Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

We are due to take delivery of a T6 California Ocean- tracker advice required

T

Tlc

Vehicle
Please Select
Hi
We are due to take delivery of our new California (our first one) and are very excited, I telephone the Camping and Caravan club regarding insurance and was told that we would need to have a tracker fitted to it? Not sure if this is required and if so wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction
Many thanks

They do a tracker on their site with discount if I remember.

Tic Im also waiting for my new Cali ( 1st March ).
I have just bought insurance with C&CC today £596 with no tracker , i completed it over the phone and there was no problem re tracker.

We couldnt get insured without a tracker fitted opted for a Cobra track plus web

Hi
We are due to take delivery of our new California (our first one) and are very excited, I telephone the Camping and Caravan club regarding insurance and was told that we would need to have a tracker fitted to it? Not sure if this is required and if so wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction
Many thanks
I am also hoping for handover on 1 March. I've spent a lot of time researching insurance over the past few days. I didn't try C&CC but I have had quotes from Comfort, Caravan Club, Caravan Guard, Safe Guard and Saga. None of these required a tracker.

My quotes vary between £300 and £500 depending largely upon the mileage and usage declared. I'm still deciding. It's a toss up between Comfort and Caravan Club at the moment. Comfort are cheaper but I have some reservations about their 36 hour condition.

I am also hoping for handover on 1 March. I've spent a lot of time researching insurance over the past few days. I didn't try C&CC but I have had quotes from Comfort, Caravan Club, Caravan Guard, Safe Guard and Saga. None of these required a tracker.

My quotes vary between £300 and £500 depending largely upon the mileage and usage declared. I'm still deciding. It's a toss up between Comfort and Caravan Club at the moment. Comfort are cheaper but I have some reservations about their 36 hour condition.

Is the 36 hour condition, the one you have to report to them if the vehicle is not at your home and you are away from it for 36 hours?

Comfort seems to have some better cover, with £5,000 personal affects, new for old over 3 years (however mileage is limited), legal cover included and uninsured drive promise. However still deciding between the 2 as they have both quoted around £300.

Is the 36 hour condition, the one you have to report to them if the vehicle is not at your home and you are away from it for 36 hours?

Comfort seems to have some better cover, with £5,000 personal affects, new for old over 3 years (however mileage is limited), legal cover included and uninsured drive promise. However still deciding between the 2 as they have both quoted around £300.

Hi Dean,
Yes - that's the condition I mean. They seem to be the only insurer who imposes a condition like this. In reality it is probably not going to be an issue for me as I have an alternative vehicle for the 'airport run' and am unlikely to leave it unattended for more than 36 hours when we are away on holiday. Beware that the new for old with Comfort has a mileage limit of 15,000 so that would only last me about a year wheras the Caravan Club is unlimited mileage for two years.

Also bought from the Camping and CC and wasn't asked to fit any tracker. Cost £400 all in which I was very pleased with. My wife signed me up for the Camping &CC but I phoned the Caravan and Camping Club by mistake. Only when they asked for my membership number at end of quote did I realise I had called the Judean Popular Peoples Front as opposed the the Popular Front of Judea. Too confusing for me. Python fans may recall this one. The Caravan Club definitely marked me down as a 'Splitter'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My BMW was fitted with a Tracker Retrieve when new in 2007. Today the car developed an electrical fault but it could be jumped and driven to the workshop. When I got there got a call on my mobile from Tracker with unauthorised movement alert. Had to call and have them turn off the RF that alerts Police Cars in range. Quite impressed, if I fit anything in my new van it would definitely be Tracker, it's the only device with the RF alert.

Why bother with a tracker? if its been nicked I don't want it back, plenty of companies that would give cover without a tracker. I would rather spend the money on gap insurance to make sure I can replace it without too much financial loss.

Following a few threads on trackers and so started looking. Superuser to see that several of the SMS ones (where alerts are sent by text with the location that can be dropped into Google maps or an app) also offer a Stop option where you wire an additional relay into a circuit (they recommend fuel pump)
http://vandogtraveller.com/cheap-gps-tracker-installation-and-review/
This gives you the opportunity to send a text to the device to cut the power to the fuel pump, the vehicle will stop as it is starved of fuel, the thieves will, one assumes, leg it, leaving it for you to collect. Certainly would stop them if you hear them reversing off the drive at 2am after breaking into the house and grabbing the keys.
All sounds good, but I'm not sure about breaking into wiring in a new vehicle.
Any thoughts?

