Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water Tank Freezing

Fergie Collier

Fergie Collier

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We use our Cali all year and in these sub zero temperatures can anyone tell me if it’s age to have water in the tanks ?. I tend to keep the drain tank empty but some water remains in the greasy water tank. Will it freeze or will the pipes and tap freeze ?

Thanks in anticipation

We use our Cali all year and in these sub zero temperatures can anyone tell me if it’s age to have water in the tanks ?. I tend to keep the drain tank empty but some water remains in the greasy water tank. Will it freeze or will the pipes and tap freeze ?

Thanks in anticipation
If the vehicle is empty and unheated then the safest option is to empty both tanks and drain the tap and pipe work.
If you are using the vehicle and it is kept heated then fill and use the water tank but possibly leave the rear wardrobe door and L kitchen cupboard door ajar to allow the warmer cabin air access to the tanks.
Or use bottle water.

Shop sells special anti freeze which also lunricates the system, dont make tea with it!

Shop sells special anti freeze which also lunricates the system, dont make tea with it!
Is anyone gonna really fill up the tanks with anti-freeze?
Just make sure that they are empty and the valves are in the right
position.

Only really of use if you plan on laying up the vehicle over winter.

position.
I always have the fresh water drain midway between on and off. I learned this tip when we got our first Cali in 2010, but I can’t remember the exact reason now! I think it’s to prevent damage to the valve ....

In use and keeping the heater on, I’ve used the water system down to minus 6 without issue. Colder than that and it has frozen, even with the heater on.

Is anyone gonna really fill up the tanks with anti-freeze?
position.
I assume you mean both drain valves fully or half-open?

I always have the fresh water drain midway between on and off. I learned this tip when we got our first Cali in 2010, but I can’t remember the exact reason now! I think it’s to prevent damage to the valve ....
Yes same here, after emptying the fresh and waste water tanks i leave both the
valves half open as there is a small chance that water stuck in the valve can freeze.
Inside of the valve looks a bit like this-
images-35.jpeg
I assume you mean both drain valves fully or half-open?

Back