Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Waste chemical lifespan

How long do does the PortaPotti waste chemical last?

• 4 days from preparing the waste tank

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 4 days from first use

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
MeltedGoldfish

MeltedGoldfish

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
So, can anyone settle a discussion on portapotti chemicals that I had with a fellow Cali owner at the weekend (while our wives were watching the football…):

It’s well publicised that the waste tank chemicals are good for about 4-5 days before they lose their effectiveness (Thetford say AquaKem Green lasts 4 days). However, is that 4 days from when you add/dilute the chemical in the wast tank, or 4 days from ‘first use’ of the toilet?

I assumed the former, meaning I need to prepare the tank when loading the van immediately before going away (or when arriving on site) and means the chemicals are wasted if we end up not using it. My friend assumed the latter, meaning he simply refills the tank immediately after emptying so it’s ready to go for the next trip, which might be a week or two later (seems far more efficient!). Which one of us is right?!

For the avoidance of doubt, I know the flush chemical lasts a lot longer and doesn't need to be emptied.

I would keep chemicals in it all the time, as it’s impossible to get them completely clean and will help to reduce germs.
The chemical will still break down everything after 4 days as mine gets used for longer, the chemical smell may reduce if left for long periods not being used I imagine.

store with a small amount in, if left for ages then simply empty at home and refill. The stuff is so cheap to buy, I would just watch the footy!!!

I leave ours ready to go at all times. If its been a week or two I might splash a bit more of the chemical in. Certainly wouldn't bother emptying it if unused.

Sorry can’t help with your football avoidance debate.....

This might be controversial.....

If I use a chemical loo (when my girlfriend joins me) I use vinegar instead of both chemicals. As I don’t use camp sites, if necessary a large hole can be dug in the woods (far from any water courses or places where people go) and the contents poured into it and then the hole filled in.

Sorry can’t help with your football avoidance debate.....

This might be controversial.....

If I use a chemical loo (when my girlfriend joins me) I use vinegar instead of both chemicals. As I don’t use camp sites, if necessary a large hole can be dug in the woods (far from any water courses or places where people go) and the contents poured into it and then the hole filled in.
Most campsites will do a loo empty and van water refill service for around £5, I very rarely stay on sites but use them all the time.
Camping in the forest chain and loads of others.

Most campsites will do a loo empty and van water refill service for around £5, I very rarely stay on sites but use them all the time.
Camping in the forest chain and loads of others.
Thank you!

So, can anyone settle a discussion on portapotti chemicals that I had with a fellow Cali owner at the weekend (while our wives were watching the football…):

It’s well publicised that the waste tank chemicals are good for about 4-5 days before they lose their effectiveness (Thetford say AquaKem Green lasts 4 days). However, is that 4 days from when you add/dilute the chemical in the wast tank, or 4 days from ‘first use’ of the toilet?

I assumed the former, meaning I need to prepare the tank when loading the van immediately before going away (or when arriving on site) and means the chemicals are wasted if we end up not using it. My friend assumed the latter, meaning he simply refills the tank immediately after emptying so it’s ready to go for the next trip, which might be a week or two later (seems far more efficient!). Which one of us is right?!

For the avoidance of doubt, I know the flush chemical lasts a lot longer and doesn't need to be emptied.
The chemicals diluted or not will last forever. They react with the waste products once they come into contact with it and are thus consumed. The 4 days is an average based on average use.

Thanks all :thanks . For once I'm happy to be wrong, and the PortaPotti will now be stored refilled and ready to go!

As for the football....I'm a Welshman brought up on rugby, so you'll have to forgive me if I fail to get excited. I didn't even realise the tournament was on until half way through the first week :embarrased!

Never used the chemicals in ours.
Just wash it out every few days with water, once emptied.
We very rarely use it for anything other than number 1s.
God bless supermarket toilet facilities.

I only put water in the top half (I don’t add the pink stuff) and have that ready to go all the time and then just before the first use I open the hole and drop a sachet in and then do a flush or 2. I know sachets are more expensive but it just works for us. I have found that as long as the toilet paper isn’t over used that the toilet can last a week, I found this out by accident as I didn’t realise it had been used the weekend before on a day trip. When emptied you wouldn’t have known.

I only put water in the top half (I don’t add the pink stuff) and have that ready to go all the time and then just before the first use I open the hole and drop a sachet in and then do a flush or 2. I know sachets are more expensive but it just works for us. I have found that as long as the toilet paper isn’t over used that the toilet can last a week, I found this out by accident as I didn’t realise it had been used the weekend before on a day trip. When emptied you wouldn’t have known.
The pink stuff is not for decomposing waste, but to clean/rinse the bowl after use.
my 335 lasts 2.5 days for 1 adult+1 child using it late night to early morning

The chemicals diluted or not will last forever. They react with the waste products once they come into contact with it and are thus consumed. The 4 days is an average based on average use.
I've read and watch video on this topic, as often chemicals seem to fail at dissolving waste and toilet paper. The reason seems to be the lack of enough fluids. Therefore I would think by adding water to the chemicals the chemical process begins. Hence the time limitation of up to 4-5 days.
Not sure. I'd also love to leave the PP ready for use with the chemicals ready to go.

I've read and watch video on this topic, as often chemicals seem to fail at dissolving waste and toilet paper. The reason seems to be the lack of enough fluids. Therefore I would think by adding water to the chemicals the chemical process begins. Hence the time limitation of up to 4-5 days.
Not sure. I'd also love to leave the PP ready for use with the chemicals ready to go.
The chemicals are water based in their concentrated form anyway.

Is this also a question on what is deposited in the toilet?

We have a strict rule of No.1's only.

The chemicals continue to work for far more than the 4 days suggested.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that diluting them might start the lock running, but from 'first contact with something nasty' does seem to be the more logical answer. Plus it means I can have the PP stored ready for use, so is my preferred answer and the one I'm going with!

I'm less concerned with how long it lasts from first use, irrespective of 1s/2s...we won't be away for more than 4-5 days at a time very often and I certainly won't be storing it at home in the 'used' state!

Cheers all.

Never used the chemicals in ours.
Just wash it out every few days with water, once emptied.
We very rarely use it for anything other than number 1s.
God bless supermarket toilet facilities.
That’s ok but walking across a supermarket carpark at 7am in the pouring rain is not my idea of camping fun....When you need to go....

Back