Following a few threads on trackers and so started looking. Superuser to see that several of the SMS ones (where alerts are sent by text with the location that can be dropped into Google maps or an app) also offer a Stop option where you wire an additional relay into a circuit (they recommend fuel pump)
http://vandogtraveller.com/cheap-gps-tracker-installation-and-review/
This gives you the opportunity to send a text to the device to cut the power to the fuel pump, the vehicle will stop as it is starved of fuel, the thieves will, one assumes, leg it, leaving it for you to collect. Certainly would stop them if you hear them reversing off the drive at 2am after breaking into the house and grabbing the keys.
All sounds good, but I'm not sure about breaking into wiring in a new vehicle.
Any thoughts?
You'll have to check with VW.
Also, I'm not sure if it is legal to have such a capability wired into a vehicle. Others may know better.

You'll have to check with VW.
Also, I'm not sure if it is legal to have such a capability wired into a vehicle. Others may know better.
I think the VW issue is the biggest concern as it could have unforeseen effects on the ECU, fuel supply, etc.
Legally I would have no concerns, it would only be invoked if the vehicle was stolen, the lack of fuel would cause the engine to die, bringing the vehicle to a halt, but brakes, steering, etc., would still function. They are, after all, thieves!
Also some uk police forces use 'Rat Trap' vehicles with similar technology to prevent a car driving very far, thought they should be closely watched. They also lock them in before locking them up!
On reflection, I think the GPS monitoring should be enough as I would not fancy messing with the wiring on a new Cali and risking warranty arguments!

the lack of fuel would cause the engine to die, bringing the vehicle to a halt, but brakes, steering, etc., would still function.

On my Cali if you stall the engine you lose the power steering and the vacuum pump for the brakes. Therefore no steering, no brakes. They may be thieves but if they come to any harm due to your actions you will be held to account, I'm not saying that's how it should be but that's the way it is.

I think the VW issue is the biggest concern as it could have unforeseen effects on the ECU, fuel supply, etc.
Legally I would have no concerns, it would only be invoked if the vehicle was stolen, the lack of fuel would cause the engine to die, bringing the vehicle to a halt, but brakes, steering, etc., would still function. They are, after all, thieves!
Also some uk police forces use 'Rat Trap' vehicles with similar technology to prevent a car driving very far, thought they should be closely watched. They also lock them in before locking them up!
On reflection, I think the GPS monitoring should be enough as I would not fancy messing with the wiring on a new Cali and risking warranty arguments!
I'm not so sure brakes and steering would be working after the engine is fuel starved, and if travelling at speed !!!. The operator would be responsible for any accident/injury to the thief or innocent 3rd parties.
Enough householders have been in court or even prison for using excessive force in the course of a burglary.

Snowy55 & Welshgas
You're both probably right, you wouldn't lose everything, but it would be more difficult to steer or brake - I wouldn't want to be the test case! (Or damage the Cali!)
That said, if you could see that the GPS showed it was stationary for a reasonable time, you could disable the fuel then, preventing it restarting, and giving time to locate and recover it.

Snowy55 & Welshgas
You're both probably right, you wouldn't lose everything, but it would be more difficult to steer or brake - I wouldn't want to be the test case! (Or damage the Cali!)
That said, if you could see that the GPS showed it was stationary for a reasonable time, you could disable the fuel then, preventing it restarting, and giving time to locate and recover it.
True.

I have just renewed the insurance on my California and out of the 6 companies I got a quote from, none of them required the fitment of a tacking device.
I gave the following details; retired 56 year old, vehicle use as social, domestic and (lots of) pleasure, parked on the drive, 6000 miles, one other named driver, full breakdown cover and legal protection, ALL of the vehicle and fittings covered. I chose Admiral for the 2nd year running as they gave a quote of...drum role please... £250.70. Result.

What did you say the market value was? The underwriters all have a threshold value to when a tracker is required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

40k for a 2011 se, dsg, 4motion, twin turbo.

I think the current threshold is £50k.

Sent using Tapatalk
I'll be picking up a new T6 Ocean in the next couple of weeks. I've been getting insurance quotes on the basis of £55K value. I've had quotes from all of the companies mentioned in the various insurance threads. Only RAC required a tracker. Admiral had to refer to underwriters but did then quote. I do already insure 3 cars with Admiral and they were the cheapest by a mile - £204! However they only cover £500 of contents and do not offer new for old. So I will probably go with Comfort and defer a Gap insurance policy for 12 months (saving more than £100).

P.S. Comfort are also prepared to throw in occasional Class 1 business use for me and my wife at no additional cost. I probably won't make much use of that but having the flexibility to use the Cali for work if my main work car is in the garage or I want to tack a few days holiday onto a business trip could be useful.