Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wardrobe door difficult to open

audio2

audio2

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I tried to open the sliding part of the wardrobe door for the first time, but it refused to move. I eventually used both hands and by using a lot of force got it to open. Having shut it, it is still almost impossible to open. The problem is to start it to move as once open an inch it is not too difficult.

Also the wardrobe light now stays on all the time. As the hinge does not close the switch. I have fixed it temporarily with tape, but cannot see what should have pressed the button. Should have lasted longer than 3 weeks on a new vehicle.

I tried to open the sliding part of the wardrobe door for the first time, but it refused to move. I eventually used both hands and by using a lot of force got it to open. Having shut it, it is still almost impossible to open. The problem is to start it to move as once open an inch it is not too difficult.

Also the wardrobe light now stays on all the time. As the hinge does not close the switch. I have fixed it temporarily with tape, but cannot see what should have pressed the button. Should have lasted longer than 3 weeks on a new vehicle.

I put some silicone in the runners on ours. But spray it onto a cloth and then wipe the cloth on the runners or you might get too much on there. It slides very easily now, almost too easily.
Don't try the same thing on the sliding hatch to the roof area on you'll never keep it shut afterwards. It needs friction to stay closed.

+1 for silicone spray. It's a quick and easy answer to that problem. Also works a treat on the sliding tambour door to the rear cubby-hole, and the kitchen cupboard doors, and the window blinds (but be very careful with those as if you use too much spray they won't stay down).

I had the same issue on first use. The first act on opening and the last on closing is a small sideways movement which unlocks/locks the runner and I was trying to force it without that unlocking. Maybe that's it ?
Also I'm still having that problem with that damn light though !

As @Bill R said. To open pull handle to R and then push. To close pull door towards you then push to L.

Personally I am not so keen to use silicon spray in situations like this as it tends to attract dust and small grit too. I use a rub of candle wax. Have used CW in this situation and also for top roller in sliding door and kitchen cupboard doors and the alignment stops on either side of the tailgate. In the last case got rid of a persistent squeak (obviously dry surface rubbing together).

Thanks for the very useful replies, after applying candle wax & pushing handle away from you before pushing sideways, all now opening easily.

Thanks for the very useful replies, after applying candle wax & pushing handle away from you before pushing sideways, all now opening easily.
:thumb:thumb

Did applying candle wax also cure light switch problem, as you didn't mention that?

No, but applying some insulating tape to the hinge has temporally made it work. I was wondering what was on the upper hinge originally? I probably need a stick on bumper thing.

Went to lock mine up last night and noticed the wardrobe light on, I had to push on the door next to the top hinge to to get the switch to turn it off. Is there something that should be on the hinge to depress the switch more? Also the aluminium strip above wardrobe had come away a bit, look like it’s just glued on.

Personally I am not so keen to use silicon spray in situations like this as it tends to attract dust and small grit too. I use a rub of candle wax. Have used CW in this situation and also for top roller in sliding door and kitchen cupboard doors and the alignment stops on either side of the tailgate. In the last case got rid of a persistent squeak (obviously dry surface rubbing together).
Thank you, thank you, thank you Jabberwocky! So THAT’S where the annoying squeak was coming from! Having failed to track it down for the last four years, the quick application of a little bit of an anti-mozzie candle to the alignment stops in the tailgate has cured the sole squeak in my Cali, even on the bumpy roads here in the foot of Italy. Bliss!

Hi jabberwocky, maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you use candle wax in this manner?

I’m keen to try something else as I had used some type of plastic spray type thing which is reasonably effective... but I now have sand all in my rear cupboard slider and it’s all stuck to the lubricant and the door opens (unsurprisingly) like it’s full of sandpaper. I think it needs cleaning with a cotton wool bud and trying with something else..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi jabberwocky, maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you use candle wax in this manner?

I’m keen to try something else as I had used some type of plastic spray type thing which is reasonably effective... but I now have sand all in my rear cupboard slider and it’s all stuck to the lubricant and the door opens (unsurprisingly) like it’s full of sandpaper. I think it needs cleaning with a cotton wool bud and trying with something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, OK. No hot wax is used in any of these applications. I rub ordinary non melted candle wax on surfaces that require some dry lubrication. For areas that are easy to get at I use a small sliver of wax that I cut from the side of an ordinary candle. For areas that are tricky or extra deep/thin to get at I melt some wax into a small cup cake case, wait for it to solidify, and peel away the case to leave a thin roundle (approx 50 pence in size and as thick as you need) that you can use to get at those awkward to get at places.
If you are not so happy about the practical aspects of molten wax then use some small lighting taper candles such as those you can get from this ebay site. https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Prices-Candles-Lighting-Tapers-200g-TA120628/2255180134
Hope this helps.

My dad always relied on green soap for all things stuck. Green soap = old fashioned green fairy soap. Ahh happy memories … Do they even still make green soap?
:thanksVerity, have just tried ordinary soap (organic so that makes it green right?) Door now much easier to open. :)

Hi,
I had exactly the same problem regarding light. My son had put his rucksack in the wardrobe and knocked off the tiny little sticky rubber pad on the hinge which pushes in the light switch (which turns it off)... I hunted around in the wardrobe and eventually found it .... it was stuck to his rucksack ... :)

Its really tiny, like a spongy rubber pad with a sticky back to it.
Chris

My dad always relied on green soap for all things stuck. Green soap = old fashioned green fairy soap. Ahh happy memories … Do they even still make green soap?
Yes they do. Morrison's gave it. Look out for household soap