Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

We Connect T6.1

The remote control that is supplied with the van is for the parking heater.
Alarm goes off, reach to bedside table & hit heat. 15mins later van is scorching hot with all frost melted. Just leave it running whilst driving until engine has warmed up enough to provide heat via the dash outlets.
I don't understand what are you looking to actually achieve that isn't currently possible.

The coolant heater is the parking heater.
I understand this one... its clear. I am more interested in the camping heating choices.
When we tried sleeping overnight on a cold evening and you wake up in the night and its cold, it would be nice to be able to switch the heating on (from the bed maybe) without having to go to the control panel and then worse having to switch the ignition on to change the heating controls. I think that being able to control the heating (a bit like remote central heating settings) from the app while camping would be great.

Ok prehaps a difference in terminology

Coolant heater = engine heater, warms the engine coolant up quicker. No user control.
Parking heater = blows hot air out the B pillar, works off leisure battery & operates from remote fob or control panel over mirror. Accompanied by a ticking noise from its fuel pump when running.

The control panel controls the parking heater, no need to turn on the ignition, you should be able to programme it to run all night although I understand there have been problems with early T6.1 heaters not running continually, search some of the other posts on here.
Your other option - one that we use, is keep your heater fob handy, you can use it to turn the parking heater on & off without crawling out from under the duvet.

Last edited:
This has happened to me twice now and I checked the rear door just in case and this was locked solid (I always wait for the indicators to flash and the "clunk" from the solenoids. I think VW have some major bugs with T6.1 MY21 around locking (and other things) which is why the promise of updates.

There's another quirk people need to be aware of with the locks.... I was sitting in the cabin of the Cali and my keys had come out of my pocket. When I moved I sat on the key and the Cali locked. I tried to get out but all the doors were deadlocked. I picked up the key and pressed unlock, which unlocked the doors again but about 20s later the doors automatically locked again so I repeated this by unlocking and again 20s later the doors locked without me touching the key fob and the alarm also went off because I was moving about.
What I found was, if I opened the driver door then everything reset back to normal. It is widely advised that you never lock the Cali with the key fob whilst inside but the automatic locking until the drivers door is opened is a bit quirky.

On the note about WeConnect and heating controls...
VW mention three heaters. 1. the climate control 2. auxiliary coolant heater 3. auxiliary air heater. The manual states that the auxiliary coolant heater can be controlled by the VW app. The California does not have the auxiliary coolant heater, only the auxiliary air heater which as we know cannot be controlled by the app.
Hopefully this may change but there is a possibility that VW are talking about the auxiliary coolant heater still in their communications. Lets hope not:)
I thought it was me going doolally.
I’d locked myself in with the key fob.
couldn’t open the sliding door.
Alarm went off.
Okay, so I understand now. Thanks for the this @Ray Jordan

This has happened to me twice now and I checked the rear door just in case and this was locked solid (I always wait for the indicators to flash and the "clunk" from the solenoids. I think VW have some major bugs with T6.1 MY21 around locking (and other things) which is why the promise of updates.

There's another quirk people need to be aware of with the locks.... I was sitting in the cabin of the Cali and my keys had come out of my pocket. When I moved I sat on the key and the Cali locked. I tried to get out but all the doors were deadlocked. I picked up the key and pressed unlock, which unlocked the doors again but about 20s later the doors automatically locked again so I repeated this by unlocking and again 20s later the doors locked without me touching the key fob and the alarm also went off because I was moving about.
What I found was, if I opened the driver door then everything reset back to normal. It is widely advised that you never lock the Cali with the key fob whilst inside but the automatic locking until the drivers door is opened is a bit quirky.

On the note about WeConnect and heating controls...
VW mention three heaters. 1. the climate control 2. auxiliary coolant heater 3. auxiliary air heater. The manual states that the auxiliary coolant heater can be controlled by the VW app. The California does not have the auxiliary coolant heater, only the auxiliary air heater which as we know cannot be controlled by the app.
Hopefully this may change but there is a possibility that VW are talking about the auxiliary coolant heater still in their communications. Lets hope not:)
The California does have the Auxilairy Coolant Heater. As standard it is automatic and operates automatically below 5 c. Check the labels on the Drivers door. There should be 2. Webasto and Eberspacher.

