Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wardrobe help please

RedCali

RedCali

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Has anyone got any ideas about how to use the wardrobe as a cupboard rather than for hanging clothes. If possible we would like some sort of shelves or easy access stacking boxes ( bearing in mind that the thing we want at any particular time will always be in the bottom box). Thank you.

Following a recommendation on here , we use E bags packing cubes from Amazon , you can fit in at least 5 of the large ones and we each have a different colour to make finding things easier. They do seem to come in and out of stock though, but we didn't have to wait too long.

I made some shelves with offcuts from an old Ikea desk and some alloy strip.
Initally the shelf supports were stuck to the sides of the wardrobe with sticky back velcro but these fell off in the heat in Spain so I used alloy strip with the shelf support angels pop rivetted on. The strips just sit on the bottom of the cupboard so can be removed if required.
The number of shelves is personal preference but we find two ideal for us and use zip bags (similar to ebags but cheaper) from Decathlon. Similar to these
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/kit-3-storage-bags-id_6317728.html

We stuff all our bedding in ours. 3 pillows, 2 double quilts, 2 fleece blankets and a light sheet. Works really well but I quite like the look of the shelves to. Don't know what we'd do with all that bedding though...

We stuff all our bedding in ours. 3 pillows, 2 double quilts, 2 fleece blankets and a light sheet. Works really well but I quite like the look of the shelves to. Don't know what we'd do with all that bedding though...
OK, I give up. Where do you hang your clothes?

Or are they squashed in with the bedding? :confused:

OK, I give up. Where do you hang your clothes?

Or are they squashed in with the bedding? :confused:
We don't wear clothes that need hanging. I bag each, 5 days worth of clothes rolls. I wear dresses that can be rolled up too. We leave our suits and shirts at home!

Thanks everyone. Like the shelf idea with some packing cubes, and also the suggestion about our bedding. We are going to try some ideas and see how we get on. Will report back in due course. Skylark we're very impressed at your ' clothing rolls' - we seem to have more of a clothing bundle!:rolleyes:

Has anyone got any ideas about how to use the wardrobe as a cupboard rather than for hanging clothes. If possible we would like some sort of shelves or easy access stacking boxes ( bearing in mind that the thing we want at any particular time will always be in the bottom box). Thank you.

We use Neatfreak storage from John Lewis as shown. Clothes rolled up in a Swiss roll worked great on our recent 1 month holiday to Scotland. No more rattling coat hangers. Wife really pleased with the set up 3 compartments fitted in far more clothes than our previous arrangements. She uses the very top section as well.

image.jpg

I have something similar from IKEA. It is slightly longer but the bottom shelves fold together nicely and are not in the way.

cool ... i would never have thought of that ... might give it a try next time out.
double sleeping bag and four pillows for sleeping upstairs.
:thumb

We don't wear clothes that need hanging. I bag each, 5 days worth of clothes rolls. I wear dresses that can be rolled up too. We leave our suits and shirts at home!
But you still need somewhere to store the rolled up clothes? Our bedding is stored on the rear shelf and we just unroll it when making the bed. If you store something other than the bedding there, then you need to find somewhere else to store it at night if you want to use the downstairs bed?

We use Neatfreak storage from John Lewis as shown. Clothes rolled up in a Swiss roll worked great on our recent 1 month holiday to Scotland. No more rattling coat hangers. Wife really pleased with the set up 3 compartments fitted in far more clothes than our previous arrangements. She uses the very top section as well.

View attachment 8974

I just love the look of that.

In fact I've just ordered one, even paid premium delivery so I can have it tomorrow before setting off for France.

Still very tempted by the neatfreak hanging thing, but have just fitted a full size plywood shelf at approx the same height as the fridge top. Can access underneath shelf from the boot, so going to keep spare gas bottle and other seldom needed stuff in there. On top washbags, towels and clothes. It didn't cost anything so nothing lost if it doesn't work. Will try it out and then post photos if it works out OK.

Still very tempted by the neatfreak hanging thing, but have just fitted a full size plywood shelf at approx the same height as the fridge top. Can access underneath shelf from the boot, so going to keep spare gas bottle and other seldom needed stuff in there. On top washbags, towels and clothes. It didn't cost anything so nothing lost if it doesn't work. Will try it out and then post photos if it works out OK.

I have just fitted neatfreak in my wardrobe and ever so impressed. 9 folded Tee shirts, two pairs of crops, three skirts and room for lots more without the knocking from coathangers.

Now going on a 2,000 mile roadtest,

Well, if I can get to Eurotunnel tomorrow of course ...

They wouldn't dare try to stop you.:D

I just love the look of that.

In fact I've just ordered one, even paid premium delivery so I can have it tomorrow before setting off for France.

I am really tempted to order one of these too, but wish it was just a little narrower so there might be space to still hang a coat - I hang a coat or two in there and then have a laundry bag and bag for 'smalls' plus pyjamas chucked in underneath the coats, so most of the space is wasted. It would be great to put clothes in the wardrobe (currently kept in the drawer under the bench) in a Neatfreak hanger, but where would I hang my coat? o_O

I am really tempted to order one of these too, but wish it was just a little narrower so there might be space to still hang a coat - I hang a coat or two in there and then have a laundry bag and bag for 'smalls' plus pyjamas chucked in underneath the coats, so most of the space is wasted. It would be great to put clothes in the wardrobe (currently kept in the drawer under the bench) in a Neatfreak hanger, but where would I hang my coat? o_O

If I had formal events to go to whilst travelling the neatfreak would have to temporarily give way. When it's normal everyday stuff that I am wearing the coat gets hung by the hook at the end of the kitchen whilst travelling, and when still off an "S" hook looped over the passenger door grab handle.

When I was in Belgium last Autumn, speaking at various events in the Evening, I travelled with the rear seat slightly forwards and my formal dresses and coats hanging from the rear headrests.

I take it all the weight from stowed clothes in the neatfreak is on the rail - how much weight can it take?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

When I was in Belgium last Autumn, speaking at various events in the Evening, I travelled with the rear seat slightly forwards and my formal dresses and coats hanging from the rear headrests.

I like that idea; may have to give it a go! Thank you! :thumb

so far the weight of - 9 tee shirts and tops, two light summer skirts, two pairs of crops. Shoes, 2 pairs, are on the floor of the wardrobe where the neatfreak rests.

One other pair are on my feet and my running shoes are on top of the gas bottle :)

We tend to hang 'formal dining attire' in the wardrobe, ball gowns and suits tend to get crumpled otherwise........ Of course we always carry an ironing board to make sure shirts and trousers are neatly pressed.......as an alternative we stuff our 'informal attire' in the bench seat drawer, works for us ;)

Ps the neat freak thing looks very useful

But you still need somewhere to store the rolled up clothes? Our bedding is stored on the rear shelf and we just unroll it when making the bed. If you store something other than the bedding there, then you need to find somewhere else to store it at night if you want to use the downstairs bed?
Bags of clothes go on back shelk on top of mattress. tucked into drivers side so can still see out of back window. Pop them on the passenger seat at night so handy for a rumage in the morning

I have just fitted neatfreak in my wardrobe and ever so impressed. 9 folded Tee shirts, two pairs of crops, three skirts and room for lots more without the knocking from coathangers.

Now going on a 2,000 mile roadtest,

Well, if I can get to Eurotunnel tomorrow of course ...
Bon voyage!

Back