Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water system frozen

A

applejack

I meant to drain the fresh water system before the cold snap but I totally forgot and now our system is frozen solid, what are my best options?

1. Leave it alone and thaw naturally?

2. Plug into hook up and put a oil filled heater on a very low settings?

Thanks all

I’d go with opt. 2.

How much water is in there? Add a couple of kettles of warm water till it thaws then drain. ?

Can you put it on hookup and put a little oil filled rad inside for a while too?

Drained ours down yesterday just to be safe. Must say it is very cold in the mild South.

If you do put gentle heat into the Cali, open the cupboard & wardrobe doors to make sure the heat can get to all parts of the water system.
I'm always surprised at the amount of cold air that comes out of the cupboard when you open the door to get something out and the living area is warm.

This is a good reminder, thank you. I just went out to the Cali in the garage as we've left some water in it and it wasn't frozen (-2c in the garage though!), so i've just but the hookup cable on it and put a 500w oil filled rad inside on a low thermostat just to keep the temp above freezing.

I meant to drain the fresh water system before the cold snap but I totally forgot and now our system is frozen solid, what are my best options?

Thanks all

Can't you use the van heater to warm up? As Simon said, opening all the cupboard doors to let warmer air circulate?

I’ve found using my Ocean in the Norwegian winter, the water system works okay in conditions down to somewhere between -5 and -10 as long as the diesel heater is used and the cupboard doors left open. If it gets colder or you don’t do both of the above, the system freezes. The tank is very close to the un-insulated van skin. My advice, if you want to use your van in temperatures below -5, drain the water system. If you are expecting low temperatures around zero, you can still use your water system but you will need to keep the temperature up inside your van and keep the cupboard doors open. If you’re going to have any periods of non-use and the exterior temperatures are likely to drop below 0 degrees, you will need to drain the water system.

My advice, if you want to use your van in temperatures below -5, drain the water system. If you are expecting low temperatures around zero, you can still use your water system but you will need to keep the temperature up inside your van and keep the cupboard doors open. If you’re going to have any periods of non-use and the exterior temperatures are likely to drop below 0 degrees, you will need to drain the water system.
Couldn't agree more, we have the same experience. We have a separate water container to use and store inside, for when it gets really cold.
When you drain the system, make sure to leave the drain taps at a 45 degrees angle. That way any water 'trapped' in the tap can evaporate, and your tap won't freeze unexpectedly. Leave one at 90 degrees, and you could be in for an unpleasant surprise... Here speaks experience... :oops:

Couldn't agree more, we have the same experience. We have a separate water container to use and store inside, for when it gets really cold.
When you drain the system, make sure to leave the drain taps at a 45 degrees angle. That way any water 'trapped' in the tap can evaporate, and your tap won't freeze unexpectedly. Leave one at 90 degrees, and you could be in for an unpleasant surprise... Here speaks experience... :oops:

Sorry, but I have to ask, what happened when you left the tap at 90 degrees? My imagination obviously isn't vivid enough.

Sorry, but I have to ask, what happened when you left the tap at 90 degrees? My imagination obviously isn't vivid enough.

The drain tap has a ball valve, that encapsulates water if not opened in 45 degrees. Below zero, the water freezes, expands and ruins the ball valve.

BTW, if you also forgot to remove liquid food and drinks in glass bottles, do NOT heat the Cali. These bottles may be broken by the frost, but in frozen condition you can gather the broken parts. If thawed, you have a liquid mess in your cupboard.

Frosty regards from Amsterdam (minus 6),

Marc.

The drain tap has a ball valve, that encapsulates water if not opened in 45 degrees. Below zero, the water freezes, expands and ruins the ball valve.

BTW, if you also forgot to remove liquid food and drinks in glass bottles, do NOT heat the Cali. These bottles may be broken by the frost, but in frozen condition you can gather the broken parts. If thawed, you have a liquid mess in your cupboard.

Frosty regards from Amsterdam (minus 6),

Marc.

