Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Waterproof mains cable splitter - does it exist?

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Has anyone ever seen a mains cable splitter which is waterproof, or at least rated better than IP44? I'd like to use one, but the hassle of sticking it under a box and on something to keep it off the floor seems a bit excessive. Unfortunately Google has given me nothing.

I realise there's the issue that my existing long mains cable doesn't have a waterproof plug on the end, so I'm assuming that I'd need either (1) a 25m cable from the splitter to the hookup box, or (2) to replace the current IP44 end of my existing 25m cable with a more waterproof one compatible with the splitter. But the finer details are up for grabs; I need to find a splitter first.

Under normal use an Ip44 connector will be fine.
It cannot be sat in water, but they are designed for outdoor use I.e normal rain etc should be fine if in doubt lift the joint off the ground and wrap it in Plastic.
a splitter can be plugged into the EHU box to provide two or more extensions from the box, the splitter is then sited off the ground and protected by the Electrical supply box.
remembering that Normal rain should not be an issue as long as the connections are not submerged.
IP44 connections are standard for EHU

69ED591D-7CC9-4EC1-A0BB-0622E59DD70C.jpeg

Has anyone ever seen a mains cable splitter which is waterproof, or at least rated better than IP44? I'd like to use one, but the hassle of sticking it under a box and on something to keep it off the floor seems a bit excessive. Unfortunately Google has given me nothing.

I realise there's the issue that my existing long mains cable doesn't have a waterproof plug on the end, so I'm assuming that I'd need either (1) a 25m cable from the splitter to the hookup box, or (2) to replace the current IP44 end of my existing 25m cable with a more waterproof one compatible with the splitter. But the finer details are up for grabs; I need to find a splitter first.
Something like this?

Here is a cover if you need / want one

edit: these boxes are not water proof, they merely cover the junction

Last edited:
Back