Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water leak to footwell

simon parker

simon parker

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Seen a few other posts on this issue but my Cali is LHD so not sure if makes any difference. But last few times its rained, with the roof down, I've noticed water collecting in the passenger footwell. Which would be driver footwell in the UK, my Cali is LHD. I can see a small trickle coming down over the internal wheel arch. If I follow it up it feels damp at the top of the wheel arch, just under the dash, see photo.

IMG_0489.jpegI gather it could be from a blocked drain hole in the roof gutter and have popped the top to take a look and can see the drain hole, has some water in it. I've ordered some compressed air as that seems to be the consensus blast air down it, so hopefully it fixes it. But is there anywhere else I should look?

Thanks for any help and advise

Seen a few other posts on this issue but my Cali is LHD so not sure if makes any difference. But last few times its rained, with the roof down, I've noticed water collecting in the passenger footwell. Which would be driver footwell in the UK, my Cali is LHD. I can see a small trickle coming down over the internal wheel arch. If I follow it up it feels damp at the top of the wheel arch, just under the dash, see photo.

View attachment 84178I gather it could be from a blocked drain hole in the roof gutter and have popped the top to take a look and can see the drain hole, has some water in it. I've ordered some compressed air as that seems to be the consensus blast air down it, so hopefully it fixes it. But is there anywhere else I should look?

Thanks for any help and advise
Don’t blast anything down the drain! You will probably end up blowing the pipe off the connector where it meets the roof grommet. Be gentle!
Also possible that it’s water leaking past the edges of roof grommet and running down the outside of pipe in the A Pillar.
There a lots of posts and pictures on the problem of ”drain/roof” leaks worth having a search.

shan't use an airline, was just going to gently blow some air from a straw that comes with the compressed air can. Or would it be better to put a syring of water down it instead?

As for the grommet, not quite sure what you mean or where it is, does anyone have a photo of where I should be looking?

shan't use an airline, was just going to gently blow some air from a straw that comes with the compressed air can. Or would it be better to put a syring of water down it instead?

As for the grommet, not quite sure what you mean or where it is, does anyone have a photo of where I should be looking?
The cans of compressed air don’t really do that much (keyboard blower etc).
the syringe and warm water replicates the drain process and gives you a visual confirmation of the water drawing correctly to the front wheel arches.

the drain grommets are on the front cap section of the roof ( fixed section ) either side of the roof, located in the channel ( lift roof) there is a valve inline which is behind the scuttle plate the valve can stick with crud as can the tubes become blocked with debris.
there are also two through holes at the rear of the roof which drain behind the tailgate, lift the tailgate lock either side at the point where the body / roof panels curve and you will see a black rubber circle with a hole. That connects to a black runner grommet at the rear of the roof channel.

Post showing scuttle panel outlet ( late in thread)

The right angled “rubber” bit that forms the opening for the drain. And where the roof pipework enters the van.
1631201497535.jpeg

Ok so confirmed the leak is on the roof. Opened the pop top and sprayed water into or rather at the drain hole. See photo. And water appeared inside the van straight away.
So question is how do I fix it. Any advice appreciated. D40F1473-0179-44B4-A9F3-319D28DA4E5B.jpeg

ok so adding to my previous post, leak is indeed the drain tube from the roof down the a frame, how to fix it I've no idea, see previous post for photo. At some point that drain tube must exit the vehicle to let the water out, people talk about a grommet. Where is it, if I can find where the water should come out, is it in the engine area or under the wheel arch? Then I can see if it's blocked at that end. Looking under the wheel arch I can't see anything without taking the wheel off and the wheel lining out or is it in the engine area? Appreciate your help and any photos. But it's definitely from the roof as when I pour water into the corner where the drain hole is with the roof up, water immediately hits the interior footwell. Note the van is 2019 T6 Cali if it makes any difference, LHD

The panel under your wipers ( the void that can been seen when opening the bonnet) is called the scuttle panel.

the drain tube has a rubber valve location on the end if the tube , the valve is located on the bulk head within the scuttle panel.
the water simply exist‘s the valve via gravity (unless blocked) falls onto the inside of the wheel arch liner plastic and falls to the floor ( which is the visual indication the water is draining correctly, i.e water on the ground under the wheel arch )

simply cleaning any crude from the top of the roof entry point and
putting some clean warm water down the tubes with a syringe should be all that is required to clear the valve (located in the scuttle) you will know when it clear as the water will gurgle and go down the tube.

may I suggest some reading, there us lots and lots of posts on the subject, many of which show the location of the various part referred to in this thread, potential issues and the method(s) employed by others to correct the issue(s)

edit: see post #8 : link attached to a thread, the final photo In That thread shows the valve located in the scuttle

Last edited:
Have a look at this thread also ( lots more in the search function or Google)

Thanks. I’ve syringed water down the drain tube, from the roof, and the water goes straight into the footwell. So it’s either blocked I guess where it would exit, or the tube has somewhere disconnected. should I try find where it exits and see if it’s blocked that end?

You mention post #8 of a thread for a photo, can you link me that thread?

