Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water tank fill on GC680

L

leeb

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Ok...so a new problem identified which I will put out here. If you fill the GC680 water tank beyond the 100% indicated on the display panel, the tank will bulge significantly causing the grey retaining panel to move outwards and thereby ripping the aluminium retaining strip from the kicker board. So...make sure someone is watching the meter whilst you fill, and do not fill beyond 100%.
Take care when opening and closing the slideing door to check it yourself (if single handed) as the filler cap flap will be sheared off by the door (done this allready). I get the feeling we early purchasers are the testing board and these gliches will all be cleared up in later models. Incidentally there is no warning of either of these problems in the useless california hand book provided by VW.

do not fill beyond 100%.
Take care when opening and closing the slideing door to check it yourself (if single handed) as the filler cap flap will be sheared off by the door (done this allready).
I've not had that problem & fill until the water comes back out the filler.

Are you aware of the filling beep that you can set on the control panel to save you having to check the screen? set it & the beeps get closer & closer together as the tank fills up & turns to a continuous tone when you hit 100% . No need to open the door & can be heard outside the van with the door & windows shut.

Hi andy
I am aware of the beep facility...I have used. I did exactly as you say...shoved hose in filler hole and let run until water comes out of filler. First time ive done this and to my surprise i discovered the trim pulled away from the kicker and the grey panel sitting 15mm or more infront of the grey panel covering the gas cupboard...with the water tank bulging behind It could be that today is very warm and the plastic is softened (seems unlikely as the water was very cold)...either way it has happened and will be a pest to repair.

Similar to Andy I regularly fill the tank until the water runs out the filler. I’ve just been out and checked and there’s no similar issue the panels are still in position and the steel tie bar is still secure with no bulkhead damage. It seems as if theres more to this, I wonder if it was temperature related causing a pressure increase but then again I couldnt see there being a significant temp increase in 100lts of cool water. I also checked to see if there was a vent or something that could be blocked but couldn’t see anything. Is your filler cap the original VW one?

I've been thinking as well:
Even an extra 10% in the tank is only an extra 10kg which shouldn't have any effect.
Temperature increase shouldn't make any difference - even if there was massive expansion I would expect the small plastic prongs on the filler cap to break before panels start coming detached inside.
I am wondering if the whole tank has moved? I am not sure what keeps it in place normally.

@leeb - any chance of some photos with that side panel off - just so we can see how it fits together?

I think it’s a combination of a tight fit between the fore and aft panels and the metal strap over the top that sits in grooves in the plastic to stop it moving It is secured to the floor and bulkhead with reinforcement behind it. The tank itself is very rigid plastic. Could the damage be caused some other way?

I think extended warranty will be a good idea last time I was at the dealer I asked about this and believe you can extend the warranty to cover the entire vehicle including the camper side if things I never asked about the costs. .

Off to Glastonbury today...emptied tank to metered 100%...panel then pushed back into position and a screwed the aluminium trim back best I could. Obviously the screwz, having been ripped out couldn't be tightened. I will investigate further when I return and post some photos....and contact VW customer service (again).....they have me booked in for the tap replacement/recall so they can sort this out at the same time!

Perhaps it’s because the tank has no baffles. If you’re running with more than the 20l recommended the force of the water may have caused the damage

Happened whilst stationary...but a reasonable suggestion

I have a digital gauge on my hosepipe.

With the tank reading 14% it took 86L until water came out of the filler pipe.

With the tank reading 0%, it took 98L until water came out of the filler pipe.

I thought it was a 110L tank.

The Truma boiler carries 10 litres, so if filling from totally empty it probably is 110Litres

ok
Investigated with pictures.
Tank filled to 100% (just) on panel water meter.
As you can see the tank is actually touching inside of retaining panel, the extra fill last week clearly caused sufficient bulge to push the panel out.
Photo of damaged surround where screws have been pulled out.
This is not a good design and I intend to approach VW.

551c5273-790d-4e3f-bc54-5298a7aabba2.jpg

2444b543-f717-490c-8d50-e043c8d738e3.jpg

d5caa137-ee69-46cf-bafb-4ddded4d83c0.jpg

Mike has a steel band almost 2 inches wide around the tank. The tank is also shaped a little different by the looks of it.

image.jpg

My GC600 is the same as @T3Z-GB with the big steel band round it

It does look a little different...also it looks like you have clearance between front of tank and rear of panel....

It does look a little different...also it looks like you have clearance between front of tank and rear of panel....
I reckon there's about 30mm clearance down the side on mine.
I guess its a totally different shape tank as the wheel arch must be under there somewhere.

Aha...clearly a different tank in 600. Anyone had my problem with a 680?