Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water filler cap (and neck?) stolen

Cooptroop

Cooptroop

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I've had my water filler cap pinched and brought a replacement from the shop, but trying to fit this this morning and it won't go on.

I've either brought the wrong part, or another part of the neck has been broken off. I think it is the latter :mad:

Currently my filler panel looks like this:

waterfillerneck-jpg.28854

Looking at other posts (https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/external-water-cap-mount-is-broken-can-it-be-fixed.13607/) it looks like there is another ring that has been ripped out too.

Does anyone know if this specific piece is replaceable, or if I have to replace the whole panel?

Are there any other ideas for fixing this?

WaterFillerNeck.jpg

Yep , that does not look like as it suppose to....
Think someone forced off the cap , maybe thinking it was the fuellcap to steal diesel.
The locking system is missing
Just went out taking a picture of mine
IMG_6981.JPG

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sad
I've had my water filler cap pinched and brought a replacement from the shop, but trying to fit this this morning and it won't go on.

I've either brought the wrong part, or another part of the neck has been broken off. I think it is the latter :mad:

Currently my filler panel looks like this:

waterfillerneck-jpg.28854

Looking at other posts (https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/external-water-cap-mount-is-broken-can-it-be-fixed.13607/) it looks like there is another ring that has been ripped out too.

Does anyone know if this specific piece is replaceable, or if I have to replace the whole panel?

Are there any other ideas for fixing this?

View attachment 28854
Looks like you also need to replace the filler panel as that has been damaged too. Easy to do but a bit fiddly.
Part number is 7E7068351

Alan

Thanks @AlanC and @hotel california :thumb

Local van centre quoted me £214 for replacement plus fitting. Plus I had to make two trips, one to confirm the right bit was being ordered, then another for replacement and fitting :mad:

I've already got a hobbyist 3D printer so have tried that route and seems to have worked. After a few iterations managed to created a suitable replacement part. Friction fit but will also add a bit of something sticky to hold it in, but otherwise does the job :)

13.5 m of filament used, so approximately 70p :D (plus electric and time). If anyone else is interested I've uploaded the part to thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2769419

IMG_20180125_113533214_HDR.jpg

Wow, that is brilliant.
Some Gorilla glue and you are sorted.
Well done

Alan

Yep , that does not look like as it suppose to....
Think someone forced off the cap , maybe thinking it was the fuellcap to steal diesel.
The locking system is missing
Just went out taking a picture of mine
View attachment 28855
After seeing that picture i went out to have a look in
mine, i was relieved to see that mine was looking like new inside
the filler.
I hope you don´t drink from yours.
How did it get so dirty on the inside ?

@westfalia , don't know how but it has some sludge on the edges indeed , i always fill up with a bucket (for that use only ) from the hometap or campsite tap , never use hoses or other stuff . The water coming out my tank is not dirty or smelly , it's just arround the filler cap that it has this.
We not drink from the tap only use water for cooking and washing up .
Do take note , we use our watertank at all time .....some cali's have never had water in the tank and still look brand new .

Last edited:
We should have a separate section for 3D print solutions.

Simon
An aerodynamic front end cap for the awning would be great design product. Any volunteer

I have had a similar problem with mine. On my MY17 Ocean, I took off the cap to fill the tank today and found I could not secure the cap properly. When I looked closer, part of the filler had com off with the cap. The two parts do not seem very securely attached to each other- a friction fit is not enough. I'm off in the van after work tomorrow, so I think I'll glue it in with "evostick" glue for now. When I get a chance, I'll use a couple of blobs of sikaflex. I noticed when I was driving that rather a lot of water was coming out around the filler.

For the record, I glued the fitting back on with sikaflex. Tried rubber solution glue but that didn’t work.
c5ad40cdc83b4537df86974abd52a0b6.heic
Looked was originally stuck on with two tiny blobs of clear glue.

Thanks @AlanC and @hotel california :thumb

Local van centre quoted me £214 for replacement plus fitting. Plus I had to make two trips, one to confirm the right bit was being ordered, then another for replacement and fitting :mad:

I've already got a hobbyist 3D printer so have tried that route and seems to have worked. After a few iterations managed to created a suitable replacement part. Friction fit but will also add a bit of something sticky to hold it in, but otherwise does the job :)

13.5 m of filament used, so approximately 70p :D (plus electric and time). If anyone else is interested I've uploaded the part to thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2769419

View attachment 29412
You don’t fancy making another do you ? It has just happened to me in a carpark in Cornwall, what are people thinking of??
The neck is still there but three sections of the locking collar plastic missing.

You don’t fancy making another do you ? It has just happened to me in a carpark in Cornwall, what are people thinking of??
The neck is still there but three sections of the locking collar plastic missing.
My commiserations, it might be better to leave it unlocked in future?

Tom

Which car park?

I cannot understand why? Surely its not just for the cap cos it would
be broken and they wouldn't be able to use it.

My commiserations, it might be better to leave it unlocked in future?

Tom
I don’t think you can. The key has to be used to secure the cap in place as well as lock it.... at least that’s how mine works.

I don’t think you can. The key has to be used to secure the cap in place as well as lock it.... at least that’s how mine works.
Once my cap is fitted i have to put the key in and turn it 180° for it to lock.

I wouldn't want to leave it open but if it got tampered with i´d have my head in the
tank and give it a good clean out, never know, someone could've slipped a mickey in there
or worse, a date rape drug.

Imagine having your morning brew and then feeling all happy wanting to go raving :)

Any news on which carpark?

For the record, I glued the fitting back on with sikaflex. Tried rubber solution glue but that didn’t work.
c5ad40cdc83b4537df86974abd52a0b6.heic
Looked was originally stuck on with two tiny blobs of clear glue.
This is exactly what has happened to mine - the glue for the locking sleeve appears to be totally inadequate thus the locking sleeve comes away with the water filler cap - took me a few minutes to work out. What adhesive have people used to re-attach the locking sleeve to the body ?

Sikaflex is easy to apply, waterproof and a very strong adhesive.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

Back