Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

We Connect - am i missing something ?

Ladymuck

Ladymuck

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I've read on here about this on here and VW website about all the wonderful features but how do I get it? I can't find an app, is it a SIM card ? I've got android app connect for using Google maps etc but I read that's completely different showing you data about the vehicle. It all sounds great but does anyone know how I actually get it? Thanks very much

Last edited:
So I've now read that I need to connect the data plug - I'm not sure I have one, are they already installed in new vehicles ? Does anyone have a picture of one ?
Many thanks

It's a small white dongle that plugs into the vehicle's OBCD port that on UK vehicles is under the steering wheel (just to the right of in fact) high up in the foot well. I obtained mine from a VW dealer. One then downloads the app from App Store or Google Play and using Bluetooth connect your phone to the app. I have not found We Connect very useful, others may have a different opinion. I have not come across any "wonderful features".

socket to receive this under the steering wheel. I took mine out when camper not in use as read (on this forum) that it could eventually flatten the engine battery.
1620029733627.png

It's a small white dongle that plugs into the vehicle's OBCD port that on UK vehicles is under the steering wheel (just to the right of in fact) high up in the foot well. I obtained mine from a VW dealer. One then downloads the app from App Store or Google Play and using Bluetooth connect your phone to the app. I have not found We Connect very useful, others may have a different opinion. I have not come across any "wonderful features".
Thanks, I read it gives a parking, fuel & locking information which sounds really useful. I'm going to look to see if it's there, perhaps installed before I took delivery in March

@Wildcamper is this where you mean? Should it be in the pink thing ?

20210503_102945.jpg

Hi,

I don’t have a dongle, nor do i think i need one, i have found we connect to be pretty pointless so far. I can’t think of any reason why it is needed in its current form as it doesn’t have any remote operation functions i just don’t see why it exists.

Hi,

I don’t have a dongle, nor do i think i need one, i have found we connect to be pretty pointless so far. I can’t think of any reason why it is needed in its current form as it doesn’t have any remote operation functions i just don’t see why it exists.
So you've connected to it without a dongle?
I read it tells you if you've locked the doors, that alone would be useful

yes no dongle required, i created an account on my computer, then used those credentials to log into the system inside the van on the infotainment screen and that was it. Yes it does tell me if the van is locked or not, but i am not sure what to do with said information as it doesn’t let me lock or unlock remotely, i think i would rather not know. For some reason i can flash my indicators or sound my horn remotely which would be useful if i was lost in a field of identical vans! My other cars can lock or unlock and turn the heating on or off so this does feel like a step backwards.

I think we are talking about 2 different systems?
Isn't We Connect an Option with certain In Car Entertainment systems and works over the Internet/WiFi, whereas the Dongle works over Bluetooth to a Smart Phone app.

I think we are talking about 2 different systems?
Isn't We Connect an Option with certain In Car Entertainment systems and works over the Internet/WiFi, whereas the Dongle works over Bluetooth to a Smart Phone app.
So are “we connect” and “we connect go” actually the same thing but one requires a dongle to work and the other does not? Or is their some other difference?

So are “we connect” and “we connect go” actually the same thing but one requires a dongle to work and the other does not? Or is their some other difference?
No, 2 different things.

We Connect is dependant on the Entertainment system fitted. It is a subscription service but you get 3 yrs free subscription with a new vehicle then £70+ / yr thereafter.

We Connect Go, works on any VW post 2008 and requires a free Dataplug from your VW dealer + a free app on your smart phone. This is a free service.

Last edited:
Frustratingly, VW seemed to have changed how "We Connect" works and moved most of the functions from the web based service to an App service. I got this email from VW (extract below) but it seems like the change kicked in 27 April 2021, which means that some of the features are moving to the VW web portal, and some of the other features are now just on the app. (I just spend 30 minutes trying to find the portal, but the VW web links just passed me from site to site and back).

