Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Waste Water Gauge 2021 T6.1 Ocean

VW1Camp

VW1Camp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
After

I have a 2021 T6.1 Ocean with I presume a dodgy waste water gauge… No matter empty or full the level on the gauge doesn’t change.

Presumably the gauge should display the water level?

D665F6ED-5FD6-4484-B322-22E3D075F6EA.jpeg

The waste always shows the level in the image.

Its been into Brian Currie in Milton Keynes, they are unsure if this is correct and are checking with VWCV, unfortunately they don’t have one to compare.

Thanks
David

After

I have a 2021 T6.1 Ocean with I presume a dodgy waste water gauge… No matter empty or full the level on the gauge doesn’t change.

View attachment 92117

Its been into Brian Currie in Milton Keynes, they are unsure if this is correct and are checking with VWCV, unfortunately they don’t have one to compare.

Thanks
David
Ours has always been the same, fairly useless.

After

View attachment 92117

Thanks
David
If they are using the same sender as in the T5, then it only indicates when the waste water tank is full, no indication of level.

Ours is a late 2020. Exactly the same.
I figure the sink will stop draining when it’s full

Ours is the same. We did fill it (deliberately) in order to sanitise the tank. One second ‘empty’ next second ‘warning - waste tank full’ and the icon showed full as well. 2 hired vans previously were the same. The fresh water tank is not much better.

Does take a while to "catch up". Once full, the display does change to an image depicting a full tank and you get a "pop-up" msg telling you to empty it. The msg requires a touch of the "OK" to make it disappear.

Does take a while to "catch up". Once full, the display does change to an image depicting a full tank and you get a "pop-up" msg telling you to empty it. The msg requires a touch of the "OK" to make it disappear.
Thanks, I emptied a full tank of water into the waste and no change to the level indicator and no warning. I’ll try a full tank plus if there is an overflow and report back.

Thanks everyone for your comments

Was watching a YouTube video and saw this ...

1660894979209.png

... they have a properly empty waste tank display .... no yellow. :confused:

Ours is frustratingly the same: always shows the same, even after a good emptying!
Which we’ve been doing a lot this last month on our tour de Bretagne - some nasty smells coming out of there, we forgot that the plug also has the use of protecting us from the evil brewing in the waste water tank.

How do you clean your waste water tank? I tried filling with clean water and then draining but that’s not made it much better. Katadyn, like the fresh water tank? Surely not bleach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ef97e91832286685b5d4f098976cd26a.jpg

How do you clean your waste water tank? I tried filling with clean water and then draining but that’s not made it much better. Katadyn, like the fresh water tank? Surely not bleach?
We crush up a dishwasher tablet or chuck some washing powder down the plughole, whichever is to hand.

Our shows the same, MY22 Coast. Apparently that’s “how they are”…

Ours is frustratingly the same: always shows the same, even after a good emptying!
Which we’ve been doing a lot this last month on our tour de Bretagne - some nasty smells coming out of there, we forgot that the plug also has the use of protecting us from the evil brewing in the waste water tank.

I fill the waste tank with fresh water with sterilant in it, via the tap. The full routine is in the following post …

So far it’s kept the waste tank smelling sweet ;)

We also collect the waste water from cleaning the tanks in a wash bowl, so we can use on the garden, to save wasting it. Drought round here at the moment.

Last edited:
Same here on brand new Ocean. Fresh water tank displays the current water level. Waste water tank only ever displays a thin yellow line at the bottom.

I’m bringing the van back to the dealership later this week to get the broken pop-up roof and a broken blind repaired (we haven’t exactly been lucky with our Cali so far) and I mentioned the waste water tank thing as being a fault to look at as well. It looks like from messages here that it’s in fact « by design ». I’ll see what VW says.

Our shows the same, MY22 Coast. Apparently that’s “how they are”…
I agree. It's just a binary indicator, not a gradual one in stages like the fresh tank. It either shows empty or full. Try to push it further when it shows full and you'll get a pop up msg telling you to empty it. The msg will require an "ok" to acknowledge it.

Well I decided to get to the bottom of it and took the inspection hatch off my waste water tank.

The level sensor is a stubby little float on a short rod inserted through the top of the tank. The float won't even start to move until the tank is almost full.

... so it's pretty much a binary sensor.