Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Waterproof pop-up canvas and new batteries

BEN TAYLOR

BEN TAYLOR

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi,

I have just been advised by my local VW dealer that all 3 batteries need replacing in my 2012 California SE. Fair enough, they are nearly 5 years old. I have read many of the battery posts on here but still have 2 questions:
1. Which batteries would be recommended for charging with a solar panel? (I don't have a solar panel yet, but thinking of getting one fitted on the roof. If I get 3 new batteries now I don't want to have to buy new ones when the solar panel gets installed)
2. What price should I expect to pay for the recommended batteries? As the van is currently in the VW dealer I fully anticipate having to pull my trousers down, but would appreciate any alternative pointers.

Separate subject - pop-up canvas. I live in Scotland and the weather is usually wet. My pop-up canvas just has a fly-mesh vent under the roof and fly-mesh window flaps. Its clearly not fully waterproof. However, the local VW dealer has a California parked outside with the roof up whether rain, wind or shine, and it remains fully waterproof and dry inside. Yes, I have a Cali topper, but its a right faff getting it on around a roofrack, and quite frankly, why are VW making only shower-proof canvas in a £55K vehicle? Is there a quick fix? Can I get the canvas replaced with a waterproof equivalent?

All advice gratefully received.

Are you experiencing any issues with batteries? Are they charging and holding charge. Seems unusual for all three to need changing at the same time!!sounds like a dealer on the make to me. I would get a second opinion

Hi,

I have just been advised by my local VW dealer that all 3 batteries need replacing in my 2012 California SE. Fair enough, they are nearly 5 years old. I have read many of the battery posts on here but still have 2 questions:
1. Which batteries would be recommended for charging with a solar panel? (I don't have a solar panel yet, but thinking of getting one fitted on the roof. If I get 3 new batteries now I don't want to have to buy new ones when the solar panel gets installed)
2. What price should I expect to pay for the recommended batteries? As the van is currently in the VW dealer I fully anticipate having to pull my trousers down, but would appreciate any alternative pointers.

Separate subject - pop-up canvas. I live in Scotland and the weather is usually wet. My pop-up canvas just has a fly-mesh vent under the roof and fly-mesh window flaps. Its clearly not fully waterproof. However, the local VW dealer has a California parked outside with the roof up whether rain, wind or shine, and it remains fully waterproof and dry inside. Yes, I have a Cali topper, but its a right faff getting it on around a roofrack, and quite frankly, why are VW making only shower-proof canvas in a £55K vehicle? Is there a quick fix? Can I get the canvas replaced with a waterproof equivalent?

All advice gratefully received.
Hi Ben, I'm in Scotland too and I have bought, but not fitted yet, a Brandrup ISO-TOP to solve the upstairs waterproofing problem. It wasn't cheap and the temperature needs to be 18C or above to fit it properly!

So do I and mine are a year older. Whilst it's all relative to use etc and I don't want to tempt fate To change all three seems excessive (unless they are properly buggered) I'll shut up now!

I still have original batteries. Leisure batteries last about 3days now . No problem with starter battery .

Ref batteries, never known 3 batteries to need replacing at the same time in over 50 years of car etc use.

However my Wife's EOS battery died within warranty and was replaced by VW, the replacement started to fail to start the car after we went away for over 3 weeks leaving the car standing after about 3 to 4 years. Replacement from VW was about £275 which seemed extortionate.
A bit of hunting around and I found a 5 year warranty one with a higher power rating on EBAY which I bought and have had no problems with it to date. I also have one in my old sports car.
I see they also do leisure batteries.
Delivery has been next morning.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/absbatteries/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Last edited:
Thanks for your prompt replies.

Yes, I have had battery issues for few months since (the same) VW dealer fitted a wing mirror for me. Timing could be coincidental of course, but since then:
1. I could only raise the pop top when the engine is running
2. I haven't been able to use the fridge
3. the diesel auxiliary heater only stays on if the engine is running
4. the battery has died after 15 minutes of the headlights on and a small mountain bike washer running from the cigarette lighter, with the engine off, resulting in a jump start
5. the rear interior lights all seem fine even when the fridge or diesel heater wont come on.

According to the dealer all 3 batteries were charged independently overnight (I.e. not through the system) and then tested separately in the morning. After a full night on a mains charger the dealer said the battery test box indicated that the
6. bonnet battery was "good but needs recharge", indicating 260 amps on a 320A capacity? (I forget exactly and don't have my notes)
7. seat battery was "good but needs recharge", indicating 230 amps on a 420A battery capacity
8. rear battery "needs replacement", indicating 220A on a 420A capacity.
All 3 had the needle indicator hovering at the red boundary - red being not good I'm told.
The dealer said that a reading indicating "good but needs recharge" when the battery should be fully charged is usually an early warning that something isn't right. My general understanding is that its usually better to replace both leisure batteries at the same time.

I take everything this VW dealer says with a big pinch of salt as I have had lots of issues with their work in the past. However, to their credit, they have always done their best to correct those issues and the people who work there are good folk. The mechanic took time to talk me through it. I haven't been charged for any diagnostic work but the sting is in the replacement battery costs - £700 including fitting and VAT!

