Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Waterproof Roof

Matt Rees

Matt Rees

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I'm soon going to be taking delivery of a Cali and am getting a bit carried away deciding what else I'll need for it. One area I'm unsure about is how best to waterproof the roof. I like the idea of an internal topper so I don't have the hassle of trying to fit an external one if it's wet & windy, however I also appreciate that an external one keeps the bellows dry for when you have to get back on the road and may not have the opportunity to let them dry naturally. I've read several posts about people using fabsil or similar but I'm not keen on the sound of that as it will reduce the breathability of the bellows. Has anyone used a hydrophobic spray like Hydrobead or Never Wet on their roof material as it sounds like it could provide the ideal solution?

I'm soon going to be taking delivery of a Cali and am getting a bit carried away deciding what else I'll need for it. One area I'm unsure about is how best to waterproof the roof. I like the idea of an internal topper so I don't have the hassle of trying to fit an external one if it's wet & windy, however I also appreciate that an external one keeps the bellows dry for when you have to get back on the road and may not have the opportunity to let them dry naturally. I've read several posts about people using fabsil or similar but I'm not keen on the sound of that as it will reduce the breathability of the bellows. Has anyone used a hydrophobic spray like Hydrobead or Never Wet on their roof material as it sounds like it could provide the ideal solution?
Not sure it would do anything more than the existing material - it's already waterproof - but you don't want to fold it away wet as that can cause issues...
Of should I say, fold it away and leave it wet. Some of us live in afeas where we don't get many days of dry weather without storm wind where we can dry out the bellows...

:welcome along to Cali ownership, bet you can not wait. We do not use any type of topper and have not had any issues although others swear by them. I have seen people who have bought and then never use much and sale on. We just treat the top like a tent - do not touch the material on the inside when wet to stop the wicking effect and if we put down damp or wet put up when we next camp we have done several weeks touring around wet and windy Scotland or if heading home a wet put up on the drive to dry.

carried away deciding what else I'll need for it.

All the kitting out can be expensive if you buy and do not use I would say be careful in buying -the old quote "only fools rush in" comes to mind. Can't comment on treating / spraying the Cali tent.

Last edited:
With any tent/bellows material there are 2 problems.

1. Water ingress through material.
An external or Internal Topper can prevent this. Waterproofing chemicals can have an effect but are not recommended by VW. All you have to do, as with any canvas type tent, is to stop anything pressing on the sides to prevent "wicking " through the fabric. This will/can happen even if you have a chemical treatment or an Internal Topper installed. You may not see it with the Internal Topper, but it might still be there.
2. Storing wet bellows.
An Internal Topper or chemical treatment still means the canvas bellows must be dried before prolonged storage to avoid mould/staining.

As long as you have the ability to put the roof up on the drive at home then it shouldn't be a problem to dry it eventually.

Think there are a few of these topics allready , the same Q's the same answers....

We wouldn't be without our Cali topper. Top
of our essential list. We are both under 5 ft 7 and have no issues putting it on!

Thanks for the replies. I was just interested to see if some kind of water repellant coating would mean that the roof didn't require as much time or no time to dry and therefore have no issues of travelling with damp bellows. Also meaning that I didn't have to store an external topper.

Thanks for the replies. I was just interested to see if some kind of water repellant coating would mean that the roof didn't require as much time or no time to dry and therefore have no issues of travelling with damp bellows. Also meaning that I didn't have to store an external topper.
I really don't think its necessary. The T6 bellows are excellent. We have not (yet) had a need for a topper from a warmth or water ingress perspective. The material is naturally water resistant and dries out very quickly. I'd certainly recommend that you hold off any investment or modification until you see how you get on with it.

I am looking for the sealant which can make the ceilings waterproof as all the time the water comes in from the ceiling when it rains. So looking for a waterproofing contractor which help to do the best with it.

Is there a temperature threshold at which a topper becomes necessary? I'm thinking about getting a California, and would be sleeping in it also during the winter here in Switzerland.