Thanks. I’ve syringed water down the drain tube, from the roof, and the water goes straight into the footwell. So it’s either blocked I guess where it would exit, or the tube has somewhere disconnected. should I try find where it exits and see if it’s blocked that end?

use the search function , there are full threads on tubes that are leaking and how Ops have corrected it

edit: some one may have tried previously to clear a blockage, which may have disconnected the pipe

edit:

I’ve had it from new. Just started leaking it’s just over three years old so it’s not something someone else has done. I’ll remove the scuttle panel under the windscreen and try find where the water should come out and check it’s not blocked that end

I’ve had it from new. Just started leaking it’s just over three years old so it’s not something someone else has done. I’ll remove the scuttle panel under the windscreen and try find where the water should come out and check it’s not blocked that end
Please report back your findings to help others ( good luck)

Please report back your findings to help others ( good luck)
So, I eventually got it booked in to VW Van Centre in Birmingham, told them where I thought the leak was from, the drain hole from the roof down the a frame and they confirmed it was. However, they claim the drain pipe has been cut, blaming the alarm that was installed over 2 years ago. They tell me whoever fitted the alarm has cut into the 'air duct' which needs replacing apparently and is not in stock, cut into the fuse box housing. Basically whoever fitted the alarm has cut the drain pipe, so all needs replacing, I need to get the alarm rewired first, then take it back to VW when they get the bits needed and will take approx 6 hours to fix at a cost of £799.

So I'm about to visit the alarm people as talk to them about re-wiring it but I fail to see how even if they have cut into the drain holes, that only now, after 2 and a half years since they fitted it, is there a leak. Leak only started 4 weeks ago. My view is one part of this drain has simply come unplugged as they are only push fit apparently so just needs pushing back together.

I'm not enterely sure what VW have done to diagnose this leak, I don't believe they've really taken off the a frame panel to have a look. They had it for a full day and charged me £60 for the 'diagnosis'

Any advise is appreciated before I speak to the alarm people and pay them to rewire the alarm then another £800 to VW to re-do the drain pipe.

I'm in Birmingham if it helps

I’ve shown the drain “exit” in the following…
Recently had a clear out of the muck that accumulates in the void in front of the windscreen, (also where the roof drains discharge).
There's a plate behind the battery that can be removed (once the hidden screw is removed) to give access to the "compost" that collects there.
The photo attached shows the view of the air intake (and the outlet for the roof drain) once the access cover is off. I drilled a hole in the plastic cover to allow easier removal of the access plate as it needs a regular clearout!

IMG_5642.JPG

IMG_5645.JPG

So, I eventually got it booked in to VW Van Centre in Birmingham, told them where I thought the leak was from, the drain hole from the roof down the a frame and they confirmed it was. However, they claim the drain pipe has been cut, blaming the alarm that was installed over 2 years ago. They tell me whoever fitted the alarm has cut into the 'air duct' which needs replacing apparently and is not in stock, cut into the fuse box housing. Basically whoever fitted the alarm has cut the drain pipe, so all needs replacing, I need to get the alarm rewired first, then take it back to VW when they get the bits needed and will take approx 6 hours to fix at a cost of £799.

So I'm about to visit the alarm people as talk to them about re-wiring it but I fail to see how even if they have cut into the drain holes, that only now, after 2 and a half years since they fitted it, is there a leak. Leak only started 4 weeks ago. My view is one part of this drain has simply come unplugged as they are only push fit apparently so just needs pushing back together.

I'm not enterely sure what VW have done to diagnose this leak, I don't believe they've really taken off the a frame panel to have a look. They had it for a full day and charged me £60 for the 'diagnosis'

Any advise is appreciated before I speak to the alarm people and pay them to rewire the alarm then another £800 to VW to re-do the drain pipe.

Hi Simon,

ask VW for photos of the issue and the work they carried out (and charged you for) to diagnose such a claim ? The dealer should be able to do this without question particularly as they must have taken a record for their own purposes to disprove a warranty claim For a failure ?

Does your Van have an additional alarm to the factory Alarm ?
If so Why?
Did you have the alarm fitted ?
I doubt after a period of time the alarm fitter will take responsibility for a leak some considerable time later.
where do VW say the pipe has been “cut“ when installing an alarm ?

if you are going to pay for the Alarm to be rewired? Can you not carry out repairs to the Drain pipe that has been “cut” whilst the alarm is being rewired?

I’ve shown the drain “exit” in the following…
Recently had a clear out of the muck that accumulates in the void in front of the windscreen, (also where the roof drains discharge).
There's a plate behind the battery that can be removed (once the hidden screw is removed) to give access to the "compost" that collects there.
The photo attached shows the view of the air intake (and the outlet for the roof drain) once the access cover is off. I drilled a hole in the plastic cover to allow easier removal of the access plate as it needs a regular clearout!

IMG_5642.JPG

IMG_5645.JPG
Thanks as always. This is very useful. Decided it’s a ‘when we get home job’. No torx in the van.
5A171BC4-9B4A-46B1-8FAC-6FEC7C062528.jpeg

Last edited:

Nobody ever reports back what happened.
It’s so often “please please help me!” But then don’t report what happened, to help others.

Yep poured water in the roof gutter and it came out here. I think my whole front wing and scuttle are full of leaves.
2BDE1915-A2CD-468E-B54C-717432539EFF.jpeg

Back