My Cali had an automatic update installed yesterday and I had to reload the WeConnect App today. I got the usual ..
IMG_7385.jpg
but the services remain the same as before. Has anyone noticed any difference?

Boooooooooo. Rubbishhhhhhh !!
In a 2 old blokes in the Muppet style

My Cali had an automatic update installed yesterday and I had to reload the WeConnect App today. I got the usual ..
View attachment 70264
but the services remain the same as before. Has anyone noticed any difference?
Unbeleivable!, I notice the non esim sat navs have a Nov 2020 map update, maybe that is what was sent?

Has anyone had experience of te alarm warning / notification / vehicle find on a t6.1 media pro? Does it work?

@mikeelawson
Both have worked well for me so far...

The alarm notification will differentiate between alarm conditions as well i.e. the notification will inform you that it was an internal movement or trailer removed etc.

IMG_7401.jpg

As you can see.. you can set an area on a map that will notify if the vehicle left that area as well.

The route to vehicle works well too.

All of this is dependant of course on GPS, GPRS data signal for the Cali and your phone and notifications need to be set up for the WeConnect app as well :)

Hi all

I’ve also paid for the We connect subscription for three years but have not yet experimented with it. This is partly to do with requiring an online sim connect / contract I believe. Is this correct and what sim contract has everyone elected for? I believe there are two slots for sims where one sim socket is already taken by the one supplied at factory. So does that mean I cannot attach my own contract to this sim that’s already in the car and only if I put my own one in? And once I have my own sim in, does it mean I can hotspot it and presumably use we connect app?

Sorry for the million questions and potential thread hijack but from reading all of the posts, it doesn’t sound like value for money.

Hi all

I’ve also paid for the We connect subscription for three years but have not yet experimented with it. This is partly to do with requiring an online sim connect / contract I believe. Is this correct and what sim contract has everyone elected for? I believe there are two slots for sims where one sim socket is already taken by the one supplied at factory. So does that mean I cannot attach my own contract to this sim that’s already in the car and only if I put my own one in? And once I have my own sim in, does it mean I can hotspot it and presumably use we connect app?

Sorry for the million questions and potential thread hijack but from reading all of the posts, it doesn’t sound like value for money.
I connect my WeConnect App to my Cali using the factory fitted SIM. Works fine (albeit some WeConnect functions are NOT supported on MY21 Californias).
For WiFi in the van I currently use my iPhone as a hotspot as I have an unlimited data plan.

I connect my WeConnect App to my Cali using the factory fitted SIM. Works fine (albeit some WeConnect functions are NOT supported on MY21 Californias).
For WiFi in the van I currently use my iPhone as a hotspot as I have an unlimited data plan.
Thanks, mind if I ask, did you attach your own contract to the sim or did use the telecoms company recommended by VW i.e Cubic Telecom?

Thanks, mind if I ask, did you attach your own contract to the sim or did use the telecoms company recommended by VW i.e Cubic Telecom?
Neither is needed for WeConnect in my va, the embedded SIM in the does the job.

For Internet browsing and streaming etc I use my iPhone as a hotspot.

BTW, When I was considerinf trialing Cubic Telecom, I found communication with them to be impossible. They never responded to my query and still haven’t. I think others on here have had poor experience of them also.

Can anybody summarize for me what should I choose in a Beach Camper model to have "We Connect"? What options are necessary ("Discover Media", "Discover Pro"...)? What kind of subscriptions are available?
Thank you!

Anyone know if the We Connect will still work if I take the vehicle to South America?

Anyone know if the We Connect will still work if I take the vehicle to South America?
Only one way to find out!

Have Waze on your phone as a back up for satnav, this works fine over there and lots of users so you get live data...provided you have a mobile signal. Prepaid sim probably a good idea.

I’d like to be able to control the lights via the app. But at the moment the app is absolutely useless