Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water tank recall?

MrNick

MrNick

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Our Ocean went into VW this morning to get the rear seatbelt fixed (it just stopped engaging) - and they've rung to say they're also fixing/replacing the water tank as there had been a recall.

Anybody else had this, or know what the issue was? I'm sure I read about it on here earlier in the week but can't find the post now...

Yeah that's it! Urgh that post fills me with dread, sounds like a big job, just hope its the same when I get it back :eek:

Yeah that's it! Urgh that post fills me with dread, sounds like a big job, just hope its the same when I get it back :eek:
:agreed Fingers crossed!

Do what I did when my SE went in. I insisted that I drove it into the workshop then proceeded to remove a deckchair from the tailgate, which un-nerved the Tec so much he promised to take extra care if I did not watch him. It was all good.

Also I have seen the body shop put a complete side in a Cali, which needed the whole side units to be removed, It came out in a few hours with no issues and went back in again lining up with the machine screws that fix it in.

Do what I did when my SE went in. I insisted that I drove it into the workshop then proceeded to remove a deckchair from the tailgate, which un-nerved the Tec so much he promised to take extra care if I did not watch him. It was all good.
Brave! Excellent!!

They know me there now, I have had a panel van two Cali's and four Caddy's so know them by name

I had a 'pin hole' in my original water tank and had it replaced under warranty. I just put some comments on the earlier thread, but it was not a problem, it took 5 days and the whole side unit had to come out. Great job by VW Sheffield. I did ask for a video of the work which may have put some pressure on, but I doubt it. I think they were more worried than I was!

We did not use both tanks in the 5 and doubt if we will in the 6 ;)

I had a 'pin hole' in my original water tank and had it replaced under warranty. I just put some comments on the earlier thread, but it was not a problem, it took 5 days and the whole side unit had to come out. Great job by VW Sheffield. I did ask for a video of the work which may have put some pressure on, but I doubt it. I think they were more worried than I was!

Slightly worried that your rank replacement took 5 days! Booked the van in today hoping to get it back today, but instead it will be tomorrow afternoon to get the water tank sorted - but we go away in the van for 2 weeks on Saturday. Bit worried that there's not much contingency if things go wrong or take longer than they expect. Might give them a call first thing to double check before they start removing the kitchen!! :Nailbiting

Slightly worried that your rank replacement took 5 days! Booked the van in today hoping to get it back today, but instead it will be tomorrow afternoon to get the water tank sorted - but we go away in the van for 2 weeks on Saturday. Bit worried that there's not much contingency if things go wrong or take longer than they expect. Might give them a call first thing to double check before they start removing the kitchen!! :Nailbiting
They didn't know why mine was losing water so the 5 days allowed for a strip down, investigate, order parts, have them delivered and then rebuild, plus some contingency. As I said, they were really worried about the job. If yours has already been diagnosed, parts in stock and the guys have done it before....you should be ok IMHO. I know VW service gets a lot of stick on here, in my experience, they do care and do tend to do their best, so far I can't complain. Although, in your case, I would be tempted to postpone until after your holiday and take a water carrier!
I hope all goes well for you.

So I spoke to VW (Manchester) this morning - apparently its not the water tank at all, so the original message I got wasn't clear, but its actually the coolant tank that needs replacing in my case. So that's a relief that my Cali isn't undergoing major surgery! So I guess only certain batches need the water tank replacing?

So I spoke to VW (Manchester) this morning - apparently its not the water tank at all, so the original message I got wasn't clear, but its actually the coolant tank that needs replacing in my case. So that's a relief that my Cali isn't undergoing major surgery! So I guess only certain batches need the water tank replacing?
OMG, not the coolant tank.

Having abandoned our tent in favour of the Cali we love the two tanks. Use them fully, makes life so easy.

I'm pleased it works for you which is great, We buy a 5lt bottle of water and fill it from the campsite tap, then bin the bottle after the trip (recycle of course) and wash-up outside or site facility's, so don't empty down the sink.
I don't want the hassle of carrying the extra weight on the overhang N/S then forgetting to empty it thus it going stale. When you do empty it seems to come out everywhere but where it should.
I'm thinking the waste tank must be worse with food bits going rotten in an empty tank after a trip.

Back