Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water level display - what is normal ?

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi - new T6, just trying to gauge what is normal behaviour for the water level bar display in the overhead unit. (Fresh water).

When we fill the tank up we sometimes get 3 bars, sometimes 2. Then after literally a kettle of water we drop to a solid 1 or 2 bars then after a quick showering off of dogs feet we’re showing no bars.

There is loads of water left at this point. I estimate I filled it (from that state) this morning with only 6 or 7 litres max.

Is there a rule of thumb of bars = litres left?

Thanks

In my personal experience (on a 2011 T5) is that the gauge is a better indicator of the national debt of Papua New Guinea than it is as an indicator of how much water is in the tank!!

I've given up even looking at it.

I fill up the tank, use it for a few weeks, empty it to refresh the supply. Repeat. Sterilise the tank twice a year.

I've just learnt to gauge myself when it may be running a bit low.

The water indication on the fresh and waste tank are inaccurate on (nearly) every Cali since the beginning .
Been reported many times here on the forum.
Alltough you can ask your dealer to sort it out....witch i would not reccomend

Last edited:
No it’s not going to the dealer to sort!

I need to have a sit and proper search of the forum to see how the float/sender works and then I can play with it to see if I can make it work better.

Just ingnore what the display says , fill up when you can and empty when you can when leaving home/campsites .
When back home drain everything and start over when you leave for a trip.

Just ingnore what the display says , fill up when you can and empty when you can when leaving home/campsites .
When back home drain everything and start over when you leave for a trip.

Yep. After I read the previous articles on here that’s what I do. Certainly with the waste as I dump that when I can. I would only concern myself with how much water if I was heading for the Sahara. It’s a guide

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No it’s not going to the dealer to sort!

I need to have a sit and proper search of the forum to see how the float/sender works and then I can play with it to see if I can make it work better.
The wiring diagram shows the lever sender as a set of 3 switches with resistors, so should indicate in 1/3rds.. or 10L per segment.
upload_2018-4-5_16-35-47.png
and waste tank just full or empty

Thanks for the diagram, Loz. Never seen it before, where did you find it?

The picture confirms my common sense from the last nine years of our Cali: 10 litres of fresh water = one bar.

For me the drinking water sender and the CU indication is just a solution looking for a problem, as is the indication of waste water. Measuring a small tank with mere 30 litres is like measuring a liter bottle of cola....

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

I fill my tank up when I leave home.

I toss some water in it when I think it's getting low.

I drain it off when I get home.

Thanks for the diagram, Loz. Never seen it before, where did you find it?

The picture confirms my common sense from the last nine years of our Cali: 10 litres of fresh water = one bar.

For me the drinking water sender and the CU indication is just a solution looking for a problem, as is the indication of waste water. Measuring a small tank with mere 30 litres is like measuring a liter bottle of cola....

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

....in the downloadsection of the forum ;)

when I fill the tank I get 3 bars, even when not using any water I get only 2 bars after 48 hours, how can I know I have a leak or not?

when I fill the tank I get 3 bars, even when not using any water I get only 2 bars after 48 hours, how can I know I have a leak or not?
If there’s no water dripping underneath the van don’t worry about it. The gauge is eccentric!

No water on the floor but after driving with a reservoir which should be full, the outside of the car is wet, underneath the water entrance. That's not normal, is it?

No not normal. Possibly the cap seal is leaking. Take off & check seal would be my first suggestion. If it is wet underneath the left rear corner check the drain valve it properly shut. A few folk have had issues with drain valve not sealing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No water on the floor but after driving with a reservoir which should be full, the outside of the car is wet, underneath the water entrance. That's not normal, is it?
Either the filler cap is not seated properly or is broken.

The bodywork beneath the filler cap can only get wet if the cap is not sealing.

The wiring diagram shows the lever sender as a set of 3 switches with resistors, so should indicate in 1/3rds.. or 10L per segment.
View attachment 31811
and waste tank just full or empty
Found several topics related to fresh water level sensor issues but none exactly as the one I have. This diagram was perhaps the closest hit: could someone confirm what the supply voltage for this sensor should be? 5 volts? Twelve? Something else?

Problem is that the level icon on camping module is blinking and there's error code 5001 which - thanks to this forum - seems to refer "Short circuit to plus ". Sensor disconnected I have just 1,3 volts (measuring from the sensor connector; haven't been able yet to see if could measure straight from the module and also otherwise have a better look at the wiring). Therefore the question what it should be.

Sensor itself is giving following resistances:
Float at top (tank full) 471 Ohm
Second step 826 Ohm
Last step 2,0 kOhm
Float down (tank empty) 6,2 kOhm

In case someone has made similar measurements would appreciate comparison values. My car is 2005 and has the older plastic sensor.

Back