Thanks, I was completely on the wrong track. We use water from a 10 litre container in the Cali which I refill at each site. Though the Cali was at -3C this afternoon the water hadn't frozen. It sits between the front seats so perhaps has some insulation.
The worst mess I have had so far was some anti-mosquito spray. I left it in the overbed locker late last summer and the temp in the van got to over 31C.
The liquid expanded and came out of the container nozzle which made an oily mess over the contents. Lesson learned.

We had a can of antifreeze explode once, took the windscreen out from the inside.

As far as I can see this thread is about fresh water .........don't forget to make sure the waste water is drained too........

And reading this thread I just imagined that I forgot to set the valves at a 45* angle as I did last year … bummer, need to have a check tomorrow. Meanwhile, our water supply in the house is partially frozen. No water on the first floor and in the cellars bathroom … interesting :Nailbiting

We use water from a 10 litre container in the Cali which I refill at each site. Though the Cali was at -3C this afternoon the water hadn't frozen. It sits between the front seats so perhaps has some insulation.

I keep bottled water in the turned off fridge to stop it freezing, if the worst happens & a bottle does freeze & split its not going anywhere.

Here's a drawing that explains the principle. It was published long ago on the German Tx-board, IIRW.
Water is encapsulated between the casing and the valve ball, and when freezing the ice pressure can deformate the valve, resulting in a dripping valve next spring.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc

valve.png

Thanks all
Thought it was just me. !? Only my second winter with the Cal and last year was milder.
Same situation here,
Drain tap, pump and sink tap pipe frozen.
Suddenly thought about it too late after last weekends glorious sunny trip to Devon.
Suddenly realised what a crazy design to have such vulnerable parts next to metal skin.
Exposed to heat and cold. They could have been set in a polystyrene moulding like the tool kit,
Fortunately my garage accommodates the Cal so had to swap around vehicles.
I tried the internal heater for eight hours before bringing it back inside, no joy on level three.
With Cal inside within a warm heated garage, I opened all the cupboard doors and removed all the round spy holes snd gas lid. The drain tap freed within two hours but no water came out, consul showed quarter full. Fifteen hours for water to run and pump to work again. Not checked for damsge yet but no unexpected pools of water yet.
Neurotic? I was told by the dealer when I bought the Cal not to confuse the water and fuel tank as it cost £1000 to replace the watertank due to its embedded location.
Having had a large screen under wing washer bottle freeze and split a few years ago on another make, this experience means back to a gallon bottle for me as I thought as the inside of the Cal felt relatively warm that the water system was safe.
It’s not !!
Hope this helps someone.
VW a few mm of insulating material attached to quarter panel would not go amiss.

Ours has been fine over this cold spell, reading some of the other member posts it sounds like the Cali is designed to deal with temps lower than what we have had here this week.

OK so im nervous now. I THINK I drained her properly but the valve wasnt at 45 degrees? Is there simple ways to check it all now to see she is OK or do U have to wait for summer and re fill and try it then? Any ideas appreciated.

I always use a small oil filled heater with almost permanent hookup nowadays, with all cupboard/wardrobe doors open as has been mentioned. A few years ago I drained the system completely but found the reservoir pump did not work once better weather arrived and I filled with water. Garage replaced the pump saying they thought it had actually frozen despite tank not having water in it. I also have foam pipe lagging on the flexible hose which runs under the kitchen cupboard, on all the bits I can access as well as an offcut I wrap round the tap. With the cold winter we have had up here, I've been doing this since beginning of November. So far, all seems fine. Roll on spring!

Oh - fingers crossed. I had drained the water reservoir but didn’t know should have left tap at 45 degrees. Have had oiled filled heater on low for past 10 days when weather particularly cold but hadn’t left cupboards open. (now open & valve tap adjusted) Hope it’s not too little too late!

Thank you for the tap diagram marchugo, a picture is worth a thousand words.
In future I will set taps to 45°, this isn’t mentioned in handbook or by Cal trained dealership staff when breafing. Along with many other things I might add ?!

Back