Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Waterproofing the roof bellows

Dannyfornia

Dannyfornia

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Alreet,

Can anybody recommend a way of waterproofing the roof bellows? Is it worth doing ? We have 6.1 ocean and there is only so much rain it can take before it starts to soak through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @Dannyfornia VW do not recommend applying waterproofing chemicals to the pop top bellows. Is yours leaking?

We’ve only had water ingress once (in the Outer Hebrides) and that was after a full night of torrential rain and very high winds against one side of the van.
These days, if the weather looks really bad we tend to put our Pucer Screens pop top wrap on.
If our van was older (out of warranty) and we had persistent leaks then I would definitely apply a quality waterproofing agent regardless of VW guidance.

B8CA0DB1-5EA6-48CF-A1AC-F6A443BD1E33.jpeg

I sprayed this on a month ago. One can did the whole roof. Left it to dry then put roof down. Seemed harmless enough. Best to try and cover the bits you don’t want to spray with a sheet or something. Seems to get good reviews and for tents.
Fabsil Aerosol Spray on Proofer https://amzn.eu/d/1Cq9jTR

We also have a silver top as Grumpy Grandad which we very occasionally use when camping out of season in the UK. Quite rare! We use it to keep warm but obviously it does keep the roof dry. It packs small and goes on pretty quickly.

Alreet,

Can anybody recommend a way of waterproofing the roof bellows? Is it worth doing ? We have 6.1 ocean and there is only so much rain it can take before it starts to soak through.

Can I ask how many times it has let go? These types of fabrics love a good soak and a good dry a few times to get the fibres to pull together? It may well improve after a few soakings.

Ive recently used some of that Fabsil spray to re-proof my motorbike clothing, seemed to go on well, although not tested in the wet yet, looks like that may be tommorow morning.

What do people use to clean the bellows fabric? I have the beige / light coloured bellows and looking a bit grubby. I know some detergents remove the waterproofing. I used some Fabsil waterproofing cleaner and water proofer on my bike clothing, but thats for in the washing machine, I wondered if I dilute it in a bucket instead and sponge wash the bellows whether that would work?

Hi @Dannyfornia VW do not recommend applying waterproofing chemicals to the pop top bellows. Is yours leaking?

We’ve only had water ingress once (in the Outer Hebrides) and that was after a full night of torrential rain and very high winds against one side of the van.
These days, if the weather looks really bad we tend to put our Pucer Screens pop top wrap on.
If our van was older (out of warranty) and we had persistent leaks then I would definitely apply a quality waterproofing agent regardless of VW guidance.

View attachment 102382

Grumpygranddad We also have a screen for the pop top but as we mainly wild camp it’s a bit of a faf putting it on. The water isn’t exactly pissing in either but the inside of the bellows is wet to the touch after a fair bit of rain and if you’re sleeping upstairs your bedding can get quite wet. That’s why I though there may be a product that would help the water bead off giving it less chance to soak in. With it being under warranty though wouldn’t want to void it by squirting some chemical on it.

Can I ask how many times it has let go? These types of fabrics love a good soak and a good dry a few times to get the fibres to pull together? It may well improve after a few soakings.

Ohh right I suppose I didn’t think of that. It’s probably been wet to the touch on the inside maybe 5 times. Tend to keep the roof shut if it’s pissing it down but some times you get caught out. I certainly wouldn’t describe the roof as leaking by any means but the material definitely soaks up the rain. Perhaps I’ll see what it’s like after a couple of good soakings as you say. Still interested to see how people have got on if they have used such a product.

Ive recently used some of that Fabsil spray to re-proof my motorbike clothing, seemed to go on well, although not tested in the wet yet, looks like that may be tommorow morning.

What do people use to clean the bellows fabric? I have the beige / light coloured bellows and looking a bit grubby. I know some detergents remove the waterproofing. I used some Fabsil waterproofing cleaner and water proofer on my bike clothing, but thats for in the washing machine, I wondered if I dilute it in a bucket instead and sponge wash the bellows whether that would work?

Yes that’s the kind of product I had in mind to be honest. Used it plenty of times on various jackets and whatnot. Was curious to see if anybody had applied it to the pop top. As for cleaning the bellows I haven’t need to do mine yet. Can’t go wrong with a bit of. Soap and warm water though surely.

