Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water in rear heater duct?

S

Simon_vanlife

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
While doing a complete overhaul on our 1993 T4 I've noticed that the rear heater duct (behind passenger seat) always has about 0,5" water sitting in it. I've tried to look for any drain holes but it seems that there isn't any. As far as I can see the radiator sits right there in the duct, so I would imagine the water to be condensation from the radiator?

So: should it be there or not? I would think a bowl of water always sitting there will add to condensation inside the camper...

Thanks.

Do you mean the system that uses the sliding door footwell grill?

It’s either rain water getting in or coolant leaking into the system from the engine.

Any loss of coolant level?

It’s either rain water getting in or coolant leaking into the system from the engine.

It would be that system, yes. :)
Haven't noticed any loss there. Vehicle is jacked up for the rebuild, but I'll make sure to keep an eye on the level!
Can't be rain water since the camper is parked in my garage. :)

So got the duct dried out. Looks a lot like engine coolant! :/ Radiator looks not to good either. I've been searching for diagrams on how the system is assembled but can't find any. Also a part number for the radiator if I need a replacement.. Any ideas?

So got the duct dried out. Looks a lot like engine coolant! :/ Radiator looks not to good either. I've been searching for diagrams on how the system is assembled but can't find any. Also a part number for the radiator if I need a replacement.. Any ideas?
1993 Second Heater.png
Hopefully this'll help.

Back