Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water Sensors

Janno

Janno

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi all, just going through my Cali fixing things that don't work, can anyone advise me where I can obtain new fresh water and waste water sensors from ?.......are there any aftermarket ones available?......all for my 2008 California SE. .....thanks Janno

I would check the freshwater one is not stuck
First, also the waste one will either read empty or full. No aftermarket ones available as they are specific to the cali vw is the only place you will get them

I would check the freshwater one is not stuck
First, also the waste one will either read empty or full. No aftermarket ones available as they are specific to the cali vw is the only place you will get them
Hi Calikev, thanks for your reply... I took the sender unit out of the tank and found it split from top to bottom, I tried gently blowing it out with a low pressure airline and sealing it up with epoxy resin but to no avail... Will have to pay a visit to my local VW dealers... Thanks again.... Janno

I seem to remember that the plastic sensors (which often split) have been replaced by a metal one which hopefully doesn't split.
So if you get a new one, make sure it is not plastic!

Maybe somebody else can confirm?

My wastewater sensor has never worked. The dealer has claimed to have fixed it twice but I've never seen it come on - even when the waste tank is full to overflowing. I'll try again when it goes in for a service.

My wastewater sensor has never worked. The dealer has claimed to have fixed it twice but I've never seen it come on - even when the waste tank is full to overflowing. I'll try again when it goes in for a service.
Let us know how you go on Dm please...

Mine goes in next week as I ran out of water and indicator was on two bars. Waste never shows but haven't let it overflow. Does it just stop draining down the sink?

Hi Yorkie, my waste had stuck on one bar although it's empty, my fresh water has stuck on two bar reading and I found the sender unit faulty ( split)...it's easy to remove and check just incase the slider float has stuck.......
Mine goes in next week as I ran out of water and indicator was on two bars. Waste never shows but haven't let it overflow. Does it just stop draining down the sink?
Hi

I'm curious how you can get your waste tank full? What are you putting down the plug hole apart from a bit of rinse from cups etc? Are you doing the washing up?

Even if there is water in there I drain it off asap. Leave it in and it'll start to smell.
After every trip I stick the garden hose in the sink, open the drain cock and wash through.

Yes, some years ago, I think in 2015, VW changed from plastic to stainless steel sensor pipes. All cars after that year are fitted with metal ones, but some dealers have stocks of the plastic variant, so check that the part number is:
7E7 068 257 B

Regards from Amsterdam,
Marc.

I seem to remember that the plastic sensors (which often split) have been replaced by a metal one which hopefully doesn't split.
So if you get a new one, make sure it is not plastic!

Maybe somebody else can confirm?

Yes, some years ago, I think in 2015, VW changed from plastic to stainless steel sensor pipes. All cars after that year are fitted with metal ones, but some dealers have stocks of the plastic variant, so check that the part number is:
7E7 068 257 B

Regards from Amsterdam,
Marc.
Thanks for the information Marchugo I'll quote that number to the vw dealers....

Just to confirm the above, I ordered a replacement sender in Feb (I'm now on my third one!), and the very helpful people at VW said:

I can confirm that the part number has been changed again. The original part number was 7H7 068 257. This was replaced with 7E7 068 257 in 2013. The new correct part number is 7E7 068 257B.

The central pipe is stainless steel. The previous plastic pipe cracked I suspect due to water ingress and freezing. I paid about £90 incl. VAT. Installation is easy, if you have a pair of slip joint pliers; remember to reset the control panel afterwards.

From what I remember, the design was changed as a result of feedback, direct to the component manufacturer, from one of the German Cali forums.

Just to confirm the above, I ordered a replacement sender in Feb (I'm now on my third one!), and the very helpful people at VW said:

I can confirm that the part number has been changed again. The original part number was 7H7 068 257. This was replaced with 7E7 068 257 in 2013. The new correct part number is 7E7 068 257B.

The central pipe is stainless steel. The previous plastic pipe cracked I suspect due to water ingress and freezing. I paid about £90 incl. VAT. Installation is easy, if you have a pair of slip joint pliers; remember to reset the control panel afterwards.

From what I remember, the design was changed as a result of feedback, direct to the component manufacturer, from one of the German Cali forums.

Thank you DominicR for that info...you'd have thought that seeing as Volkswagen acknowledge a problem with the past sensors that they would be a little more forgiving on the £90 odd quid to replace it, you've only to look on Ebay at the stainless steel high quality industrial sensors selling at around £25 ( I know they wouldn't fit but just for comparison)..... I'll just have to tighten up a bit more on the wife's housekeeping budget.....lol....thanks again guys.....

My level sensor stopped working after my entire tank froze in minus 20 in Braemar one year, I'm impressed the tank didn't split.
Cheers for the part number guys. My local VW garage couldn't find the part number on their system, he put in a request to VW technical, I've been waiting 2 weeks now...I'll let them know the number :)