My Cali is 10 yrs old. This year it has leaked a few times at the seams and front bottom corners get wet through.
I painted on fabsil with a brush all over and let it thoroughly dry before applying another dose to the areas that were giving me most concern. water now beads off, but front corners still seem to get saturated look. Decided to just get on with it - it only bothers me in french style thunderstorms.

Ohh right I suppose I didn’t think of that. It’s probably been wet to the touch on the inside maybe 5 times. Tend to keep the roof shut if it’s pissing it down but some times you get caught out. I certainly wouldn’t describe the roof as leaking by any means but the material definitely soaks up the rain. Perhaps I’ll see what it’s like after a couple of good soakings as you say. Still interested to see how people have got on if they have used such a product.

Are you leaning against the canvas when you’re up there @Dannyfornia ? If so that won’t help.

I think ours does feel wet if you touch it. As in touching it draws water in. It doesn’t leak if you don’t touch it. Ours is the older heavy cotton feeling material. They’ve changed the material a few times. I try and keep the bedding away from the edges if it’s raining in the day as touching it does draw water through. I think that’s normal.

Last edited:

I’ve never cleaned it in 14 years. Never needed to. I would probably only brush it gently.

To clean the bellows you could try dry vacuum with a brush attachment to remove as much dirt as possible, them use something like Nik Wax Tech Wash diluted in a bucket of warm water with a sponge or wash mitt.
rinse thoroughly. (Use neat on really tough stains, then rinse )
vacuum again after the bellows are fully dry.

I’d imagine you’d need to be careful not to let any surplus wax solution flow into the roof drains.

Alreet,

I don't know if this exact product is available in the UK, but this is what myself and every boat owner I know uses on their marine canvas. It's surprising how long it lasts and the requires just a touchup every other year. I've also used it on my Cali, but not experienced a good drenching since I applied it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AY1W7/

Our new T6.1 leaked the first time used, slightly less the second time. The 3rd time out last week in heavy Yorkshire rain and no leaks. It was previously leaking around the zips and window seams.

It seems a good soaking helps.

The next issue is to reduce the cold..!

We have a 6.1 Coast that has leaked a few times, the water just seeps through. Badly once or twice, when there has been rain driving at the canvas. Waiting for a reply from VW, but I'm not expecting a fix tbh. And I'm not too keen on the idea of the roof and canvas being meddled with even if they do offer a replacement. So the waterproofing spray is ready... and we will think carefully about which way we pitch up in future when there is rain forecast...

View attachment 20220604_090011.jpg

View attachment 20220604_085932.jpg

With natural fibres isn’t the theory that they get wet, swell and this natural swelling is what is supposed to stop the water ingress. I’ve had two bellows in about 10 years - the earlier thicker fabric and the newer slightly thinner. Lots of direct rain from 4-season use and I’ve never had a significant leak despite no fabric treatments.

Further discussed in this thread

I’ve used Johnson’s Baby Bath (Blue colour bottle.
Otherwise known as JBBB.
It’s used on convertible roofs to clean out the sing, and doesn’t contain harmful stuff for the fibres.
So I guess it would be good to remove grime from the bellows.
Test on a small area around the back first.

Just be aware that the material changed significantly for the better between T5 and T6 as I understand it.

Never had any leaks in our T6 - but if it's been raining stair rods sideways then the bedding can feel slightly damp in the morning if it's resting on the 'canvas'. For us, condensation is the more likely source of damp. But that clears when you crank the diesel heater up!

Have to say, I'm still amazed at how good the canvas is at keeping the weather out.

Just be aware that the material changed significantly for the better between T5 and T6 as I understand it.

Never had any leaks in our T6 - but if it's been raining stair rods sideways then the bedding can feel slightly damp in the morning if it's resting on the 'canvas'. For us, condensation is the more likely source of damp. But that clears when you crank the diesel heater up!

Have to say, I'm still amazed at how good the canvas is at keeping the weather out.
Have you got the new panoramic canvas.?

Nope. Just the regular moonstone grey three window variety.
I have noticed that with our new panoramic canvas it lets much more light into the van compared to the original fitted 7 years ago. With the 3 windows. Got to say though the fully opening front is absolutely fantastic..

I wouldn’t mess with if it’s newish. I’m sure it’ll bed in.