Regarding the canvas / topper faffage, the Brandrup ISO-TOP is a great solution but I was put off by the reviews on challenges getting the top down again, the reduced breathability and the fact that you still have to dry the canvas out after each weekend away in wet weather. Of course the ISO-TOP and topper both provide insulation too. But for the price of the ISO-TOP, it might be easier to replace my canvas with the waterproof option that now appears to be on the T6....

Yes, I have had battery issues for few months since (the same) VW dealer fitted a wing mirror for me. Timing could be coincidental of course, but since then:
4. the battery has died after 15 minutes of the headlights on and a small mountain bike washer running from the cigarette lighter, with the engine off, resulting in a jump start
5. the rear interior lights all seem fine even when the fridge or diesel heater wont come on.

According to the dealer all 3 batteries were charged independently overnight (I.e. not through the system) and then tested separately in the morning. After a full night on a mains charger the dealer said the battery test box indicated that the
6. bonnet battery was "good but needs recharge", indicating 260 amps on a 320A capacity? (I forget exactly and don't have my notes)
7. seat battery was "good but needs recharge", indicating 230 amps on a 420A battery capacity
All 3 had the needle indicator hovering at the red boundary - red being not good I'm told.
The dealer said that a reading indicating "good but needs recharge" when the battery should be fully charged is usually an early warning that something isn't right. My general understanding is that its usually better to replace both leisure batteries at the same time.

I take everything this VW dealer says with a big pinch of salt as I have had lots of issues with their work in the past. However, to their credit, they have always done their best to correct those issues and the people who work there are good folk. The mechanic took time to talk me through it. I haven't been charged for any diagnostic work but the sting is in the replacement battery costs - £700 including fitting and VAT!

Regarding the canvas / topper faffage, the Brandrup ISO-TOP is a great solution but I was put off by the reviews on challenges getting the top down again, the reduced breathability and the fact that you still have to dry the canvas out after each weekend away in wet weather. Of course the ISO-TOP and topper both provide insulation too. But for the price of the ISO-TOP, it might be easier to replace my canvas with the waterproof option that now appears to be on the T6....
Correct - Leisure batteries should be replaced in pairs.
If you owned the vehicle from new have you been plugging the Mains in on a regular basis to keep the leisure batteries in good condition, monthly for at least 12 hours as stated in the Handbook?

I would check that the T6 bellows material is waterproof? and you would still have to dry it before storing for any period of time. Also not cheap - £500+

Leisure Batteries are normally AGM and a Solar Panel will charge them no problem, but not the Engine battery, unlike the Mains Charger, without some additional wiring.

Hi Welshgas,
No, I haven't had the vehicle from new, just a year, and I've never plugged it in on a monthly basis. I've never read a handbook or set of instructions in my life either. Both the above are highly likely to be the cause.
I'll hunt for the correct AGM batteries - thanks for the advice.

Hi Welshgas,
No, I haven't had the vehicle from new, just a year, and I've never plugged it in on a monthly basis. I've never read a handbook or set of instructions in my life either. Both the above are highly likely to be the cause.
I'll hunt for the correct AGM batteries - thanks for the advice.

OMG

I replaced the Leisure Batteries myself, bought from Ebay, easy job done in an hour, no detailed knowledge required. I think both were about £150

I've just bought some fabsil that I also used on my z3 convertible roof. Easy to apply and works really well. I'm going to do my roof fabric. I parked in France in a storm and it was very damp.
I replaced my leisure batteries too. From memory I bought Varta replacements that were fractionally bigger, not in size dimensions and paid, I think about £160 each from Bristol batteries which was considerably cheaper than VW. I wouldn't skimp on batteries, I'd always buy the best I can.

@BEN TAYLOR , this all seems wierd to me ,
How frequent have you used the Cali ?
Did you actualy never put it on mains hook-up ....? OMG!
Are you sure the batterycharger/ inverter is working?
Is the dealer you are using known to Cali's at all?

Last edited:
Thanks for all your constructive replies. Some lessons learned there.

Hi Ben, Just to say that I have just fitted the Brandrup ISO-TOP. It was relatively straightforward once I got my head around the instructions. Roof comes down without any issues but I do have a bellows bungee fitted. Makes the upstairs much darker and much much warmer! I doubt if I will get much chance to find out if it keeps the upstairs cooler in hot weather! A

Hi Ben, Just to say that I have just fitted the Brandrup ISO-TOP. It was relatively straightforward once I got my head around the instructions. Roof comes down without any issues but I do have a bellows bungee fitted. Makes the upstairs much darker and much much warmer! I doubt if I will get much chance to find out if it keeps the upstairs cooler in hot weather! A

Thanks Straad. Can you tell me if the windows in the ISOTOP are 1. plastic, 2. fly-mesh, or 3. midge (noseeum) mesh? Cheers, Ben.

Thanks Straad. Can you tell me if the windows in the ISOTOP are 1. plastic, 2. fly-mesh, or 3. midge (noseeum) mesh? Cheers, Ben.
Hi Ben, the windows are simply zipped openings in the ISOTOP. No mesh, no midge screen, just a zipped gap which lines up with the Cali pop up canvas zipped windows.

Hi Ben, the windows are simply zipped openings in the ISOTOP. No mesh, no midge screen, just a zipped gap which lines up with the Cali pop up canvas zipped windows.

Aha, of course. Thanks for getting back to me. I'll have to find another way of keeping those pesky midges oot!

Hmmm......good luck with that! I doubt if NASA could solve that problem.

Back