Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Webasto or Planar heater.

CannonDale

CannonDale

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I am looking at getting one of the above fitted to my Beach, does anyone know which is quieter, Webasto or Planar. I will be having the non ticking pump fitted so just wondering about the actual heater noise. The planar is brushless but not sure about the webasto.

Next time I see CaliKev in the van we can compare. I find the webasto fan noise is quite noticeable on startup but as i have the thermostatic controller and once to temp the fan winds down.

My view of the webasto is if you get the thermostatic controller you must have temp sensor addon otherwise it isnt accurate and you may as well just stick with the 1-5 type controller.

Next time I see CaliKev in the van we can compare. I find the webasto fan noise is quite noticeable on startup but as i have the thermostatic controller and once to temp the fan winds down.

My view of the webasto is if you get the thermostatic controller you must have temp sensor addon otherwise it isnt accurate and you may as well just stick with the 1-5 type controller.
Matt, Thanks that would be really helpful.

Planar does seem to be a slightly cheaper option too, I think I'd be tempted if I was buying all over again.

@calikev happy to just video mine via the phone not sure how accurate it would be. I have a decibel meter at home.

Planar does seem to be a slightly cheaper option too, I think I'd be tempted if I was buying all over again.

@calikev happy to just video mine via the phone not sure how accurate it would be. I have a decibel meter at home.
Matt, Yes planar is cheaper, looking at the app and SIM card option that allows you to turn it on from your phone.

How much are they for planar? I fancy a remote kit for mine but just cant quite bring myself to spend the cash.

I'm considering getting a Planar heater installed into my Beach and Planar Uk are recommending an internal installation under the drivers seat. My initial preference was outside for something that is burning diesel and makes a noise (light sleeper). Any thoughts welcome.

My webasto is outside under the chassis in a specific bracket and fits nicely underneath. It did involve some holes being cut or widened which may be why they are recommending this install? It may be less invasive and even involve no cutting as you can use existing plugged ports in the floor? Simpler install may mean a cheaper price which may be attractive?

Many conversions do indeed have them inside, as do boats without any issues, they are generally a safe bit of kit if installed correctly. Personally I think I am like you, I prefer mine on the outside and would install something there again if I was starting again. I don't have enough experience to know if it is genuinely safer or not but if something did go wrong (rare) at least its outside and will give me more time?

I've never seen a Planar & have a retrofitted Webasto in my T6 Beach with only a simple dial controller at base of b-pillar, does the job for the amount it's used.

This feels like one of those binary choices where you could drive yourself mad agonising, when in reality there aren't any bad options. I try not to make glib decisions, but my sanity-saving mantra is now "we are where we are ..."

Had a Planar heater fitted by Planar Pete yesterday. He did a cracking job, great workman ship and I’m really pleased with it. I went for the silent fuel pump, modem and OEM vents. All looks great.

I tested it a bit last night, you can hear it but it’s not loud it’s just a fan sound. First night away with the family in the camper is next Friday so that will be the proper test.

I was debating whether to go with Webasto via Slidepods or Planar Pete. I decided to go with Planar Pete in the end as I liked the idea of being able to control the heater from my phone, the convenience of Pete coming to my house to fit it, the price, and the fact that Devon is quite far from me and would have meant a couple of days off work.

Good luck with your decision!

Had a Planar heater fitted by Planar Pete yesterday. He did a cracking job, great workman ship and I’m really pleased with it. I went for the silent fuel pump, modem and OEM vents. All looks great.

I tested it a bit last night, you can hear it but it’s not loud it’s just a fan sound. First night away with the family in the camper is next Friday so that will be the proper test.

I was debating whether to go with Webasto via Slidepods or Planar Pete. I decided to go with Planar Pete in the end as I liked the idea of being able to control the heater from my phone, the convenience of Pete coming to my house to fit it, the price, and the fact that Devon is quite far from me and would have meant a couple of days off work.

Good luck with your decision!
Ok, so it was your van that was on his fab page yesterday, it looked great. I am having the same as you in a few weeks time, trim, modem, silent pump.

Ok, so it was your van that was on his fab page yesterday, it looked great. I am having the same as you in a few weeks time, trim, modem, silent pump.

Ha, it was indeed! Good luck with it but I’m sure you’ll be delighted with it.

Hi , just had Planar heater fitted , now rebranded Autoterm , is very quiet no pump noise , £800 fully fitted including 7 day timer , went to Matthew at Colne Engaine, just outside Colchester

I am looking at getting one of the above fitted to my Beach, does anyone know which is quieter, Webasto or Planar. I will be having the non ticking pump fitted so just wondering about the actual heater noise. The planar is brushless but not sure about the webasto.
Just to update this thread, heater fitted by Planar Pete yesterday, OEM trim and works great. Top install from Pete, highly recommend him.

After seeing pictures of planer petes work and others on that note, I’d rather get an extra duvet at night than have 40k worth Of bus hacked up.

Can you post me a link for Planar PETE’s work as the work he did on mine was exemplary.
This is off a Facebook post so not my pictures or van, this guy seemed pleased but I disagree.

1C834030-B533-4B69-A2C7-4C03C0FBE6EA.png

99CDEFFD-DB7F-43DC-897C-5F6A481AF525.png

Back