Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water tank & must have item!

S

SWRocks

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi there
We’ve just bought our first Cali and got it on the weekend, over excited is an understatement! What do folk recommend for the water tank that’s been empty and not used for a while? Simply flush through a few times or pop through a steriliser? If so, any particular brands you’d recommend? And if there’s one piece of kit for your Cali you couldn’t do without, what would it be? Many thanks

Hi there
We’ve just bought our first Cali and got it on the weekend, over excited is an understatement! What do folk recommend for the water tank that’s been empty and not used for a while? Simply flush through a few times or pop through a steriliser? If so, any particular brands you’d recommend? And if there’s one piece of kit for your Cali you couldn’t do without, what would it be? Many thanks
I just use this, from the Club Shop or Amazon.

Hi there
I would flush it through a couple of times. Then purchase some Milton sterilising fluid and introduce into the water storage tank as per manufacturers instructions. When draining the tank, open the filler cap to release the air lock. Then flush through one last time.

We use our baby’s bottle steriliser tablets.
can be found in any good supermarket. They are called Milton. Also available in liquid form which we use for wiping down tops and the like

Thanks all very much! Will give it a go.

Another tip, which might sound weird, but works:

The largest Dutch camper owner's club once did a test and it turned out that between all the products you could buy to clean your fresh water tank (and subsequently the grey water tank as well), the best working method was using steradent denture cleaners. These are tablets sold in a tube and they cost next to nothing compared to products specifically sold to clean your fresh water tank.

Another tip, which might sound weird, but works:

The largest Dutch camper owner's club once did a test and it turned out that between all the products you could buy to clean your fresh water tank (and subsequently the grey water tank as well), the best working method was using steradent denture cleaners. These are tablets sold in a tube and they cost next to nothing compared to products specifically sold to clean your fresh water tank.
Yep, Italians been using them for years in Espresso & Gaggia machines.

Now that is something I wasn’t expecting to hear!! I might just try it thank you!

Do not use Milton. Use Puriclean tablets or powder and just follow the manufacturers instructions :cool::cool::cool:

Milton has been proven to attack metal surfaces if left too long

It’s quite interesting that everybody is rushing round sterilising the water tank etc: but isn’t it more important to ensure the contents are sterile?
once water leaves the tap it is open to contamination from tap nozzle, hose, funnel or whatever you use to fill the tank with including contamination from the water tank filler .
Personally I prefer to have sterile water rather than a sterile tank.
Driving round with a part filled tank will soon clean the inside and then just empty it.
All Milton does is kill/sterilise anything in the tank, but doesn’t clean it as such any better than plain water and certainly doesn’t ensure that the water put in is sterile and remains sterile, unless of course you don’t empty the Milton out - not recommended.
You need to ensure the contents are sterile.

The original question was what to do with a tank that has not been used for a while with a newly purchased Cali. In those circumstances, surely it is better to sterilise the tank first to prevent possible legionella bacteria etc. So you are starting from a good place. Then obviously try to be as hygienic with the water you fill up with and regular cleansing of the outlet etc. I certainly would do that without ‘rushing around’ as a matter of course. Each to their own, eh?

It’s quite interesting that everybody is rushing round sterilising the water tank etc: but isn’t it more important to ensure the contents are sterile?
once water leaves the tap it is open to contamination from tap nozzle, hose, funnel or whatever you use to fill the tank with including contamination from the water tank filler .
Personally I prefer to have sterile water rather than a sterile tank.
Driving round with a part filled tank will soon clean the inside and then just empty it.
All Milton does is kill/sterilise anything in the tank, but doesn’t clean it as such any better than plain water and certainly doesn’t ensure that the water put in is sterile and remains sterile, unless of course you don’t empty the Milton out - not recommended.
You need to ensure the contents are sterile.
I take it you don't drink tap water then?

I take it you don't drink tap water then?
From the Tap in the house and from the Tank in the California.

Tap water from the Utility company has been treated, but once it leaves the tap and passes through any other connection/hose/container then there is a possibility of contamination, particularly on outside taps and taps on campsites etc:

I don't drink bottled water which often has a higher bacterial count than tap water directly from the tap.
And I don't drink it because it is one of the greatest contributors to plastic pollution and one of the biggest rip-offs perpetrated in the western world on a gullible public second only to the " Drink at least 3L of water a Day " campaign.

The original question was what to do with a tank that has not been used for a while with a newly purchased Cali. In those circumstances, surely it is better to sterilise the tank first to prevent possible legionella bacteria etc. So you are starting from a good place. Then obviously try to be as hygienic with the water you fill up with and regular cleansing of the outlet etc. I certainly would do that without ‘rushing around’ as a matter of course. Each to their own, eh?
Legionella? I would love to know where you read that?
I trust you sterilise your water tanks at home then?

By all means clean the tank of a new or 2nd hand vehicle, but that's all it will do using Milton etc:. It will not sterilise the whole of the water storage and delivery system from filler to tap nozzle. And how many with the rear hose connection remember to flush that out as well.

Personally I prefer to sterilise the contents rather than the tank.

Sterile tank and contaminated contents - problem

Dirty tank and sterile contents - no problem

Legionella? I would love to know where you read that?
I trust you sterilise your water tanks at home then?

By all means clean the tank of a new or 2nd hand vehicle, but that's all it will do using Milton etc:. It will not sterilise the whole of the water storage and delivery system from filler to tap nozzle. And how many with the rear hose connection remember to flush that out as well.

Personally I prefer to sterilise the contents rather than the tank.

Sterile tank and contaminated contents - problem

Dirty tank and sterile contents - no problem
In relation to the original question where there may have been stagnant water in the tank for an unspecified length of time in fluctuating temperatures, are you saying that legionella bacteria could not be an issue? If you are saying that then you are no expert. As I previously alluded too I was merely stating to the OP what I would do in their situation.
In relation to my home, no I would not sterilise the tanks or flush the pipe work. But if I had purchased a house that had been unoccupied for a period of time then I would be inclined to check out and flush the cold water storage system. I’m not really interested in what you would do, I was replying to the originator.

In relation to the original question where there may have been stagnant water in the tank for an unspecified length of time in fluctuating temperatures, are you saying that legionella bacteria could not be an issue? If you are saying that then you are no expert. As I previously alluded too I was merely stating to the OP what I would do in their situation.
In relation to my home, no I would not sterilise the tanks or flush the pipe work. But if I had purchased a house that had been unoccupied for a period of time then I would be inclined to check out and flush the cold water storage system. I’m not really interested in what you would do, I was replying to the originator.
Treated and investigated many cases of Legionella over the years.
some bedtime reading for you.

Treated and investigated many cases of Legionella over the years.
some bedtime reading for you.

Wow, you really are getting upset about this aren’t you? I don’t need your reading material, I have my own and you know you can’t argue with my advice in relation to legionella. If you are then I disagree with you and that (in the absence of any new discoveries in the legionella world) is where it will end for me. And please don’t finish your next reply with the ‘silly grin/ thumbs up’ emoticon.

Wow, you really are getting upset about this aren’t you? I don’t need your reading material, I have my own and you know you can’t argue with my advice in relation to legionella. If you are then I disagree with you and that (in the absence of any new discoveries in the legionella world) is where it will end for me. And please don’t finish your next reply with the ‘silly grin/ thumbs up’ emoticon.
Not upset. Just wish to inform Forum members that the likelihood of Legionella growing or being contracted from the California water tank is so small as to be unmeasurable.

Back