Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wanted VW Cool/Hot box

B

BikesandOcean

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
hi i am looking for a VW Cool/Hot box hopefully unused what have people got, in the SW around cheltenham

I think you would be better off buying a compressor fridge as these cool boxes are very power hungry.

looked at them thinking a good option, only like the vw one as want to put in cabin and remove a seat

are these a big thing
large & heavy, we have ours in the boot on a sliding tray...but before that we had it behind the driver or passenger seat. Tend to use it on longer trips, otherwise we just use an insulated flask for milk etc.

Go for a Waeco / Dometic fridge with a fixing plate if you want it fixed down - we have various fridge positions depending on what we are doing / where we are going. as mentioned the cool boxes drain the leisure battery quickly - we are Beach owners in Cheltenham

I see you can’t buy the slide trays at the moment all out of stock, it seems

I see you have a Beach Tour which should mean you have no external hook up. With the cool box your leisure battery should last about a day but with a compressor fridge you should be able to get 2/3 days if not more.

Yep I’m convince, just the right box now. Think going to make space by using a vanpod

Hello Dadwithbeach,
The VW cool/warm box is a well made peice of kit that comes with a nice metal plate which securely attaches the unit neatly to the floor rails. Whilst it does take up valuable room, it's ideal for a foot stool or small table in your van. However, it isn't very good at it's primary role. As a cool box it's little better than the average cheap stand alone cool box with a few freezer blocks. The only real advantage being the securing plate that ensures it stays put in an accident and thereby not injuring the occupants. In heating mode it is excellent at melting cheese to a sticky soup. :headbang The reason that happened is that it is rather too easy to accidentally switch the thing from cold to hot. Either Mrs B or myself were responsible for that episode but add a few fiddle fingured children into the equation and..... well you can see the potential issue.

It's biggest issue though is that it's power hungry and will drain your leisure battery vey quickly.

As others have said, save your money and get a compressor fridge/freezer instead. They are expensive but IMO are worth every penny. They are whisper quiet, use power only when the compressor is working which isn't often because these units are very well insulated. They will freeze as well as cool and most will run on both 12v or 240v.

We also have a Beach and have a Dometic/Waeco CFX35 compressor fridge. This range come in various sizes to suit and are all very well made. We keep ours on a pull out tray in the boot.

In short, IMO the VW cool/hot box isn't fit for purpose.

Last edited: