Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wanting to go 2 tone wrap

Betty67

Betty67

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Have been looking to change look of my cali and looking to go 2 tone by wrapping lower half, but starting with deep black have not seen any 2 tone black vans. Does any one have any examples to view?

I think two tone looks better when you have the dark colour at the bottom. How about a top wrap with black bottom half? Grey top could be a starting point.

Was a time when two tone Black with Grey/Silver top was a factory option. Only White top now available with grey, green or bronze now offered.

What is the life of a wrap compared to paint? And would a wrap devalue, increase value or make no difference. Any idea what a top half wrap would cost?

What is the life of a wrap compared to paint? And would a wrap devalue, increase value or make no difference. Any idea what a top half wrap would cost?
Costs vary from £1-2.5k. Bottom usually wrapped, which protects the factory paint. I'd expect it would be seen as a benefit by the prospective buyer, but they may want it removing prior to buying to see the state of the factory paint. Easy job.

Top wrap is much more expensive due to roof area being a separate curved section not just slab areas like the bottom. Labour cost.

Have been looking to change look of my cali and looking to go 2 tone by wrapping lower half, but starting with deep black have not seen any 2 tone black vans. Does any one have any examples to view?
Hello Betty,
When I read the term "two tone" I always imagine two tones of the same colour. So in my minds eye I saw your van as black top half with a black wrap on the lower half. Every one uses that term I know but the thought of a two tone black van tickled me.

What colour is your van at present?

Long life, subject to wrap quality of course. Commercial vehicles are all done with wrap. Signage and body, eg Stobbard HGV's all are white on delivery then wrapped.

Could be argued that in the case of the bottom half that it will last longer than paint as more resistant to stone chips and minor carpark scrapes.

7 years on vertical panels 5 years on horizontal (eg roof or bonnet). The reason being that the film will become difficult to peel off if left longer as each panel piece may no longer come off as one piece. That is it may start to break into smaller pieces making its removal very time consuming. Also after 7 years I would suspect the film may no longer be in its as new condition, in the same way the paint finish will be no longer factory fresh. Returning a wrapped van back to factory fresh easy and much cheaper than a lower half respray.

Doubt it will have a negative effect on value as the paint under the film, which tends to be the more vulnerable lower half of the van, to be pristine. The next owner can either remove the film or have it rewrapped in a colour of their choice. What’s not to like.

A lower half wrap £1200, upper half should be about the same I guess but part of the benefit of wrapping is lost. The reason being is that it is the lower half of the paint work that needs protecting from brushes with hedges and debris thrown up by the tyres.

Would love to see how this colour combo looks on a T6 California. Looks good on the T7.

We have our Beach going in for a lower half wrap in fiery orange metallic with the upper left in silver metallic. Should be done mid-August so we shall see how it looks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have our Beach going in for a lower half wrap in fiery orange metallic with the upper left in silver metallic. Should be done mid-August so we shall see how it looks!

Look forward to seeing it! Have considered a metallic orange lower half on my Ascot grey van

dee75c493a5dd153d0f8a50fa37ba3ae.jpg

Well, here it is following its two day transformation by PW Pro in Mansfield using 3M Metallic ‘Flame Orange’.

More orange than a grove of Tango trees.

Well, here it is following its two day transformation by PW Pro in Mansfield using 3M Metallic ‘Flame Orange’.

Glorious!
Silver Cali? Who did it and are you happy with the quality? Lots of choice of colour?

Stunning - and totally unique I imagine.

Glorious!
Silver Cali? Who did it and are you happy with the quality? Lots of choice of colour?

It was done by PW Pro in Mansfield. Quality is excellent. Choice of colour was pretty wide. There were at least two makes of wrap available (3M and Avery I think), with multiple finishes (gloss, satin, matt) and multiple effects too (plain/metallic/pearlescent/colour-shift).

Stunning - and totally unique I imagine.

Unique apart from the T7 press release pictures which feature this exact colour pairing. But I like it. It was a bit of a gamble, but we used a sample and laid it against the silver base paint to check it looked ok. I hope it sends out ‘happy holiday vibes’

Unique apart from the T7 press release pictures which feature this exact colour pairing. But I like it. It was a bit of a gamble, but we used a sample and laid it against the silver base paint to check it looked ok. I hope it sends out ‘happy holiday vibes’

It definitely does! :thumb

It was almost £2000 including a clear bumper protector.

I take it from what you are saying that it has a coloured wrap on the bumpers then a clear wrap on top, is that right.
I was toying with having the top of my red van done in White and would imagine it would be a bit more than £2K because of the roof.

Back