We are starting spring with some key changes we want to update you on: the We Connect web portal will say goodbye on 27.04.2021. You can of course continue to use your mobile online services.1,2

In future, the following functions from the Car-Net/We Connect service portfolio will be found on the new myVolkswagen website:​

• Add vehicle
• Manage vehicle
• News (RSS feeds)
• Driving data
• Vehicle Health Report
• Service Scheduling
• Preferred authorised workshop
Go to myVolkswagen →

The We Connect app offers you easy access to the following functions using your smartphone:​

• Add vehicle
• Manage vehicles
• Volkswagen Ident procedure
• Secondary user management
• Driving data
• Vehicle Health Report
• Doors & Lights
• Parking Position
• Area Alert
• Speed Alert
• Horn & Turn Signals
• Online Anti-Theft Alarm
• Online Auxiliary Heater
• Online Destination Import
• Online Route Import
• Lock & Unlock
• Departure Times
• Air Conditioning
• Charging
• Service Scheduling

Note that this list of functions must be somehow dependent on something that I don't have in my MY20 T6 with the . On my app now, I have only "Online Destination Import". If anyone knows there's a way to magically turn on the rest of the features, I'd be grateful.

For completeness I have:
  1. Dig. sound pack "DYNAUDIO" f.California: 4 tweeters, 3 midrange speakers, 4 woofers, 1 11-channel amplifier
  2. Navigation system "Discover Media" with 6.33-inch touch screen and WLAN interface
  3. Car-Net Guide & Inform contract duration: 3 years
  4. Multi-function display "Premium" with colour display
....which in theory should give me more access than I seem to have.

Frustratingly, VW seemed to have changed how "We Connect" works and moved most of the functions from the web based service to an App service. I got this email from VW (extract below) but it seems like the change kicked in 27 April 2021, which means that some of the features are moving to the VW web portal, and some of the other features are now just on the app. (I just spend 30 minutes trying to find the portal, but the VW web links just passed me from site to site and back).

We are starting spring with some key changes we want to update you on: the We Connect web portal will say goodbye on 27.04.2021. You can of course continue to use your mobile online services.1,2​

In future, the following functions from the Car-Net/We Connect service portfolio will be found on the new myVolkswagen website:​

• Add vehicle
• Manage vehicle
• News (RSS feeds)
• Driving data
• Vehicle Health Report
• Service Scheduling
Go to myVolkswagen →

The We Connect app offers you easy access to the following functions using your smartphone:​

• Add vehicle
• Manage vehicles
• Volkswagen Ident procedure
• Secondary user management
• Driving data
• Vehicle Health Report
• Doors & Lights
• Parking Position
• Area Alert
• Speed Alert
• Horn & Turn Signals
• Online Anti-Theft Alarm
• Online Auxiliary Heater
• Online Destination Import
• Online Route Import
• Lock & Unlock
• Departure Times
• Air Conditioning
• Charging
• Service Scheduling

Note that this list of functions must be somehow dependent on something that I don't have in my MY20 T6 with the . On my app now, I have only "Online Destination Import". If anyone knows there's a way to magically turn on the rest of the features, I'd be grateful.

For completeness I have:
  1. Dig. sound pack "DYNAUDIO" f.California: 4 tweeters, 3 midrange speakers, 4 woofers, 1 11-channel amplifier
  2. Navigation system "Discover Media" with 6.33-inch touch screen and WLAN interface
  3. Car-Net Guide & Inform contract duration: 3 years
  4. Multi-function display "Premium" with colour display
....which in theory should give me more access than I seem to have.
That list of App functions may look impressive but broken down don't really add up to much in my opinion. I have MY 21 so no locking/unlocking, remote heater function works. The alarm function seems ok - i had both a notification and an email informing me that my alarm had gone off last week. Parking position is ok I guess if you ever forget where you've left your expensive cali! I have the basic We Connect so not sure if the paid-for version is any better.

Hi All
Hope no one minds me asking.(we conect)

Someone said you can control the aux heater from the phone..where /how. Please.

On the vehicle dashboard , I've managed to find doors locking when moving off.

Thanks

20211201_122845.jpg

20211201_122521.jpg

Hi All
Hope no one minds me asking.(we conect)

Someone said you can control the aux heater from the phone..where /how. Please.

On the vehicle dashboard , I've managed to find doors locking when moving off.

Thanks
I don't think anyone one here has ever had the parking heater operate via We Connect despite it being in the generic sales blurb. The locking / unlocking remotely works on some model years & not others.

I don't think anyone one here has ever had the parking heater operate via We Connect despite it being in the generic sales blurb. The locking / unlocking remotely works on some model years & not others.
Ok thanks. I've managed the locking and unlocking and a few other things.