Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wardrobe and packing cubes

N

nova30

Hello,

Does anyone use packing cubes/cells for organising and storing clothes? If so are they useful and do they help? We are hiring a Cali in the summer and thought these might help keep us organised? For those people that do use them what sizes work best for use in the wardrobe and the under bench drawer?

Thanks,

Mat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swear by them.

Two of the things you spend a lot of time doing in a camper van is first remembering where you put things then moving lots of stuff out of the way to get to them.

I have all my toiletries in white bags, all towels in yellow, clothes in black and red, etc.... Easy to find and a lot easier to move a bag out of, for example, the rear cupboard when turning the gas on and off, than 10 separate items.

Ebags are great! Large size - 4 will fit neatly in the drawer under back seat, full of clothes. Same size also fits well in the "wardrobe" stacked on top of each other. We don't have experience of the other sozed.

used our ebags (from Amazon) for the first time last week and thought they were brilliant. They keep your packing to a minimum, so you're not tempted to just shove another jumper in 'just in case' and by having a different colour/pattern per person really easy to find your stuff in the van. having them all the same size really helps with packing neatly into the van too, rather than lots of mis-matched bags.
I always find with bigger weekend bags, you spend the whole time rummaging around in them trying to find things, so these take away that whole wasted time and energy as they're not deep and you can see everything at a glance. We took one large one each for 3 nights away, and that managed to fit all clothes, including the children's onesies and blankets.

Thanks for the feedback and recommendations. It seems that you can't easily get ebags in the UK but there are clearly some good alternatives. I am now convinced that packing cubes are the way to go..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great thread for us! We have been using some really cheap packing bags but all the zips have bust after only a handful of trips.

Just googled ebags - looks like you can't buy them in the UK any longer. Which is a shame.

I LOVE our colour coded ebags! There are three of us and we all have our own colour. Noticed recently that amazon uk seems to have stopped stocking them. This could be because ebags now seem to supply the uk via ebay with fully managed shipping to the uk. You can see all costs up,front before you commit, but it does make it expensive. I have tried it though and it works well, it took about ten days to reach me here. You have to buy each item separately though so can't make shipping saving when buying several items.

I have just found another option and am testing it as we speak - I think it might turn out cheaper. I registered with one of several US companies that provide a fully managed shipping service for you and give you a US street address you can use for online purchases with US suppliers. The setup fee was only $10 and registering took five minutes. I have just made my first online purchase of more cubes at ebags.com and am waiting to see how the rest of it works out (in terms of time and cost etc.)!

So there is a way if like me you are determined to get hold of them! Hope helpful to some!

:cool:

We have been using packing cubes with our new wardrobe shelves; the full size shelves so no room for hanging clothes, which we didn't do. Bottom shelves used for bunging in coats, top two for 'cubes'. Works well so far and maximises space.

IMG_2182 wardrobe.jpg

OxCal would be really interested to hear your experience. I am looking into doing something similar but am nervous about the final shipping costs. Such a shame that ebags pulled out of the UK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've just bought a pack of two casetidy bags from Go Outdoors ÂŁ9. Size 45cm(18") x 28cm (11"). At first glance they seem descent, come in at least four different colours. I saw Black, White, Blue and Purple.

We use these upptacka cubes from ikea for a family of four.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30235115/

The large ones fit nicely on there side inside the bench draw, can get most stuff for a long weekend in for the four of us (we pack light).
Those IKEA cubes are currently on offer (or clearance?) for ÂŁ3 a set. I bought loads but am going to have to colour code them with tags (for his n hers), as they are all the same colour, but worth a try at less than ÂŁ1 each.

Has anyone tried the Thule Go boxes on the club shop? Do they make good use of space in the Ocean boot ?

We always use cubes to put our clothes in when going on a trip!
Use the ones from Decathlon.

We use sets from ebay - they come in multiple colours so we and the kids have our own colour coded sets. Really useful, my partner thinks they're amazing - means we can pack all our clothes in the storage box in our two seat bench beach and easily find what we want.

Amazing that these 'cubes' (eh?) took so long to come along. Any seasoned backpacker will tell you they've always packed that way, although back in the day it was with a collection of various-coloured tough plastic bags (those are still fine in my book, although we do now also have his-n-hers packing bags from Amazon which Mrs VD says are "better" and I guess that is true for keeping things neatly folded eg shirts).

i know this might seem an odd request. T6 hopefully being collected next weekend but wanted to get packing cubes to put clothes in to make maximum use of the space in wardrobe. Wanted to order in advance as we hope to straight off in it so need internal width depth dimensions please, thanks for any assistance with my odd query

looking to get some packing cubes for the wardrobe, don't have our Cali yet as picking up on Sat, wanting to be off on travels Sunday! Hence question, can anyone give me the internal measurements how wide etc so I can order some cubes asap Many thanks

Its dark and too late to go out and measure, however the largest one in this set we have fits perfectly in the bottom of the wardrobe.

http://amzn.eu/edfoM2q
Thanks for that. We have been using a hanging shelf thing from Wilko, which is ok but drives me bananas because it tends to slope forwards, plus my husband's stuff if on the top shelf (he needs encouragement to put things away so I try to make it easier for him) and I have to wrestle to put my stuff in and out underneath. Plus it leaves the massive base of the wardrobe unused except for chucking our dirty smalls etc in. I think I may try these packing cubes. Yes, they do look a bit pricey, but if they solve the problem they'll be worth every penny. If not, I'll just sell them on ebay!

Back