Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Warranty recall on beach roof

steve morrish

steve morrish

Vehicle
T5 Beach
I have a 2015 beach that has just had a full service by VW and they said that I had a recall regarding my factory roof.
I believe it's linked to corrosion of the front part of the roof, but currently I can't see any myself and I'm unsure whether to except the warranty work as some people say the repair work they do looks awful.
If I don't have the work done and later it does corrode will I still be able to have it completed.
I'm waiting for one of the vw technicians to ring me to explain exactly what work will be carried out, so have many people had this repair completed? Even though there was no visible corrosion yet?

It’s probably the “recall“ to check if there is a protective tape fitted to the edge of the lifting part of the roof and to check if there is corrosion under the rubber. there are lots of posts on the subject if you search for “roof tape”.
Mine was checked at a routine service.

Hopefully the front panel issue was sorted by VW by the time your van was manufactured those who had Van's with the issue like myself will tell you you can not miss the issue. The issue of bubbles under the roof seal on the main roof continues and VW continues with possible fixes. (Such as stated by @ArunAlec ) The roof tape is nothing to loose sleep over.

Many thanks, they did check at my last service which has prompted this, as I wasn't contacted prior to this recall, so it sounds a job worth getting done.

I have a 2015 beach that has just had a full service by VW and they said that I had a recall regarding my factory roof.
I believe it's linked to corrosion of the front part of the roof, but currently I can't see any myself and I'm unsure whether to except the warranty work as some people say the repair work they do looks awful.
If I don't have the work done and later it does corrode will I still be able to have it completed.
I'm waiting for one of the vw technicians to ring me to explain exactly what work will be carried out, so have many people had this repair completed? Even though there was no visible corrosion yet?

My 2014 California was recalled in March for a roof corrosion check. They were very vague about why and where. The dealer found six spots needing remedial work and told me the waiting list meant I would probably have to wait until 2021 as there were so few places that can deal with it!
I actually ended up with an appointment for 25th November this year and it is currently away "up north" somewhere (I live on the south coast). I have had a hire car for two week so far and am still waiting to hear from my local dealer about when it will be back. No one seems to be able to say what is actually being done or what the problem is.

My 2014 California was recalled in March for a roof corrosion check. They were very vague about why and where. The dealer found six spots needing remedial work and told me the waiting list meant I would probably have to wait until 2021 as there were so few places that can deal with it!
I actually ended up with an appointment for 25th November this year and it is currently away "up north" somewhere (I live on the south coast). I have had a hire car for two week so far and am still waiting to hear from my local dealer about when it will be back. No one seems to be able to say what is actually being done or what the problem is.
I had almost to pull teeth to get VW Spain to tell me what they had actually done to my 2014 Beach, but I persevered, and they did. On raising roof, seal removed, paint removed on perimeter, new special primer applied, perimeter repainted. On front cap, front part cut off in order to reduce cost of removing entire cap, which is a structural part extending almost a meter back along the side, then plastic cap fitted over the original one, and special clear plastic tape fitted at corners. Long story short, on the cap the corrosion will continue, but you won't be able to see it. It was delivered to me with wind whistling through the cap at highway speeds, went back for 10 days to correct (why they couldn't test drive it I'll never know). Six months later, both front mouldings on the side of the cap had come unglued, letting water drip on the window controls, now fixed. We'll see how this lasts, since I intend to keep the van for 10 years.

Thanks for the updates, it all sounds interesting as I have now be told they are completing a more in-depth inspection this Friday and if necessary they can complete a minor modification locally (although haven’t really detailed what) and if further work is required that it would need to be transported to somewhere in Bristol for that repair.
I have looked at the roof myself and not seen any bubbles of corrosion, so let’s see what they report back.

I had mine checked last year, and they found very minor corrosion. Van was sorted by the bodyshop then the tape applied. Seems good so far.

Worth saying I Had it checked teh year before by the VW bodyshop who said it was fine.

Back