Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water pooling around boot seal in bottom left behind cupboard when draining fresh water tank

O

oliver100

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
So my 2020 6.1 ocean has various teething issue but this new one today has me worried!

When flushing the tank through I noticed water coming out of the boot seal area (coming from under the floor) and had a mild panic. I investigated and found the the filler pipe from the outlet to the tank was leaking slightly at the jubilee joints and nipped them up (still not perfect but better) but soon realised it only happened when I dropped a full tank of water.

Now the van was on my drive parked nose up which is a significant uphill slope and the tank was draining from brimmed with the cap off which creates significant flow. Doesn't seem to do it with the cap on (slower flow) and possibly not when the van is on the flat but either way I'm pretty miffed water can get in the vehicle at all when draining!

I pulled the gas bottle out and you can see where the water drains out of the bottom and it actually comes up through the gas bottle air hole with the cap off too so im assuming its just not perfectly sealed under the tank and sufficient flow can creep into the cabin at the right angle.

I have booked it into for a check under warranty but thats not until the 10th of October, so I just wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar?

Not been mentioned as far as I’m aware. There has been no change from T5 through to the T6.1. I’m not sure if the water tank is sealed to the vehicle floor around the gas outlet etc: but the reason was probably the angle of the vehicle such that the water wasn’t draining straight down.
Here is a drawing of the water tank and drain/gas locker. Part 21 is the combined water drain outlet and gas drop-out.
306232AB-B47E-4B15-A8AB-738384F71B4E.jpeg

That’s useful thanks, like you said it could be the angle, the vehicle is at about 10 degrees nose up on my drive. I checked in the manual and couldn’t see why this should be an issue but that coupled with a full tank and the cap off does expel water pretty quickly. I just assumed it would be a pipe coming through the floor like the waste which wouldn’t be able to do this...

I had mine leaking once, it was part #23 and 24, the jubilee
clips not being tight enough, that was only when filling up with
a hose.
Never had it with draining the tank though.

I had mine leaking once, it was part #23 and 24, the jubilee
clips not being tight enough, that was only when filling up with
a hose.
Never had it with draining the tank though.

yeh mine was weeping from there too when filling or if the tank was full. I initially thought that was the issue!

It’s possible this is just a feature and any Cali would do it under the same conditions. I’ll just make sure I drain with the cap on when on a steep incline until I get it checked out.

Does anyone know if 36 on the above diagram should be tight? Mine could be wobbled around easily when I checked?

Does anyone know if 36 on the above diagram should be tight? Mine could be wobbled around easily when I checked?
It’s not supposed to be tight with regards to lateral movement, I think to ensure the Drop Out remains clear.

Final question I promise! Do you know if 21 under the van or inside?

Final question I promise! Do you know if 21 under the van or inside?
I don’t know exactly, but I presume it must be below the floor pan of the vehicle so that leaking gas vents outside the vehicle.
You could remove the plastic under shield on that side to view the drop out and the water tank connection.

So my 2020 6.1 ocean has various teething issue but this new one today has me worried!

When flushing the tank through I noticed water coming out of the boot seal area (coming from under the floor) and had a mild panic. I investigated and found the the filler pipe from the outlet to the tank was leaking slightly at the jubilee joints and nipped them up (still not perfect but better) but soon realised it only happened when I dropped a full tank of water.

Now the van was on my drive parked nose up which is a significant uphill slope and the tank was draining from brimmed with the cap off which creates significant flow. Doesn't seem to do it with the cap on (slower flow) and possibly not when the van is on the flat but either way I'm pretty miffed water can get in the vehicle at all when draining!

I pulled the gas bottle out and you can see where the water drains out of the bottom and it actually comes up through the gas bottle air hole with the cap off too so im assuming its just not perfectly sealed under the tank and sufficient flow can creep into the cabin at the right angle.

I have booked it into for a check under warranty but thats not until the 10th of October, so I just wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar?
Our van was delivered October 2020 and has similar issue! It appeared to leak over the boot floor when we drained the tank. Vehicle was also parked nose up. However now noticed a slight weep from under the cupboard so have drained the tank using the sink tap. I am currently waiting feedback from VW customer services.
Any news following your warranty visit in October?

I’ve just had the same issue on my 2022 6.1.

Same situation it seems. Draining a brimmed tank nose up with cap off.

Was trying to flush the tank before fist use and ended up wit water pouring out where the boot catch is.

Has anyone worked out what is actually leaking or how the water is getting in?

I have also noticed a small drip on the fill pipe near the clip but think this is far too small for the amount of water that entered the boot!

Any help appreciated.

05F53039-FB5E-4D08-918A-1F1F6CD71BE5.jpeg

Back