at technology changes.

T7 hybrid will probably be more tax-friendly in the long run. The problem with waiting, there’s always a new model around the corner...

If you “must” change it now then go for it. If it was me, otherwise I’d might as well wait a little and see what info comes out in the next 3-6 months and then act upon the base of actual need/info at that point.

Good luck :thumb

BMW 330e for example, company car tax is the only reason people buy them and then run them on fossil fuel only, carrying all that weight for no reason. Just look at the range on electric its non existent.

As Cali's have a life of (say) 30 years (which explains why they depreciate so slowly) I think the change to 'all electric' Cali's is the one to think (and worry) about.

In 20 years time, I can't see a hybrid Cali being any more 'acceptable' than a pure diesel Cali.
20 or 30 years seems a long way down the line, but it does have a impact, even early into their life.

Same discussion , diffrent day .

I think that until it's pure EV with a 400 mile (at least) range then there isn't too much point due to the complication and expense of a hybrid drivetrain..

At least you will be able to go upstairs for a nap while it's charging :)

All EV would allow more flexibility with the interior space as well.

Maybe the T7 will be a Diesel with the Bosch technology giving 25% of present Emissions.
Nothing “New” in their system just basic engineering changes etc:

Personally I'd just wait for the T7 to come out and then you can see what its real pros/cons are rather than having to purely speculate on what it may/may not offer.

If you really need to change your existing Cali at this point, you could always buy a used, early T6 (ie with Euro 6 engine) then you won't have vested so much in the decision. After all, there's almost zero practical difference between a 2016 MY and a 2019 MY, just the reg number and being close to end of warranty. Although I'm not myself very bothered about having specific factory options but I do appreciate you might be.

(But not trying to rekindle the New vs. Used firefight from a few months back, God forbid. :Nailbiting :Grin)

I'd wait too.

My current daily driver is a Golf GTE. It's a cracking hybrid and a credit to VW's engineers.

The idea doesn't make much sense either - installing a heavy battery under the rear seats of a relatively small hatchback. I'm sure the naysayers thought it would perform like an absolute dog before it launched.

It's a superb blend of efficiency and performance.

I love the idea of a hybrid California and would get one if it was an option. I hope they meet the 2020 target date.

Maybe the T7 will be a Diesel with the Bosch technology giving 25% of present Emissions.
Nothing “New” in their system just basic engineering changes etc:

I hadn't seen that but just looked and it sounds a very nice development. But as far as I could see it only reduces NOx. I don't think it substantially reduces particulates, which are the other big public health concern from diesel exhausts.

(Of course, the DPF in Euro 5 and 6 diesels is pretty good at reducing many of the particulates, but that's another matter).

Launch 2020 equals delivery 2021. I would wait until T7 announced and then make a decision. A run-out T6/Demonstrator will be fairly highly specced with end of model incentives.
However, we had a Golf GTE plug in hybrid and for our journey profile it was fantastic and averaged 80+ mpg over 3 years. Perhaps the best ‘car’ I have owned.
Doesn’t beat the Cali though.
I like the idea of a hybrid Cali but most of its journeys would be long and lugging all those batteries for pottering slowly through the campsite probably doesn’t make sense. When more cities go clean air or ban fossil fuels altogether then the combination would make sense and the tech is being well trialled already with the Etron/GTE. I’ll be very interested when it does arrive.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46880937

Reading the recent announcement about Ford / VW commercial vehicle collaboration from 2022 It looks like the Transporter variants will not be included in this cost cutting venture. However hybrid Tech for the Cali will almost definitely be included.

upload_2019-1-15_16-30-3.png

I dont want to re-start the lively "Ford like or dislike" discussion, I am just providing the above for info for anyone who is interested in next generation VW vans.

The introduction of the T7 does not mean the end of the T6. They will continue to exist side by side for a number of years. The T6 will receive a another facelift (2020). Do not expect a California based on T7 soon. Patience is a virtue when it comes to Volkswagen.;)

VW ID Buzz all-electric small cargo van is planned for 2022, currently expected to have a max range of 340-miles. Inevitably there will be further variants, surely including a camper.

For your use-case it sounds like there'll maybe be time for an interim hybrid, rather than another diesel.

Article in same magazine had VW stating their next generation of fossil fuel engines will be their last.

Attachments

• VW ID Buzz.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 32
Next generation of diesels will have 20 year life. The move to electric will have major issue too as we cannot generate electricity sufficient for our needs now. No doubt efforts will be made with wind farms but as most planned farms are up here our countryside will be ruined. There is no easy answer but the hype and political rush against fossil fuels seems crazy. Will now await eco warriors responses:Nailbiting

I don't know what this means for the Transporter range but I believe Hybrid VW and AUDI cars have been discontinued awaiting the introduction of full electric versions.
My son is trying to replace his Golf GTE (Hybrid) with another but cannot order a new one so he asked about a new AUDI Hybrid to be told the reason as above.

Next generation of diesels will have 20 year life.
What will the predicted life of future EVs be? That's a critical question for me.

Some manufacturers give EV battery/drivetrain technology a warranty of 8 years. What happens then?

Old Prius battery packs are now requiring replacement and cost a small fortune. With labour costs this can often exceed the value of the car. What's the answer? (I bet they end up as scrap in most cases.)

I wonder if in the future vehicle ownership will be less common as manufacturers are pushed to recycle vehicles when their efficiency drops below a certain level/standard.

Will we all be forced to lease/hire vehicles as ownership no longer makes financial sense?

There will never be a electric powerd California as we know it now , based on the chassis of the people carrier.
Maybe a whole new concept yes , but that will take ages to develep and by the time it wil be on the market i'm probally in a wheelchair .
Live now worry later .
Why wait for something that might never come .....?

Waiting for something which might not appear or be unsuitable seems wasting precious time. Life is too short and use the healthy years to make the memories.

I wonder if in the future vehicle ownership will be less common
That is the expectation, particularly with the move to self driving cars. The car can drive itself to you, and then back to base when you've finished your hire. Those hitchhiking guys with number plates under their arms will be a thing of the past.

The idea is that you'll hire the specific vehicle you need for your specific journey. You'll just take a ride, so won't have to worry about familiarising yourself with the specifics of the vehicle.

It all sounds completely horrible, and it will be coming sooner than you think.

Back